Home

Nintendo Theory

This is a discussion on Nintendo Theory within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21
Nintendo Theory

Does anyone else think this as far as Nintendo's reasoning behind the Wii:

Since HDTV is just starting to catch on, they decided not to jump on it *yet* this generation, and instead use parts that could be made/sold cheaper and use as the "gimmick" to lure people in with the motion controls. They'll let Microsoft and Sony have their high-end machines and charge double for it.

Then, when the Wii2 comes around (the Wii-Wii??), they will finally be in 1080i/p with digital sound....however, they will still have the motion controls (use the Wii1's controllers since they connect with Bluetooth?), but be fully hi-def....at a more reasonable price.

The only reason I think this is that Microsoft and Sony will still be bleeding edge, and will probably always be a generation graphically ahead of the Big N. However, because of this one generation where it looks like Nintendo held back, they will always be able to offer a cheaper alternative in the current generation race.

I have a 360 and the Wii, and I enjoy them both for what they both offer. However, I really can see myself getting the Wii-Wii next time around IF they go hi-def then. They're getting the install base now, and then in 4 years, out comes the Wii-Wii (that's what she said) at $200-$250 and the machines will still be printing money.

I know I'm probably crazy with this thought, but I feel there's some validity behind it. Any thoughts?

**let's try to keep this civilized as to the future direction of the Wii and Nintendo and not get into the "It's just 2 LameCubes duct-taped together" and "XBox Live RULEZ and Friends Codes sux" type comments. That's not what I'm looking for here.. Thanks

Go Badgers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Nintendo Theory

Not going high def was probably a good move for Nintendo. It keeps costs down and stardard definition won't highlight the sub-par Nintendo graphics. You can only go high def if your console graphics can utilize it.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Nintendo just went for the broad market. PS3 and 360 are slugging it out on the high end, but people like my mom know about and are interested in the Wii. She'd never consider getting a PS3 or a 360. I think Nintendo always wants to actually make a bit of profit on their hardware, and wanted to appeal to the broad market. Gimmick or not, the Wii controller has people abuzz.

The key is making the lower hardware work. Super Mario Galaxy is awesome! The downside is that the Wii isn't a "single system" for a hardcore gamer. I can't imagine the Wii being my only system. This fall the 360 got so many awesome games and there was a bit of a lull for the Wii. For the casual gamer that's fine. For me, the Wii is awesome as a 2nd console.

Last edited by mgoblue; 12-09-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

I don't think nintendo has a grand scheme to carry momentum over to the next generation. Look at the playstation. The ps2 had over 100 million sold, and they are struggling with the ps3. The people didn't run out and buy one.

Nintendo is doing what works for a very casual market that doesn't buy but a handful of games. A hell of a lot more people enjoy playing solitaire, free cell, or yahoo games for free than those who spend hundreds of dollars on a console and numerous games a year. Nintendo knows that, so this suit them, as the n64 and gamecube both had slow streams of games. It's not bad, just different from what the usual "OMG videogames are ours" crowd sees.

Last edited by bkfount; 12-09-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Collab: xcellnoah@gmail

X*Cell's Arena

OVR: 28

I think it's pretty clear that Nintendo wants nothing to do with the direction Sony and Microsoft have been taking. They have set themselves apart with a whole new innovative way to play that has caught attention in many households, and has sold a rediculous amount of consoles even with the poop-graphics.

That being said, I think Nintendo upgrades to HD, but thats because everything out there that is technology is going to have to do that. All technology that doesn't utilize HD will need to step up as well because soon if you have no HD capabilities, your tech is obsolete. Still, with the type of games Nintendo makes for their system, who cares?

75% of the games or so (I wanna say MORE honestly) are made for kids who don't differentiate between bad graphics and good graphics. I think the step Nintendo is going to make going into their next system is Easier-use of their system, and even better controls... and maybe some crazy controller add-ons...

nothing graphically is going to shock us with the Wii2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
The downside is that the Wii isn't a "single system" for a hardcore gamer. I can't imagine the Wii being my only system. This fall the 360 got so many awesome games and there was a bit of a lull for the Wii. For the casual gamer that's fine. For me, the Wii is awesome as a 2nd console.
No downside there, because the hardcore gamer buys more than one system. It's either 360 and Wii, PS3 and Wii, or maybe all 3. So Wii has the hardcore and casual markets.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Collab: xcellnoah@gmail

X*Cell's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95
No downside there, because the hardcore gamer buys more than one system. It's either 360 and Wii, PS3 and Wii, or maybe all 3. So Wii has the hardcore and casual markets.
i know my friend just got a 360 and his next purchase is the Wii. Can't lie. It's a great complementary system.

Ps3... Booooo!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

I think that Nintendo also saw that there really was too many in the graphical high end of the room with the PC, 360, & PS3. Honestly, I like that they have the simple "fun" type of aura surrounding itself. I hate that they don't have enough games though. I think that will eventually kill off Nintendo's fanbase. Regardless if they have a million people buying their systems, eventually it will dry up because the games aren't there. They are getting innovative with their newer projects but they'll need to keep reeling people in with big moves. In my eyes, I just can't see Nintendo sustaining life with the Wii for a good 5 years of its cycle. Of course, I couldn't see it outselling the 360 this quick either........

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »