Home

September NPD

This is a discussion on September NPD within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: September NPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Red lights will be discussed, but how many PS2's died left and right near the end from not being able to read blue back discs. No one even mentions that anymore.
I personally had to replace my PS2 due to read failures. The Wii as with the 360 had a bad vid card and had to get them both repaired.
So far the PS3 has been stable, then again I haven't pushed it as far as far as long play times yet.
I do like the fact that when/if I ever replace the HDD it looks to be pretty easy...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #18
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Not trying to start an argument here or anything...but why is it "unfortunate"? Why do you care? Are you a Sony stockholder?
You could say that I'm a "fanboy," but really it's that I like to see things that go on top, to stay on top. I'm not big on the Wii, but I like to see Nintendo laughing at Sony's and Microsoft's faces with their far cheaper hardware profiting so much more than they are. We can even make this analogous to baseball... seeing that the Red Sox are one of my favorite teams, I'm still very much rooting for the Rays to make it to the WS and win if the Sox fail to do so, only because of their accomplishments this year.

But mostly, I don't want to see Sony "fail" per se, where they either ever end up dropping out of the console business, they start charging us for things, etc. I know one month won't change that, but I don't want to see a trend here, especially after it was beating the 360 for so many consecutive months.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 10-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #19
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Red lights will be discussed, but how many PS2's died left and right near the end from not being able to read blue back discs. No one even mentions that anymore.
Many.

I think I went through 3-4. Most of those were the slim versions, they sucked big time.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Mainly,because they mostly fixed the problem. Yeah,I had to replace one,but the one that replaced it is still going strong. How many people can say that about the 360?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #21
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptialG
Mainly,because they mostly fixed the problem. Yeah,I had to replace one,but the one that replaced it is still going strong. How many people can say that about the 360?

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I know some people feel a need to defend their console, but seriously, the only non-offender of this practice is actually Nintendo. Even the DS model is relatively stable compared to the PSP.

This whole business tactic is annoying, but Sony has done far more juggling of console options than MS has. How many times have they completely dropped a model? You need a chart to even know which models have what features anymore.

http://gizmodo.com/5041839/the-plays...mparison-chart

Sony took the shenanigans to a new level with a false price drop by pairing the less featured 40 gig ps3 model with an 80 gig HDD and calling it a $100 price drop on the 80 gig model. Talk about consumer confusion. Wizard!!

I dont know who's defending their console and if you were directing this one at me then sorry, because I've owned them all and own what I do now by choice. Im sorry the numbers are probably half inflated by M$ because people are buying a new console not only for price but quality or lack thereof.

I've railed on Sony in the past rightfully so, and the same with M$ for laying a hard turd on consumers. I've been absolutely fine with all 3 of my DS's and my Wii.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
I dont know who's defending their console and if you were directing this one at me then sorry, because I've owned them all and own what I do now by choice. Im sorry the numbers are probably half inflated by M$ because people are buying a new console not only for price but quality or lack thereof.

I've railed on Sony in the past rightfully so, and the same with M$ for laying a hard turd on consumers. I've been absolutely fine with all 3 of my DS's and my Wii.
it was directed at your every 3 months comment.

I've also owned a ps3 and 360, while we have a wii in the house. We all stick with what we like. However, the fact is, both Sony and MS have shuffled things around, with Sony being the worse offender. The existence of a ps3 model chart that I posted is evidence enough.

Your later comment about 360 sales being inflated by people buying more to replace broken ones is simply reinforcing my first sentence about you defending your console. Is it really hard to accept that consoles sell well once they drop to $200? It's actually how the majority of total sales have come for nearly every game console ever put out. Something like 75% of ps2 sales came after that price. You don't reach the mass market with a $400 gaming machine, regardless of who makes it.

Last edited by bkfount; 10-17-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
it was directed at your every 3 months comment.

I've also owned a ps3 and 360, while we have a wii in the house. We all stick with what we like. However, the fact is, both Sony and MS have shuffled things around, with Sony being the worse offender. The existence of a ps3 model chart that I posted is evidence enough.

Your later comment about 360 sales being inflated by people buying more to replace broken ones is simply reinforcing my first sentence about you defending your console. Is it really hard to accept that consoles sell well once they drop to $200? It's actually how the majority of total sales have come for nearly every game console ever put out. Something like 75% of ps2 sales came after that price. You don't reach the mass market with a $400 gaming machine, regardless of who makes it.
Problem is I love how you conveniently skipped over me talking about how Sony was first to trash talk M$ about it then proceeded to do it themselves.

That said its a fail to try to connect the two statements together when they clearly werent

M$ got 2 of those sales from me for 2 different systems, for the same reason they did from alot of people including you. It broke and they bought another one. Of course they got sales from lowering the price. .. noone is disputing that, but it was a perfect jab because its true. I'd get another one because i liked it but Im not wasting money on another assembly line failure.

Sony as someone metioned did the same thing with the PS2 slims, same with the dreamcast although it was more stable than the 360.

I think they should all be dropped and it was my main criticism of Sony in the beginning. A freaking $600 console is butt raping people. I didn't buy the thing at that price, I got it for stability and the fact that M$ wasn't offering ME anything more for a system on a timer. I sold it quick and got myself a wii.

Screw system fanboy statements, as I said this entire gen has been wacky.

All of that said, M$ had a more stable system in the xbox 1 and it wasnt ripping you off with crap like overpriced HDD's. They took a step backwards in that instance, and its a shame.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »