Home

RUMOR: Microsoft Plans Motion Sensing Controller

This is a discussion on RUMOR: Microsoft Plans Motion Sensing Controller within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #25
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: RUMOR: Microsoft Plans Motion Sensing Controller

As long as you can decide to use motion sensor or regular controls in games in the future I will be fine, just hope they dont release somethinglike ME 2 and say Motion sensing controler is required. The forums would explode in anger and start the gaming wars.

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 26

Ratchet and Clank TOD awesome motion control puzzle games and flying

High Velocity bowling great for motion control

WarHawk great for flying motion control

Uncharted is cool for getting the trajectory for grenades and balancing on logs

Sixaxis FT's in 2k8 is very good once you get the hang of it.

Those are some games I've played that does motion and add to the game. I think its good when it adds to the experience and its available as an option.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #27
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Uncharted is cool for getting the trajectory for grenades and balancing on logs
I dunno, i felt it more got in the way in Uncharted. Like they went "Oh, we need some Sixaxis controls" and threw these in there. I'd just run over a log and get across pretty fast, didn't have to deal with the Sixaxis much. PS3 use just feels more tacked on, maybe that's just because I've got a Wii and know how well motion can be used if done right.

I just didn't feel any more immersed or enjoyment because I had to fight with the Sixaxis to throw grenades. Honestly I'd rather just have the stick control the distance, that way it'd be more useful and faster to throw accurate grenades...I felt the tilt controls weren't tight enough and made using grenades a detriment (at least in throwing accurately when you're getting shot at a billion times). I ended up not using the grenades much because by the time I'd get the aim exactly right (necessary cause the blast radius wasn't that great) I'd get shot up a lot. Either throw inaccurate or get shot, I dunno.

I haven't played any other games with Sixaxis control yet, I'm just noticing my experience. I don't think developers are really grasping it (Like Lair or other games I've heard)....it's more just a gimmick add-on that usually you can ignore. The Show has some Sixaxis sliding or something (I think) but it's all just ignorable (you can slide other ways). Honestly I bet if you asked developers they wouldn't give a crap about Sixaxis, I think Sony threw that in because they couldn't do rumble originally.

I like the motion aspect, I just wish I was implemented in a more useful manner. Don't make something way more difficult and dumb just because you feel you need to use Sixaxis...use Sixaxis in a way that improves a game.

I don't know what I'd suggest to make it better though...it's weird, the Wii is based on these controls, but 99% of the PS3 stuff will utilize old style controls...not sure how you make Sixaxis useful when you still have every old style.

Last edited by mgoblue; 12-29-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 26

And oh and absolute blast motion control in motor storm first person view.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:42 AM   #29
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Wii zapper-like FPS peripheral for the myriad of 360 shooters, and 360 wins the war. Do it!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 21

Back in 2007, we had to publish a news article during the Christmas holidays to let you know that the sketches of a supposed motion sensing controller for the Xbox 360 were false. We told you at that time that we’ll reveal further info on Microsoft’s plans for a next-generation controller, but since our insiders would be in jeopardy, we decided to wait until more info was public.

We are finally able to talk more about what we know after a patent application for a gyroscopic-based input device by Microsoft has been published on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Described as a “computer pointing device (generally a mouse but alternatively a game controller or remote control device) that may be worn on the hand and operated without needing to contact a (mousing) surface,” this patent was filed back in 2006.

We were told that the motion sensing controller that Microsoft was researching had the functionality of both the Nintendo Wii Remote and the Nunchuk packed into a single device, with a shape that is neither that of a banana, nor a remote controller, but more like a “pistol grip.” On top, it is supposed to have an analog stick (that could be replaced by a trackball) surrounded by the four action buttons.

We know that Microsoft has been doing R&D on this device (as well as next-generation vision-based recognition) for the past two years and that’s why (and not because we are teamplaystation) we reported this patent application by Sony:

As you can see, we were very surprised when we saw Sony’s patent as it looked similar to the Microsoft controller revealed to us. We couldn’t tell you about the Microsoft controller at that time, but we could certainly report Sony’s invention.

It remains to be seen if this motion sensing controller from Microsoft would actually jump from a research/design state into a final, commercial product. As far as we know, it has the same chances to be in the next Xbox as video-based depth sensing technology.

Unfortunately, we can’t report everything we know about this controller without putting our sources’ jobs at risk.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/16252/...me-Controller/
Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Cool beanies for you.

Some of us still like to sit down, relax and just chill out with our video gaming.

Like I need to worry about the trajectory of my passes in a football game because I'm still woozy from waking up in the middle of the night and decided to take in a game.
Agreed. I like pressing my buttons!!! I don't want to have to jump around to play my videogames and actually be good at the sport. Overall, I don't like motion control.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »