Home

Wii Thoughts After 16+ Months

This is a discussion on Wii Thoughts After 16+ Months within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21
Icon5 Wii Thoughts After 16+ Months

To those of you that have a Wii, how long have you had it, how much do you play it, was it worth it, and do you think it can keep up its run?

As for me, I got mine in January of 2007 and have enjoyed it as a second console to my XBox and then my 360. I don't know if I could have it as my ONLY console. My wife isn't the biggest gamer, but Nintendo knows her. She plays her DS frequently (actually, it was mine, but she kept playing it that she bought me my own). On the 360, she only plays Arcade titles (Luxor, Zuma, etc.), but enjoys them.

This Wii is our family machine. If I want to do traditional "serious" gaming (sports, FPS), I use the 360. But literally, for everything else, I game on the Wii. My parents and in-laws come in and they will play the Wii with us. My dad last gamed with me 20 years ago with the NES and Super Mario 1 and Tecmo Bowl...that's the last time. Now, we've played Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Guitar Hero, and Pinball. My father-in-law has bowled with us, raced in Excite Truck, and tried some Guitar Hero.

I think I've finally hit that point in my life where I don't have the constant urge to game, or if I still do, not for the extended stretches I once did. Now, I enjoy 30-60 minute stretches. I find myself playing more Pac-Man than R6:Vegas. I just enjoy the pick-up-and-play fun.

Am I alone? Am I nuts? For a base of $250 + accessories, I've been more than happy (and my wife doesn't completely want to disown me....yet). I know you still can't find them in stores, but I'm really interested to see what is possible when 3rd parties actually CARE to make something original instead of a crappy PSP or PS2 port, or integrate the DS more into it. Heck, I'll be interested to see what the Wii2 brings!

Thoughts?

(Please stay away from fanboy-esque comments like "The Wii sucks!" or "You can't be taken seriously if you play a Wii."

I'm interested to hear from those who own, or have owned, one.

Go Badgers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Wii Thoughts After 16+ Months

My simple thoughts? It's ****ing awesome.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Rookie

Gamecocks625's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm primarily a sports gamer, and the Wii is my only console. It's great, seriously. With Wii Sports, Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (sports-ish, action), We Ski, We Love Golf, NCAA Football 09, and more, it more than satisfies my sports gaming needs. Truly an incredible system and still gets played every day.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

I have to be honest, I don't think I've turned it on in months.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
MVP

forensicd's Arena

OVR: 21

I havent played it forever. I liked it for the first few weeks, then got tired of always getting up and having to move. I work 9 hours a day, have a kid and family, the last thing I want to do is work hard at my video games. Its going on ebay this week as I just got a ps3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Got it on launch, play it daily. Love it.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
I have to be honest, I don't think I've turned it on in months.
That is why I went through 2 of them and sold the system twice. LOL!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Pro

cake612's Arena

OVR: 9

I haven't turned mine on since about the first week of January to play Mario. There's just no games that interest me at all and I'd sell it if I wasn't so lazy. Had it since June '07 and after I got stuck in Zelda and beat RE:4 I just played gamecube games on it until Metroid then didn't touch the system again until Mario. Just not the system for me and it was a poor decision to buy it but I really wanted a new system but it would have taken me to long to save for 360 or PS3. Now I have a new job and a 360 and PS3 and am fully on the PS3 bandwagon and would sell my 360 if it wasn't for COD4 on Live, I can think of one person I know who has a PS3, everyone else is 360. I really don't have people over to play games, I either play single player or online with my friends which are basically the worst games to play on Wii.

It was fun for a while but the novelty wore off and I just had no desire to play it after about 2 months. I really should just sell it on craigslist, hopefully I'll get around to it fairly soon. There isn't one game coming out in the future that interests me and the only game I haven't played that I want to is Batallion Wars 2 which I loved on gamecube but I refuse to pay 50 dollars for the same game with boats. Once the price drops I'll probably grab it and then hopefully finally sell the Wii.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »