Home

December 2007 NPD Sales Data

This is a discussion on December 2007 NPD Sales Data within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #25
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: December 2007 NPD Sales Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
The only thing that will make the Wii irrelevant is the Wii 2. Both the PS3 AND 360 dropped their prices during the year. Did it have ANY affect on the sales of the Wii? No, it did not. That's proof enough that the Wii will stick.

The second part of your argument makes little sense. By that logic, the DS should have the #1 game, followed by the Wii at #2, 360 at #3 and so on. Maybe the console with sales has a higher selling game because it's the only thing worth buying for it.

There are hundreds of games availavble for the next gen systems. The Wii has 3 of the top 10 spots. I haven't seen the rankings of positions 11-100, but I bet you'd find a lot of Wii games in the list. The first half of 2007 did not see a lot of games for the Wii, but I'd like to see the tie-in ratio since fall. It will climb as more games are released. The reason teh 360 has a high tie-in ratio is that it's been out for a year longer.
actually, no. The reason the attach rate for the 360 is better is because the gamers are different than the ones buying the wii. I owned 30 games for the 360. The wii will never get close to that, which is fine for nintendo. They released a cheap console, using old technology, and are making tons of money. Good for them. The console will just be a fad for most people, who will buy a game or two. Again, nothing wrong with that, just wrong to compare it to ps3 and 360 sales performance.

As for price drops, the 360 and ps3 are still primarily in the +$300 range. It's price that sells the wii to the majority of people buying it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
actually, no. The reason the attach rate for the 360 is better is because the gamers are different than the ones buying the wii. I owned 30 games for the 360. The wii will never get close to that, which is fine for nintendo. They released a cheap console, using old technology, and are making tons of money. Good for them. The console will just be a fad for most people, who will buy a game or two. Again, nothing wrong with that, just wrong to compare it to ps3 and 360 sales performance.

As for price drops, the 360 and ps3 are still primarily in the +$300 range. It's price that sells the wii to the majority of people buying it.
I agree that the typical 360 owner is different from your typical Wii owner. 360 owners may still end up buying more games in the long run, but I disagree with you when you say the Wii is a fad. Microsoft must think it's more than a fad if they are trying to copy the idea of the Wiimote controller.

I also disagree that the Wii is selling because it is $250. People have been paying $400+ for one on Ebay for more than a year. If price was the only reason for the Wiis success, so many people would not be willing to pay as much (if not more) than a 360 for one.

Neither of us can prove our opinions as facts. No one really know for sure why people are buying one console vs. the other, or what use they get after they've been bought. We can go by what we read on the 'net and what our circle of friends say. I have yet to see any wide ranging survey that would give us some definitive reasons for the sales. I can see the reasons for your points, and I hope you can see mine. It really doesn't matter in the scheme of things anyways. I'm happy with my gaming setup, and I'm sure you're happy with yours. It's just good that we have options, at least when it comes to consoles. Sports gaming options are becoming increasingly limited, and I think that worries all of us.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #27
Rookie

Gamecocks625's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
The wii is nothing more than a complementary console. It's really turning into the party console while the 360 is soon becoming the standard.
Not necessarily. It's my only console and I'm totally fine with that. Especially with Super Smash Bros.Brawl, Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, NCAA Football 08, Sega Superstars Tennis...there is tons to look forward if it is a primary console. The only area lacking is in the FPS genre. If FPS's are someone's main choice then yes, 360 all the way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »