Home

Best Buy PRP for RROD?

This is a discussion on Best Buy PRP for RROD? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Best Buy PRP for RROD?

Does anyone know how the Best Buy Extended Warranty Product Replacement Plan applies to the 360 RROD? The idea of the Product Replacement Plan is you don't have to get the system repaired. You just bring it in and they give you a gift card so you can replace it yourself.

I see 2 potential qualms:

1) Companies which issue extended warranties and product replacement generally make things a lot harder for you than they promise.

2) I am assuming in this case they would want the entire package returned. That means your hard drive too, which is full of data. I guess you could attempt to back that up too, but it would be a pain in the arse.

That being said, it seems to me like this is one potential safety net from the RROD. When the problem crops up, you simply box it up and bring it back to the store, and you can have a new model (not a refurbished one) in your hands within hours, not weeks.

I did some reading through the Circuit City extended warranty, and if I read it correctly, it was complete crap. I believe returns were only replaced within 30 days. Thereafter they were sent away for repairs. So that is no advantage whatsoever beyond shipping back and forth to Microsoft.

Has anyone taken a third party warranty route with their 360? Any experiences?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #2

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Best Buy PRP for RROD?

I did it with my PS3 and I worked for Best Buy, so I think I know a little about how it works. Get it if you are at all worried, first off, they will just swap it out straight across without testing it anyways, thats the way the PRP works. If you want you can even push for a gift card, if they give you any problems then reference their own website where it states that you can get a gift card to buy whatever you want. Secondly, just make sure you buy a model that isnt going to be going anywhere soon that way you can swap out the hard drive as long as they are the same size hard drive, in other words, avoid buying the Halo edition because if you ever have problems and the Halo edition isnt around anymore then they wont swap the hard drive, get the Elite.

EDIT- I want to add, the PRP is great and works exactly as it is described. Avoid the PSP at all costs, thats when they send it out for repair and for most items it is a minimum of 3 trips to the repair center before they will even attempt to swap it for you, it can be a real pain but the PRP is the way to go.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Awesome 219! Just what I wanted to hear.

Now I just need to decide if I want a PS3, or a 360...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

I've done it with best buy, and there's nothing to worry about. you won't be the first person they've done this for, and you won't be the last. Every clerk in the store will see you doing your dead man walking entrance, and the customer service desk will be ready for you.

It took me like 5 minutes to swap mine out, mostly due to them not having any 360's on the shelves, so they had to bring one from the back. They even let me keep the HDD. They don't eat the cost, and you'll most likely buy a new plan for the new 360. So of course they'll gladly work with you for your convenience and their pockets.

This is an amazing plan, and there's nothing to worry about.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp68
Does anyone know how the Best Buy Extended Warranty Product Replacement Plan applies to the 360 RROD? The idea of the Product Replacement Plan is you don't have to get the system repaired. You just bring it in and they give you a gift card so you can replace it yourself.

1) Companies which issue extended warranties and product replacement generally make things a lot harder for you than they promise.

2) I am assuming in this case they would want the entire package returned. That means your hard drive too, which is full of data. I guess you could attempt to back that up too, but it would be a pain in the arse.

That being said, it seems to me like this is one potential safety net from the RROD. When the problem crops up, you simply box it up and bring it back to the store, and you can have a new model (not a refurbished one) in your hands within hours, not weeks.

I did some reading through the Circuit City extended warranty, and if I read it correctly, it was complete crap. I believe returns were only replaced within 30 days. Thereafter they were sent away for repairs. So that is no advantage whatsoever beyond shipping back and forth to Microsoft.

Do a quick search on these forums and you will see that there are many ( including myself) who have gone in to BB with the extended warranty and got a replacement, no questions asked, along with being able to swap the hard drive.

So you have little to worry about ( unless of course the policy has changed, which from what i know has not).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
All Star

OVR: 35

When I bought my 360 this summer, I got the PRP as insurance for the RROD. When my plan is almost up in two years, I'll probably return my 360 and get a new one.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp68

Best Buy is preety good with there warranty, Heck there even good when it comes to there 30 day return policy, if you have there warranty and your system is not working, they will take it back almost always, I did it myself and I saw it first hand.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 11-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

I had the extended warranty so when I went to pick up my new one after the first broke I figured it was good... until they asked if I wanted a new one because the original warranty is voided when you first return it. In my ignorance I said no thanks, and of course I got the RROD two months later...

So now I'm just waiting for mine to come back from Microsoft.

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »