Home

XBL racial slurs are out of control....

This is a discussion on XBL racial slurs are out of control.... within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #9
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: XBL racial slurs are out of control....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
Maybe a site where recorded slurs can be posted, and that person can get hundreds of complaints filed against them. I dunno.

I think nonchalance about it I read on various sites and blogs is almost as bad as the racism itself...
That would be cool but it could also lead to abuse if people are reporting people just to do it. They need to have some kind of moderation system though.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #10
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
I figured it might Aaron. I think this topic is as much gaming as it is race, and I had hoped some intelligent discussion could be made here, but again, you're probably right.

Sorry mods if this topic is innappopriate, but please allow this to stay open if it stays civil. If only for possible ways to combat it. Someone, somewhere has to take some kind of stand on this. I know this is just gaming, and there are much bigger issues that need fighting, but this something that needs to be addressed with more than "sux for you".
I remember a few years ago we'd often have some very good discussions on race here at OS. Maybe it's b/c you are in the wrong forum?

Anyway, I know it sucks McCoy, but all we can do is keep setting good examples when we game, and correct those who are willing to listen, when they give us that chance.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Maybe a site where recorded slurs can be posted, and that person can get hundreds of complaints filed against them. I dunno.

I think nonchalance about it I read on various sites and blogs is almost as bad as the racism itself...
Well just aask Skyboxer about the Meow kids. This other guy kept saying that my name sounded like a child molester also.

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 AM   #12
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I understand that you are frustrated and you make a great point HMCOY but race discussion isnt allowed here. This thread will be closed soon.
You know why this thread might be okay?
Because this thread isn't really about race. It's about ignorance...and stupidity.
...if they are kids like jmood says....then maybe if you just say something...maybe some of them will understand that it's just not cool to do that crap. You might be able to get a few young guys to actually wrap their head around the idea that a little bit of respect and some common decency can go a long way.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-29-2008, 01:43 AM   #13
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
I remember a few years ago we'd often have some very good discussions on race here at OS. Maybe it's b/c you are in the wrong forum?

Anyway, I know it sucks McCoy, but all we can do is keep setting good examples when we game, and correct those who are willing to listen, when they give us that chance.
Yeah. I try to be civil when I address it...to be the better person. I usually get a bunch of guys telling me to stop making a big deal about it., and told about rappers using the same words. Man I wish I could have those discussions in person.

JM...any group attack on a tag would have to be proven by a recording of some sort. I'm pretty sure you can get one of these idiots to admit to their slurs."Hey was that so-and-so who just said that?" most of these guys seem pretty proud of their ignorance...

Again, I really appreciate all responses guys...this is the best kind of therapy.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 01-29-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:45 AM   #14
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

That's one of the main reasons I don't play Halo...I see stupidity on COD4, but Halo has always seemed to get the most kiddies with nothing to do but use racial, gay, whatever slurs.

Lately I've heard more derogatory gay comments, like going way out of bounds. It's like XBL is turning to DSM

In all seriousness though, there needs to be a way to control this. I don't know what MS can really do, but it's like online forums. People say ish they wouldn't in real life because no one's gonna pop them in the mouth online.

Major Nelson has said to report them, and they do ban people, but I'm skeptical.

Sucks that this is very telling of society though. Sad sad world sometimes.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
That's one of the main reasons I don't play Halo...I see stupidity on COD4, but Halo has always seemed to get the most kiddies with nothing to do but use racial, gay, whatever slurs.

Lately I've heard more derogatory gay comments, like going way out of bounds. It's like XBL is turning to DSM

In all seriousness though, there needs to be a way to control this. I don't know what MS can really do, but it's like online forums. People say ish they wouldn't in real life because no one's gonna pop them in the mouth online.

Major Nelson has said to report them, and they do ban people, but I'm skeptical.

I agree. I myself at awe sometimes at what I hear online... the way people communicate.

Personally though I don't think much can be done about online abuse except for reporting it. I know MS has been stern about this, but a lot of the time people just listen to it, don't like but ignore it and don't report it to MS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2008, 01:54 AM   #16
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue

Thats a great point. I used a derogatory gay term once in response to a slur, and I was dead wrong. I didn't mean it personally against any other gamers listening, but it's still hurtful and I will never use it again on XBL. It all works both ways. And to your point Altimus, I also agree. We need to report these things, even if it just takes that person one step closer to being kicked.

It is a sad, sad world.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 01-29-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »