Home

Rumor: SEGA Dreamcast 2 in the works?

This is a discussion on Rumor: SEGA Dreamcast 2 in the works? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #25
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Rumor: SEGA Dreamcast 2 in the works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymanGT
Yes there is my friend.

They have hurt many of their first party titles with the multi-console crap that has released. I think they could pull it off with the right titles getting them back into gear and their original purpose. I think this would be great.

Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Blue Stinger 2 anyone, Nights, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon to name a few.

How about if they bought back the 2KSports division on top of that, they would be game. All of us suckers would get a Dreamcast 2 or whatever it is called to play some of the 2K sports titles. Again, we know how much better these games could be when focused and developed on 1 system.

I would support them too.
I'm sure we would all like too see this happen.

The thing is, they already had the ability to make the dreamcast on a chip for a small cheap console or maybe even portable, yet didn't use it. People think that Sega is some sleeping giant waiting to get back into the console business. They're now owned by a company that focuses on cheap quickly developed games, and whoring the franchise licenses out. Sega isn't Sega anymore, and never will be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #26
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
SEGA's last few consoles sucked, and now their games suck. They need to give it up.
The Sega Dreamcast sucked? Did you own one?

The Dreamcast was so far ahead of its time that it wasn't funny. Online gaming, 128-bit graphics, four controller ports, triggered controllers, compact size, very reliable, tons of peripherals, VMU's, amazing first-party games.

Compare that to the major competition in 1999, the PlayStation. It had no online gaming, 32-bit graphics, two controller ports, no controller triggers, not as many cool peripherals, no VMU. The PlayStation was excellent because it returned gaming to the masses after the post-NES meltdown of the early 90s, a spot where gaming has stayed since.

But when you factor everything, the Dreamcast was one of the top consoles in gaming history, right up there with the original PlayStation, the Atari 2600 and the NES. It was the greatest console I ever owned, and I was in console gaming from the Atari 2600 through the Xbox, dropping out only last year to focus on PC gaming.

If you say the Dreamcast sucked, either you didn't own one or you were on one hell of a drug-induced bender from 1999-2001.

Take care,
PK

Last edited by pk500; 12-07-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #27
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500

The Dreamcast was so far ahead of its time that it wasn't funny. Online gaming, 128-bit graphics, four controller ports, triggered controllers, compact size, very reliable, tons of peripherals, VMU's, amazing first-party games.

Compare that to the major competition in 1999, the PlayStation. It had no online gaming, 32-bit graphics, two controller ports, no controller triggers, not as many cool peripherals, no VMU. The PlayStation was excellent because it returned gaming to the masses after the post-NES meltdown of the early 90s, a spot where gaming has stayed since.

But when you factor everything, the Dreamcast was one of the top consoles in gaming history, right up there with the original PlayStation, the Atari 2600 and the NES. It was the greatest console I ever owned, and I was in console gaming from the Atari 2600 through the Xbox, dropping out only last year to focus on PC gaming.

If you say the Dreamcast sucked, either you didn't own one or you were on one hell of a drug-induced bender from 1999-2001.

Take care,
PK
Dreamcast was awesome, first party games were awesome, 3rd party games were nowhere to be found (hence why the system died). Purely as a system it was stellar, but for whatever reason barely anyone outside of Sega developed for it.

Also, it's great to see people who loved the DC and would welcome it back...I just think that 95%+ of the general public would go Dreamwhat? It's just not in the cards anymore, given the amount of money necessary to sink into a new console.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #28
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

It's not that the Dreamcast sucked, it's that it just didn't do well.

It would be a disaster for SEGA to get back into the console war.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 12-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #29
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500

Take care,
PK

Co-Sign. I simply loved the system. When I got tit home along with 2K FB I was in heaven.
I didn't have many games but the ones I did have had 1 thing in common. They were FUN. Sonic, NFL2K, Crazy taxi and even trying to teach bad words to Seaman.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #30
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I loved Seaman!!! LOL that "game" was cool.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 12-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #31
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
The dreamcast did not suck. IT was the best of the genre. It just didnt have major support, but it kicked ***.
agree, the dreamcast was a great system...
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #32
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymanGT
Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Blue Stinger 2 anyone, Nights, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon to name a few.
don't forget NiGHTS and Die Hard Arcade.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »