Home

Live update killed by Elite!!!

This is a discussion on Live update killed by Elite!!! within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Live update killed by Elite!!!

Maybe it was coincidence, maybe it wasn't. I recently took my Xbox Elite online for the very first time. I've had the console for about a year, but rarely use live. When I decided to download the NCAA Football demo, I was prompted with a XBOX Live update first. Thinking nothing of it, I downloaded the update. Everything was installed successfully, but when the console rebooted, it froze on the 360 logo. I turned the console off manually, waited and then turned it back on again. RED RING OF DEATH!

Several minutes of cursing and rage ensued, but I still wanted to get data off of my drive and on to my memory card. When I tuned the console back on, it worked fine. I thought maybe, just maybe the console overheated for a second, but was okay. Yeah, right. Well, since, I've had several games freeze on me, although no RROD.

Maybe this is a fools hope, but could this be a cache issue? Can I delete the XBOX Live update that appears to be the cause of all this? I've had two 360s already, and anticipating NCAA Football 2009, I really don't want to turn in my Elite and wait four to six weeks for a repair. It is still under my two year Best Buy warranty.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Live update killed by Elite!!!

Might try going through the steps outlined in this FAQ for screen freezes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907586/

In particular, this step appears pertinent to what you are talking about, but I'd follow the FAQ step-by-step:

Quote:
If the issue does not occur when the hard drive is detached, try clearing the Xbox 360 Hard Drive cache. With the Xbox 360 Hard Drive attached to the console, follow these steps:

a. Locate the System section of the Xbox 360 Dashboard.
b. Select Memory, select Hard Drive, and then press Y to view the device options screen.
c. On the Xbox 360 Controller, press the X button, press the X button again, press the left bumper, press the right bumper, press the X button, and then press the X button again.
d. You will be prompted to confirm system maintenance, select Yes by pressing A.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Pro

Just an update on my Elite.

First, I attempted to run my console without the HDD, as stated in the support article above. Well, that didn't even get my past the 360 logo before it froze. I put the HDD back in, and ran a sytsem maintenance update on my console. That went through without much hassle, but unfortunately, once I got to the memory selection screen of Assassin's Creed, the game froze. And when I say the game froze, everything froze. I had to manually shut down the console. My only hope is to delete the actual data file on my HDD from XBOX Live. I'll let you know if that works.

P.S. This is my third 360, first Elite. I take very good care of my things, but I'm afraid these consoles are just poorly made. I've heard plenty of horror stories about refurbished models making it back on store shelves, so that's why I got an Elite last summer. I'm seriously considering a PS3 right now.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
Pro

POS

My well ventilated, infrequently used Elite is officially dead. I just bought an Mac last year, and it looks like I'll be buying a PS3 now too. I'm done with Microsoft products.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Wouldn't it be "Elite killed by Live update"?

Bummer about your 360, man. I hope you have better luck with the PS3.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Pro

It's really weird. I mean, my console was working great until that update was installed. I'm crossing my fingers that PS3 is more reliable. The 360 does have way more games, but none of them make up for the games I have to play with Bestbuy when my console breaks down. I've played that game several times already.

It just amazes me how Microsoft can get away with putting out such half-*** products. Look at Vista! I'm hoping PS3 is to gaming what Firefox is to web browsing. XBOX 360 certainly runs on par with IE.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 25

PS3 has great potential should Sony ever actually use it to its full potential.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Pro

Just a follow up

I took my 360 Elite down to Bestbuy today - original packaging and all. I paid for the two year Bestbuy warranty, and at $80, it was well worth it. The Geek Squad looked over the console, deemed DOA, and replaced it on the spot. In fact, they replaced it and let me switch in my old HDD with the new unit. I have no doubt this new Elite will eventually brick as well, but it should last me a year or so. By that time, I'll have a PS3. I would laugh out loud, but it's really not that funny.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »