Home

Let's Talk About Review Scores

This is a discussion on Let's Talk About Review Scores within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Question Let's Talk About Review Scores

Am I the only one who's a little confused?

1. It seems to me that 90% of games score 7.0 or higher.

I'll assume this isn't statistically correct, but honestly, games that score lower than 7, nine times out of ten I've never heard of them anyway. The vast majority of popular games are coming in between 7 and 9.

2. Is a 7 good or bad?

Most games that score in the 7-range are considered crap. Why?

3. It defeats the entire 1-10 scale if only the very worst games score any lower than 6.

I've read reviews that bash a game from beginning to end, only to see a final score of 6.5 or even 7. Likewise, games with rave reviews oftentimes are scored an 8 or 8.5. What the hell is going on here? The difference between a good game and a utter heap of crap is 1.5 points? Another example. IGN scores NBA 2K8 a 7.9 and guys around here are calling the reviewer an idiot, yet these same guys are saying 'OMG this game is at least a 9!' Hmm ... lemme see: 1.1 points is the difference between total agreement and idiocy. I digress. My point is that we seem to be limiting ourselves to a 3-point scale when we're supposed to be utilizing a 10-point scale.

4. Are we talking a grade-based score (where, e.g., 7.5 = C) or are we talking the 'hot chick' scale, where 5 = average and 6+ = pretty hot?

As above, this seems to be a source of confusion. If you score a chick a 7, she's gonna be one of the hotter girls you know. Movies, same thing: films that manage a 7/10 are really good. Games for some odd reason can't slip below 8 or else they're a 'disappointment'.

Honestly - what's up? What do you guys think of all this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Let's Talk About Review Scores

Another thing I hate, is the quarter points that Game Informer hands out. You have 20 options on a simple 10 point scale with halves, but then you add quarters and can never quantify what makes an 8.5 or an 8.75. Not to mention GI rarely gives anything less than a 7 to shamelessly shill **** games to Gamestop customers thinking, logically, that 7 = 70% = C = Average Grade = Better than Half on a Bell Curve!

Oh, sorry...I got distracted by the internet. - Scott Pilgrim
Old 10-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #3

OVR: 34

At one point, I was going to create a site called Review Refute. Now the primary plan would be to make a million dollars, but other ideas would include a tally of the most popular internet magazines and their scores and then have actual gamers review the same games and let those reviews run parallel to the magazines.

I suppose this is being done somewhere.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

I think part of the problem is that went most review sites rate a game as a 7 they label it with the word average, when on a scale of 1-10 5 should be average.

My Video Game Streams
Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

i hardly even look at reviews any more...just give me impressions of the game....tell me what new features there are, how the computer AI is, so on

Especially in sports games when I dont know if the reviewer is even a sports fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin
Another thing I hate, is the quarter points that Game Informer hands out. You have 20 options on a simple 10 point scale with halves, but then you add quarters and can never quantify what makes an 8.5 or an 8.75. Not to mention GI rarely gives anything less than a 7 to shamelessly shill **** games to Gamestop customers thinking, logically, that 7 = 70% = C = Average Grade = Better than Half on a Bell Curve!

Interesting topic. I agree wholeheartedly that review scales are confusing - in part because there are so many varying standards with reviewers. I think most people think a 7/70 grade equates to a C, because that's the most common standard. But many videogame sites change that, and make a 50 the median grade - which in a way makes sense, but goes against the more common grading scale.

Personally I feel the grade scale is easiest to use (A-F) and is a scale that's easy to relate to. When I see a grading scale that grades in 10pt increments (1-10, 1-100), I think most usually associate those numbers to alphabetic grades. For example:

81 = B-
77 = C+
96 = A+
75 = C
59 = F

9 = A (excellent)
8 = B (good)
7 = C (average)
6 = D (poor)
5 = F (failing)

I know bigger videogame review sites like IGN can protect themselves by saying "we gave your game a 7. On our scale that's good". But I think that score insinuates "average". OS recently gave NBA2K8 an 8, while giving Live a 7. While most could easily make the case that the disparity between the two titles is significant, I would think to the average Joe the scores insinuate that the titles aren't all that different. Yet if you read the content of the reviews, the games are very different. It's just that the score doesn't reflect that. It can be confusing.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 10-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
At one point, I was going to create a site called Review Refute. Now the primary plan would be to make a million dollars, but other ideas would include a tally of the most popular internet magazines and their scores and then have actual gamers review the same games and let those reviews run parallel to the magazines.

I suppose this is being done somewhere.
http://www.metacritic.com/
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
www.youtube.com/user/christoffascott
Old 10-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

You know, I've been thinking this way too with 5 and lower never being used even though it should at least represent the average portion of the scale. One thing that I wonder is if sites and companies really used the whole scale, how many of the 10s would we really see as opposed to what they're throwing out now?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »