Home

Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400

This is a discussion on Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
But by dropping the price twice in the year it is now a more valid comparison. The price drop hasn't even happened yet so we don't know if it will truly spark PS3 sales over Christmas or if the PS3 will consider to disappoint.

As for the WIFI, it is nice to have it. I don't even play online but its nice to have just for the system updates, ESPN radio stuff on NCAA and downloading demos. While many people may not want a lot of this extra stuff, it used to cost someone at least $150 more to get a comparable PS3 vs. a 360. That difference will be down to $50 and when you factor in that its more reliable, can play Blu Ray discs, has a built in Wifi and that you don't need a transfer kit and memory card to share files it may be a big thing.

I don't expect any 360 owner out there to trade in their system for a PS3 but Sony is looking at future sales, particularly since there are a ton of PS2 owners out there that still haven't upgraded. They want to keep them in the Sony family. Most buyers out there will only buy one console and 95% of the games can be bought and played on both systems. If price is no longer a factor they may just stick with Sony due to familiarity.
Exactly, they should have thought about price and timing a few years ago and they'd still be on top.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
That's wonderful.
What was the point of that response? Bring something productive to the discussion if you're going to respond to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
apparently not, if they have to drop the price twice in it's first year.

The wifi and HD DVD addon price stuff for the 360 has been talked to death. The period to that discussion is that you don't need to pay for any of that. I'm fine with a cable to my 360, as it sits in a corner anyways. They probably could have dumped the internal wifi for the 40 gig ps3 as well, since if you buying the cheapest model ps3, you probably couldn't care less about wifi in your home.
Wifi is probably more abundant than you may give it credit for. For people with their PS3 in the living room and a modem, router in an office or bedroom, it's pretty inconvenient to run a cable across the whole home or apt. The PS3's price shows that MS jacks the price of that wifi adapter too much.

Last edited by Benicio10; 10-05-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #35
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicio10
What was the point of that response? Bring something productive to the discussion if you're going to respond to me.

Wifi is probably more abundant than you may give it credit for. For people with their PS3 in the living room and a modem, router in an office or bedroom, it's pretty inconvenient to run a cable across the whole home or apt. The PS3's price shows that MS jacks the price of that internal wifi adapter too much.
I just didn't see the point in you talking about your love affair with the ps3 and talking about the lack of wifi in the 360. The point of this thread wasn't about what you liked, it's about the new ps3.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I just didn't see the point in you talking about your love affair with the ps3 and talking about the lack of wifi in the 360. The point of this thread wasn't about what you liked, it's about the new ps3.
Yes, and then we started seeing PS3 bashing cuz of it's price, and I pointed out how it's a good value, especially after this price cut, when you look at all of these factors.

Am I vindicated now jmood? lol.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #37
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
You gotta stop with the bold man. Please...
Joe... I've actually calmed down quite a bit...

Old 10-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #38
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicio10

Wifi is probably more abundant than you may give it credit for. For people with their PS3 in the living room and a modem, router in an office or bedroom, it's pretty inconvenient to run a cable across the whole home or apt. The PS3's price shows that MS jacks the price of that internal wifi adapter too much.

As bkfount mentioned, you can argue this round and round and never get anywhere. I am using a network bridge i purchased for my original xbox several years ago with updated firmware to get the 360 online. Only wire is from 360 to bridge which is sitting right next to it. And with the bridge i can connect my other devices which dont have wifi that can be on the network at the same time.

You can purchase one of those network bridges ( now called adapters) for cheap practically anywhere.

is it more convenient to just use wifi to connect? sure it is, but that doesnt mean that there arent ways around it without having to pay the costs for the official wireless adapter.

The other argument you can make is that hard wired devices are more stable than wireless as far as connection and set up. YMMV but if i had the luxury of running cat5's all over my house in a way to make it work visually ( the same way electrical outlets run), i would prefer to go that route than having wireless devices. Saves me time having to configure my wireless network and troubleshoot when something isnt working even though it should be.

Last edited by Bacardi151; 10-05-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #39
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
The wifi and HD DVD addon price stuff for the 360 has been talked to death.
Most of what's been mentioned in this thread has already been talked to death in a 100 other threads. How about those who do not have, or never intend to have a PS3 just stay out of threads like this? Why did the mention of a new PS3 model have to (once again) turn into a 360 vs PS3 pissing match?

As an owner of a Wii and Xbox (original), I'm still undecided about whether to get a PS3 or 360. I'd prefer to see these types of threads remain on the original topic rather than turn into another comparison thread.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #40
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi151
if you dont need the wireless adapter then you save yourself 100 bucks. I know plenty of people who use CAT5 to connect their 360.

What it comes down to is what is important to the individual. As you said, you dig the blue-ray, but personally i am not ready to jump on either format yet, so the blue ray would go to waste as i have no interest in upgrading my dvd collection to blue ray just yet.

Pay no attention to people who get kicks out of 'bashing' a device, much less a console.

There are a ton of great ps2 games which alot of people might have never gotten a chance to play. Having the ability to go back and play some of those classics is a great way to increase your game library and allow gamers to keep those games they consider "gems".
Hey what's a Cat5

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »