Home

Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400

This is a discussion on Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Hey what's a Cat5
Category 5 Ethernet cable... it's been the standard for a while but.. cat6 is starting to come around

Quote:
Sony UK boss Ray Maguire says that money previously invested in PlayStation 3's backwards compatibility with PS2 is better spent on new game development or helping to support hardware price cuts.

"As we come to our first Christmas with the PlayStation 3 there's going to be about 65 games in the marketplace, so we feel now that there's sufficient choice in the marketplace and that we're still better off using that money that we'd put into backwards compatibility in either investing in new games or using that money to help support bringing the price down so that people can get into the franchise," Maguire told our sister site GamesIndustry.biz in an interview due to be published on Monday.
Advertisement

He was speaking in light of today's news that Sony plans to launch a 40GB PlayStation 3 without backwards compatibility support on 10th October for GBP 299.

When PS3 first launched, Sony felt that backwards compatibility was an important feature as there were relatively few games for the new system, Maguire explained.

"So it was a big decision," he said of facility's removal, "and we know it is a very emotive subject as lots of people think that backwards compatibility is high on the agenda and yet few really use it."
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84831
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #42
All Star

bkfount's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaGenecyst
how does putting a ps2 on a chip into the ps3 drive the price up more than say, actually developing software to run emulation? MS has to have a team of people doing updates, and they still always leave out favorite games. The ps3 had a ps2 on a chip, which allows much easier BC.

maybe I'm missing something. It seems to me that the switch wouldn't really save them much to proclaim it would be great for future game development. Sounds like some spin.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #43
MVP

With the inevitable hardware cuts from the cheaper 40GB model, we take a look at how differently they will actually appear. Sony today also released a picture of the new SKU which - at closer investigation, is rather different from previous models.

-Naturally the USB ports are down to 2 from 4.

-The cover that had the media slot readers underneath seems to have been removed.

-The PS3 icon on the chrome tray seems to be painted onto the metal instead of being an external part.

-Rumour is that also the 'PLAYSTATION 3' text on the machine is also painted onto it instead of being a semi-external aspect.

-And interestingly, there seem to be less ventilation holes for the new model.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #44
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaGenecyst

With the inevitable hardware cuts from the cheaper 40GB model, we take a look at how differently they will actually appear. Sony today also released a picture of the new SKU which - at closer investigation, is rather different from previous models.

-Naturally the USB ports are down to 2 from 4.

-The cover that had the media slot readers underneath seems to have been removed.

-The PS3 icon on the chrome tray seems to be painted onto the metal instead of being an external part.

-Rumour is that also the 'PLAYSTATION 3' text on the machine is also painted onto it instead of being a semi-external aspect.

-And interestingly, there seem to be less ventilation holes for the new model.
This is crazy that they release this thing without BC. Just imagine people that are buying this hoping that they can play PS2 games on it and they won't be able to.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #45
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

Heres my question. I play mainly sports games and I'm sure the Ps3 next year games will run at 60fps. With the news of that low price for a ps3 and blueray, Should I wait for the this machine or Get the 360 now??? What would you do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
Heres my question. I play mainly sports games and I'm sure the Ps3 next year games will run at 60fps. With the news of that low price for a ps3 and blueray, Should I wait for the this machine or Get the 360 now??? What would you do?
I only have a 360 but if you play sports. And if the sports games will run 60fps next i say go for it b/c......You get to play MLB THE SHOW and if you want NBA 08. Not sure about how the online is for sports games?

PSN Brandon26ms
Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #47
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

OVR: 25

also tim, its much easier to transfer rosters on ps3. just use a usb drive.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #48
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
A couple months ago I would not have said this, but, honestly, take NBA 2K8, Skate and NHL 08 as the guinea pigs: all are virtually identical on both systems. Now this is still just speculation, admittedly, but it's possible that the days of 'crappy ports' and the like are already over for the PS3. Plus, it's been confirmed that the PS3 will be the lead platform for the football games next year, and that's on top of the fact that the PS3 is the better piece of hardware (in more ways than one). Seriously, to me it's looking like the PS3 is primed to start meeting expectations and will surpass the 360 outright within the next year.

Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 10-06-2007 at 12:00 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »