Home

Pondering a PS3 Purchase

This is a discussion on Pondering a PS3 Purchase within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Pondering a PS3 Purchase

Now that my 3rd 360 has bit the dust in a matter of one week, I'm sending it in for repair and will then sell it. Use the money I get for it(hopefully $250-300) and put it towards a PS3.

Now my question is, is there any big problems with it like the 360(rings of death, unreadable disks, ppl constantly sending it in for repairs and the refurbs not working)? I only play sports games. I only buy 3 games every year. Madden, NBA 2K, and either The Show or MLB 2K.

Thnx for any help

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Pondering a PS3 Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllstr876
Now that my 3rd 360 has bit the dust in a matter of one week, I'm sending it in for repair and will then sell it. Use the money I get for it(hopefully $250-300) and put it towards a PS3.

Now my question is, is there any big problems with it like the 360(rings of death, unreadable disks, ppl constantly sending it in for repairs and the refurbs not working)? I only play sports games. I only buy 3 games every year. Madden, NBA 2K, and either The Show or MLB 2K.

Thnx for any help
I would say that the main issue is a lack of games, however that won't be an issue for you as those will all come out on the PS3 at the same time they are available for the 360. One benefit for you is the ease of roster sharing that the PS3 offers over the Xbox 360, which was very nice given the tremendous work on minor league rosters for MLB The Show.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

The lack of games arguement is getting old. PS3 has lots of games now that are worth playing. People act like cross platform games are 360 exclusives or sometime. Really its annoying.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

There are MANY threads already about this.
Use the search function to see all the imput already posted.
Anyways, I'm biased and still have a no problem , release day 360. I also have the Wii and the PS3. There's no way I take a PS3 (at this time) over the 360. But again I might feel different if I had multiple issues of bad "luck".

To answer your questions:
The PS3 is a solidly built system. You can't go wrong there as far as dependability.
If you only go the sports route then you really won't miss the 360 at all.

I bought the PS3 for The Show and it's a no brainer to get the game if you get a PS3. I'm also waiting for Little Big Planet and Haze also.

The only other issue is the PSN. I just wish theyed beef it up and have it more lag free.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 12-05-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I haven't had any defects with my PS3. One of my main reasons for getting a PS3 was because of all the failures of the 360s, I just couldn't spend money on a system that I had to pray would turn on each time. The other reasons are because the PS3 exclusives are more important to me than the 360 exclusives.

The only problem with the PS3 to me is how it seems to get the shaft from some games. Examples of this is like the 30fps for some sports games just on the PS3, the GH3 guitar not working on the PS3 on Rock Band (patch supposedly is coming soon for this), and just other little annoyances like that. Like EA's webpage is awful for PS3 support for user uploaded vids on NCAA and skate. They eventually got worked out, but it was annoying when the games first come out and all the features don't work on the PS3 when they are on the 360.

I don't really play online that much, that's another reason I went with the PS3. Since online is still free with Sony, I could play online when I feel like it and not worry about getting my money's worth out of a subscription. I only have 3 games that go online, NCAA, Skate, and GH3. Only GH3 had issues at first connecting, but that seems to be worked out now as well.

So I guess the only problem with the PS3 to me is how it seems to be treated as not quite as high of a priority as the 360 to some game developers. I can understand that since the 360 has been out much longer and has more owners, hopefully over the next year or so the PS3 will not be seen that way though.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_James
The lack of games arguement is getting old. PS3 has lots of games now that are worth playing. People act like cross platform games are 360 exclusives or sometime. Really its annoying.
With the achievements plus this past years 30fps vs 60 fps issue, it is valid. The cross platforms didn't mean "the same game".
Comparing to the games out for the 360 vs the PS3 = more 360 games. Same way it was for a along time with XBOX - PS2. Only reversed.
I think in the long run it will be a mute point but not right now.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 12-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

PS3 is a well built system and the hardware issues aren't anywhere near what people had with the 360. The 360's now are being built much better, so their less prone to RROD, etc. You can't go wrong with the Ps3 though.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

The PS3 is reliable and with the Show being such a great baseball game you should enjoy your decision. The 30 fps argument is valid but only for this year and only really for football I think. I don't think there are big differences between the hockey and basketball titles but I could be wrong. Either way, with one more year of programming, next year's titles will probably be virtually identical.

My brother had to have his 360 sent in two months ago and a coworker just got his back to only have it break two weeks later. He's thinking of trading it towards a PS3 as he's pretty ticked that he and his kid could be without a 360 over the holidays. I can't believe the failure rate on the 360s. That and the Show were two huge reasons for me to buy a PS3 over a 360.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »