Home

Best/Cheapest way to upgrade 360?

This is a discussion on Best/Cheapest way to upgrade 360? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 21
Best/Cheapest way to upgrade 360?

Here's my situation... I'm someone who has owned his XBOX360 since the morning that it launched... since then I've upgraded my TV and actually want to make good use of the last free HDMI port I have on my TV...

RGB and Black Levels are something that was brought in with the NXE update and I want to use it as the difference it made for my PS3 games were great (IMO) and I want that same feeling when using my XBOX 360.

I'd use my VGA cables but with that, I lose out on being able to adjust the sharpness and color levels (my TV blocks those settings when connected to the PC Port) so that's out of the question.

Buying that HDMI converter thingy (lol) is also out of the question for me as I want a pure digital signal connection.

I want to get rid of my current 360 (while keeping the hard drive somehow)... get another 360 that actually has HDMI built in with the possibility of upgrading to a 60GB or 120GB HDD (ebay prices seem nice.. hopefully they don't rise after the popularity of installing games to the hard drive via NXE)

What would be the best course of action that I could take aka "What would you do?"?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
Re: Best/Cheapest way to upgrade 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaGenecyst
Here's my situation... I'm someone who has owned his XBOX360 since the morning that it launched... since then I've upgraded my TV and actually want to make good use of the last free HDMI port I have on my TV...

RGB and Black Levels are something that was brought in with the NXE update and I want to use it as the difference it made for my PS3 games were great (IMO) and I want that same feeling when using my XBOX 360.

I'd use my VGA cables but with that, I lose out on being able to adjust the sharpness and color levels (my TV blocks those settings when connected to the PC Port) so that's out of the question.

Buying that HDMI converter thingy (lol) is also out of the question for me as I want a pure digital signal connection.

I want to get rid of my current 360 (while keeping the hard drive somehow)... get another 360 that actually has HDMI built in with the possibility of upgrading to a 60GB or 120GB HDD (ebay prices seem nice.. hopefully they don't rise after the popularity of installing games to the hard drive via NXE)

What would be the best course of action that I could take aka "What would you do?"?
Buy an Arcade/Core whatever it's called now. Then buy the 120 gig drive used with the transfer cable. It will then transfer everything to the 120 gig drive, and will be like it's the same drive you always had (if that makes sense).

Bingo.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

EG's suggestion sounds good. Or get another 360 (if it's possible) & put your old-1 up for sale or to the side just in case
Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12

I bought an Arcade for $200, and then got the HDMI cables online for literally $4, and then got the 120GB HDD off ebay for $80. Saved lots of money going that route. Plus the new arcades have the wireless controllers now....so with all that you get an elite for about $300 rather than $400.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

I had a "rental" Arcade system that had an HDMI port while mine was in the shop... but I'm kind of in the same boat that I'd prefer to have an HDMI port and a larger HD.

Am I missing something, or are you not able to use the optical audio connection when you are using HDMI? Both plugs wouldn't fit at the same time and there was no other way to use the optical connection as far as I could tell. I don't have an HDMI-enabled surround receiver, so I need the optical to work... That just confused me.. maybe the ARcade came with the wrong MS cables or something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
I had a "rental" Arcade system that had an HDMI port while mine was in the shop... but I'm kind of in the same boat that I'd prefer to have an HDMI port and a larger HD.

Am I missing something, or are you not able to use the optical audio connection when you are using HDMI? Both plugs wouldn't fit at the same time and there was no other way to use the optical connection as far as I could tell. I don't have an HDMI-enabled surround receiver, so I need the optical to work... That just confused me.. maybe the ARcade came with the wrong MS cables or something.
for $40, MS sells their own branded HDMI cables with an optical dongle attached...

for everyone else... Thanks... i asked gamestop what their trade in value for a 360 was and they said $80 bucks lmao i couldn't do nothin but laugh
Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Ahh, okay.. I knew they'd figure out a way to wrangle another $40 out of me for that ability... probably should just get a receiver with 2 or 3 HDMI inputs anyway... Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Yea Microsoft is trying to shaft people with that cable.

I had the same problem when I got my HDMI-enabled 360, couldn't fit both cables in at the same time (needed both for optical out). I ended up taking off the plastic around the a/v cable with a screwdriver, both fit now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »