Home

Gamestop no longer offering replacement plans on 360?

This is a discussion on Gamestop no longer offering replacement plans on 360? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #25
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: Gamestop no longer offering replacement plans on 360?

If Best Buy, nationally, starts taking trade-ins...I could see Gamestop going bye-bye. Really, there is absolutely nothing, other than trade-ins, that makes GS better than Best Buy....and Best Buy doesn't even focus solely on games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #26
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw
If you already have a Gamestop Replacement plan from earlier in the year, they will still honor it correct until it expires?

Yes, Best Buy has been test piloting the videogame trade-in's @ their big pilot stores for about 2 years now. The 1 Best Buy where I used to work near started it first in the southern suburbs of IL and then the Best Buy which is by my house started it also a few months after the other Best Buy did. They used to give a lot on trade-ins, but I heard even their prices for trade-in's are market value now (ie. Gamestop, Gamecrazy). When they first started this thing, they used to give $40+ on 360 games while Gamestop only gives $20-$25, but they quickly changed that.
Yeah, they'll still honor your current replacement plan. I have one, and it's got til December 13th. You best believe I'll be trading in my current premium for a new one with HDMI in the next month or so.

As for trade ins, GameRush gives the most I've ever seen. You might have one inside your local BlockBuster. Only bad thing, most of the time they don't get games til Friday.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #27
Rookie

Fluffhead's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm likely wrong, but I thought MS had three year warranties on the 360 now. Or is the replacement plan different in that you get a replacement immediately rather than waiting for MS to send you a repaired one? I'm just trying to get the facts before I purchase one.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffhead
I'm likely wrong, but I thought MS had three year warranties on the 360 now. Or is the replacement plan different in that you get a replacement immediately rather than waiting for MS to send you a repaired one? I'm just trying to get the facts before I purchase one.
In-store replacement plans allow you to take your defective console to the store and get a new one immediately whereas with the MS warranty you have to call them, wait for a box, send your system in and then wait for them to send you a repaired console.

The MS warranty is 3 years for the "Red Ring of Death" but only 1 year for everything else, such as DVD drive failure which, although not nearly as common as the RROD is still fairly common. Out of warranty repairs are around $130 if I recall correctly.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
In-store replacement plans allow you to take your defective console to the store and get a new one immediately whereas with the MS warranty you have to call them, wait for a box, send your system in and then wait for them to send you a repaired console.

The MS warranty is 3 years for the "Red Ring of Death" but only 1 year for everything else, such as DVD drive failure which, although not nearly as common as the RROD is still fairly common. Out of warranty repairs are around $130 if I recall correctly.
Yeah but the RROD can be created if the need is there.

Do you get a new, full 1 year warranty every time they replace a defective unit?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Do you get a new, full 1 year warranty every time they replace a defective unit?
No. If your original 1 year warranty is over, you only get 3 months on the replacement. You can however purchase a new extended warranty from them during that period.

What I hate is that this whole fiasco has now made it so that purchasing an extended warranty on these systems is no longer "playing it safe" but almost a necesssity.

Last edited by mercalnd; 10-30-2007 at 02:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »