Home

US Government Investigating PS3's Blu-Ray

This is a discussion on US Government Investigating PS3's Blu-Ray within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 16
US Government Investigating PS3's Blu-Ray

Just a little news to keep an eye in, regarding the future of Blu-Ray (thus Sony's PS3).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2008/03...s_6188182.html

Quote:
In February, HD DVD creator Toshiba officially called an armistice in the high-definition video playback wars, saying it would cease production of its format standard and let it fade into obscurity alongside Sony's Betamax. While Toshiba's pullout defaulted the victory in the HD disc war to the Sony spearheaded Blu-ray Disc Association, skirmishes surrounding the format linger on.

The US International Trade Commission said this week that it will be launching a patent infringement investigation of "certain short-wavelength light emitting diodes, laser diodes, and products containing same." Parties named in the investigation include Blu-ray creator Sony, along with 30 other top electronics manufactures, including Nokia, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, Pioneer, and Hitachi.

The investigation stems from a complaint filed by Gertrude Neumark Rothschild on February 20. Rothschild claims diodes currently imported for use in "hand-held mobile devices, instrument panels, billboards, traffic lights, HD DVD players (e.g., Blu-ray Disc players), and data storage devices" infringe upon one of her patents, and thus are in violation of section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930. As such, Rothschild is requesting that the US trade body issue exclusion and cease and desist orders to all companies named in the investigation.

Sony had not responded to requests for comment on the investigation as of press time.
Personally, I think it's a little absurd. Still, this isn't just anyone filing a complaint for patent infringement. We're talking about a Rothschild, as in a member of the Rothschild dynasty. Many people are saying this is the end of Blu-Ray. That has yet to be seen, but it's definitely serious enough for the government to investigate the complaint. It's not something that's necessarily singling out Sony and the PS3. It has more to do with the technology behind the Blu-ray player itself (including those made by the other companies). If the government finds the claims are valid, it could mean any number of outcomes for the Blu-Ray. It could be just a royalty thing, which is almost a best case scenario if the claims are valid. It could also result in the end of Blu-Ray, which would be bad for everyone, especially now that it just won out the format war.

This could just blow over, which I personally am hoping for. However, it's definitely nothing to brush off as just another frivolous lawsuit. This isn't a lower class redneck suing McDonald's for hot coffee. We're talking one of the richest families in the world coming down on the US's International Trade Commission, pressuring them to discontinue allowing the Blu-Ray to enter the country.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: US Government Investigating PS3's Blu-Ray

She's not singling out Blu-Ray as you would have people to believe. It's 30 different companies... And no, she's not going to cause the end of all of those products. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 16
Re: US Government Investigating PS3's Blu-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintyfresh85
She's not singling out Blu-Ray as you would have people to believe. It's 30 different companies... And no, she's not going to cause the end of all of those products. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
What part of the following statement didn't you read?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
It's not something that's necessarily singling out Sony and the PS3.
You're right though, Blu-Ray would be the smallest casualty in all of the items that are listed. I just thought it was newsworthy. In any case, Gertrude Rothschild filed a patent in 1993, covering her method of producing blue and blue and violet LED's. Money may be the only casualty here, but it's still news whether or not it develops into anything more. I just thought it was hilarious to hear how absurd her demands are. She literally wants Blu-Ray (And other items coming from the companies listed that include her patented item) banned from entering the United States. According to several articles I've read, money was not demanded. She only demanded they cease and desist all orders with the companies shipping anything with her diodes into the country.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »