Home

What do you guys think?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Rookie

Napstar22's Arena

OVR: 5
What do you guys think?

Sony and Microsoft to exit console wars after PS3 and Xbox 360?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: What do you guys think?

well as laughable as it sounds, it has been discussed plenty of times on here. There's certainly what if's that could be seen as exit doors, even if it won't happen.

It's quite possible that microsoft could just outspend Sony to death, at least in the US. Sony was #1 worldwide, and didn't really need to spend billions making a bleeding edge console that launched for $600 and is harder to develop for. It stranded the ps2 owners in waiting on a desert island. Depending on how well the lower priced 360 sells this holiday in comparison to the ps3, Sony will feel the pressure to get the ps3 down to 360 price levels quickly. They have to choose profit or market share.

Microsoft could get out just as easily. Halo 3 was a monster seller, but those don't come that often. If the 360 doesn't make MS happy, no console they slap their name on will.

Last edited by bkfount; 09-29-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

It is interesting indeed. I remember reading before the PS3 came out that it was going to be Sony's last console.

As of now, both divisions are bleeding billions of dollars. I think both are in too deep just to stop that the current generation but you never know. Microsoft has a track record for killing of software so you never know.

Personally I hope both stay in the gaming business because both offer great games and hardware.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Rookie

Napstar22's Arena

OVR: 5

I think they will be around ,but they will come out with basic game consoles period with a normal price tag .
Old 09-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

I really think consoles SHOULD go back to a gaming only console. I think alot would disagree but That's me...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR3
It is interesting indeed. I remember reading before the PS3 came out that it was going to be Sony's last console.

As of now, both divisions are bleeding billions of dollars. I think both are in too deep just to stop that the current generation but you never know. Microsoft has a track record for killing of software so you never know.

Personally I hope both stay in the gaming business because both offer great games and hardware.
I would like to see Sega make a comeback big time, I loved the Deamcast, it's life was cut short to soon.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 09-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/914/914584p1.html

well it seems that some people still think Sony will be around, with a ps4 in 2011.

So actually, while Sony and MS may be around next generation, we'll have to see if they shift to more cost effective Wii-ish consoles.

Last edited by bkfount; 09-30-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

If Sony wanted to, they could go with the PS3 for another 10 years. It is unfortunate, but it seems that by the time the developers really understand how to use the PS3 and XBox 360 to their full potential, MS and Sony will come out with new consoles. Both machines have enough power to hang around for a long time but I think MS really needs to update their current hardware. The need to come out with a console that is more reliable, more flexible/user friendly (USB file transfers), and it must have built in WiFi.

I have all 3 gaming consoles but I think 2 would be more than enough in the future. One machine that would be similar to the PS3 & 360 and one simple machine like the Wii. In a perfect gaming world we would have 1 super console that could play anything and everything, but we know that will never happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »