Home

360 Red Rings - Best Buy replacement

This is a discussion on 360 Red Rings - Best Buy replacement within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 35
360 Red Rings - Best Buy replacement

Well my 360 gave me the dreaded 3 red rings (after about 1 year). Based on what I've read on these boards about people's experiences with the red rings and MS's repair issues, I bought the Best Buy Product Replacement Plan. I've got some questions if anyone can help me.
Has anyone tried to return a red ringed 360 to Best Buy lately?
How was the exchange handled?
The price has dropped $100 since I bought mine, so will get the $100 difference if I exchange the 360 for another one?
Will they let me keep my hard drive?
Will I have to buy another PRP for the new 360?

With a 3-day weekend coming, I want to get it replaced as soon as possible. Thanks for all of your help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Something clever

thegoat30's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: 360 Red Rings - Best Buy replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Well my 360 gave me the dreaded 3 red rings (after about 1 year). Based on what I've read on these boards about people's experiences with the red rings and MS's repair issues, I bought the Best Buy Product Replacement Plan. I've got some questions if anyone can help me.
Has anyone tried to return a red ringed 360 to Best Buy lately?
How was the exchange handled?
The price has dropped $100 since I bought mine, so will get the $100 difference if I exchange the 360 for another one?
Will they let me keep my hard drive?
Will I have to buy another PRP for the new 360?

With a 3-day weekend coming, I want to get it replaced as soon as possible. Thanks for all of your help.

To answer one of your questions, no you can not keep your hard drive. Apparently you use to be able to, but Microsoft changed their policy with Best Buy within the last six months which requires them to take back the hard drive as well. I was not happy to find this out and tried everything I could to talk them into letting me swap hard drives - no luck for me.

My Elite crapped out, but not due to RROD - it was the E79 error I think.

I did not buy another PRP, but I believe they said I was covered until the original date. If you find out otherwise, that would be helpful information as I would likely buy another.

I took the entire box back to the store with all the items it came with, told them it stopped working, they told me to go grab another. Besides the not being able to keep the hard drive, it was pretty painless.

Hope some of this was helpful...
Old 08-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
All Star

Yes it was, thanks. I called my BB store and they said once they determine the system is defective, they will exchange anything that I return. I guess if I don't bring my hard drive, I'll be able to keep it. They said I'll get store credit for the difference in the price I paid compared to what the 360 costs now.

Anybody heard whether the Falcon processor 360's have fared better than the old ones in avoiding the red rings?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I took mine back a month or 2 ago. I just took in the console, nothing else. They gave me just the console back. Took 20 minutes.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I took mine back a month or 2 ago. I just took in the console, nothing else. They gave me just the console back. Took 20 minutes.
I'm going to leave my hard drive at home, but bring everything else in. Might as well get new gear while I'm exchanging it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Rookie

TD73's Arena

OVR: 4

To answer one of your questions, no you can not keep your hard drive.

What!!! What about the crap I bought with MS points that is on it?I just lose it?I could care less for the achievements and such but c'mon. Just cause there machine crapped out on me I have to pay the price and start over? That had better not be. Thats ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Something clever

thegoat30's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD73
To answer one of your questions, no you can not keep your hard drive.

What!!! What about the crap I bought with MS points that is on it?I just lose it?I could care less for the achievements and such but c'mon. Just cause there machine crapped out on me I have to pay the price and start over? That had better not be. Thats ridiculous.
You can re-download all the items you have bought with points and recover your gamertag on the new console.

It sounds like EG and boom have had better luck not having to take back in the hard drive. I had called before and that was the line that they fed me (had to take it back). Guess it may depend on the location and who you deal with...
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoat30
It sounds like EG and boom have had better luck not having to take back in the hard drive. I had called before and that was the line that they fed me (had to take it back). Guess it may depend on the location and who you deal with...
I haven't taken it back yet. Don't jinx me!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »