Home

Why the Wii dominates

This is a discussion on Why the Wii dominates within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #49
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Why the Wii dominates

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Personally, I think the Wii will have it's success this time around but Nintendo will fail miserably during the next console cycle. They've set a precedent for themselves and next time around it's going to have to be some other gimmick, but the audience they've gained through the Wii (at least, the ones who actually become dedicated gamers) will have outgrown it and moved on to more involved involved and mature games developed on other systems. I believe the vast majority of "gamers" the Wii is "creating" are'nt the kind who will buy a new console each cycle. It's a "1 and done" thing IMHO. All the old folks at the retirement home and the soccor moms aren't going to keep buying more consoles.

As for the games, seriously, what is there that isn't a 20+ year old franchise being rehashed for the umpteenth time? To me, Mario and Zelda games were fun in the 80's when I was a kid but they hold no appeal for me 20+ years later when i'm enjoying games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, or Dead Space. I can't possibly go back to simple platformers like that with absurdly childish storylines. At least that new Mirror's Edge game is a revolutionary and modern take on the platformer......and it's not even a Nintendo game. nintendo has dug its own grave with 3rd party support in the way they've treated 3rd party developers over the years. They make it difficult to even get kit to work with. And to now expect these 3rd party developers to hold their best and brightest ideas for the Wii over richer canvases like the 360 or PS3 is ludicrous. It's like asking a light artist to create his his work on a Lite Brite instead of using fiber-optics.

The people the Wii has attracted that will actually remain gamers will, in all likelihood, evolve and move on to something deeper. The ones who just got caught up in the gimmick and hysteria will fade away (as will their dollars). Nintendo is actually doing Microsoft and Sony a huge favor in the longterm because all those new gamers will be giving their money to these two companies in the not too distant future instead of Nintendo.

I hope Nintendo is dedicated for supporting the Wii for a LONG time, because I don't see hardware sales ever happening like this for them again, unless they go for a full technology system like their competitors.
They've also backed themselves into a wall with the DS. I can't see what else they can do now that they introduced the touch screen and how they will be able to convince people to buy their next portable.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 AM   #50
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Personally, I think the Wii will have it's success this time around but Nintendo will fail miserably during the next console cycle...
I agree. Its going to be interesting to see what Ninty cooks up to entice the next gen of console users. Especially since you can bet your arse that MS and Sony will have sensor controls and a library of games using it.

The major appeal of the Wii is obviously ease of use, offering an experience that don't intimidate those who don't play games regularly, and haven't developed the requisite skillset to comfortably pick up and play most current AAA titles. The average Wii grandma or 30 something non-gamer isn't prepared to "jump in" a current complex RTS, RPG, or sports title..or posses the twitch skills to enjoy todays shooters. Nintendo did a great job of bringing that crowd into gaming with simplicity, kudos to them. But since Wii gamers aren't concerned with cutting edge tech, mature storytelling, or frequent quality releases - Obviously, one good game every 6 months or so is more than enough for that crowd - what will Nintendo do to compel this installed base to upgrade?

Last edited by HMcCoy; 12-12-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #51
D*d y** g*t th* m*m*?

caseyd's Arena

OVR: 16

I saw something again yesterday that just floors me. Ign had reviews of two new bowling games. They both stink. How in the world is it that Nintendo can come out with a fun and semi-realistic bowling game that you get free with the system, but none of these 3rd party developers can duplicate that success on any level? Same with golf. Tiger Woods is pretty good, but I'm still not sure that the motion controls are as good as Wii Sports golf. I just don't understand it unless they think they can make any crappy game and people will buy it. How are they even still in business? I can't imagine many are out there buying them if they aren't even as good as what you get free.
Animal Crossing Town: Danville
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #52
Pro

FedEx227's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mddst34
Cause it cheaper production costs right now and therefore they net on each console sale.

I had a Wii. Well my kid did. He liked it for 2 weeks. Sold it on craigslist after it collected dust for 6 months.

Its seriously a novelty console. Its like McHammer pants, Trival Pursuit, jane fonda workout videos and disco all wrapped into one.
It's an electronic board game.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #53
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyd
I saw something again yesterday that just floors me. Ign had reviews of two new bowling games. They both stink. How in the world is it that Nintendo can come out with a fun and semi-realistic bowling game that you get free with the system, but none of these 3rd party developers can duplicate that success on any level? Same with golf. Tiger Woods is pretty good, but I'm still not sure that the motion controls are as good as Wii Sports golf. I just don't understand it unless they think they can make any crappy game and people will buy it. How are they even still in business? I can't imagine many are out there buying them if they aren't even as good as what you get free.
Because people buy it. Because the Wii is so huge among the "non gamer" population, they'll buy a game without reading a review, etc. They'll pick up some 20 buck piece of trash game that you or I would never ever consider playing. Companies are feasting on the uber-casual gamer. They won't stop pushing shovelware until these games stop making a profit (they suck so bad that they've gotta be cheap to make)
Old 12-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
They've also backed themselves into a wall with the DS. I can't see what else they can do now that they introduced the touch screen and how they will be able to convince people to buy their next portable.

I really don't know. I'm not a handheld kind of guy. I was never into the idea of a stylus, personally.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyd
Were those two bowling games Wii games? But yes, the main kock on Nintendo right now is that they've allowed their game library to be home to a disproportionate amount of shovelware (bad software thrown together to cash in on the Wii's success).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #56
Pro

FedEx227's Arena

OVR: 8

Absolutely. Nintendo has taken off their whole "seal of approval" thing in favor of letting anybody make any type of game on their system. It's pretty much free reign. So metallicatz is right, it's not the game developers fault, it's Nintendo's fault. Most of those ****ty games wouldn't see the light of day on older nintendo consoles, but on the Wii it's a party! Development companies can put interns on the Wii division and throw together a game in 7 days, sell it for $29 and still make a reasonable profits on the Wii craze.

Last edited by FedEx227; 12-12-2008 at 12:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »