Home

Why the Wii dominates

This is a discussion on Why the Wii dominates within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Why the Wii dominates

I just read this on Yahoo.com main page.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/...motion/1270287

Better, brighter, faster games--and perhaps more profits--are in Nintendo's future

Hardcore gamers may still scoff at Nintendo's Wii for catering to casual gamers. But hidden behind its Clark Kent facade are some impressive financial muscles.

Nintendo rocked the gaming world when it brought out the Wii gaming console three years ago by turning an entirely new demographic of users on to gaming. Middle-aged and senior citizens stood in line to buy Wiis on the strength of games like Wii Fit, which audiences found more fun than workout DVDs.

In Pictures: 10 Cool Wii Games

To date, Nintendo has sold nearly 35 million Wiis, including 12.6 million in the U.S., Nintendo's biggest market. That's lower than Sony's PlayStation 2, which has sold 43 million units since 2000. But it's still pretty high for a console that, at launch, was technologically a generation behind its chief competitors, Sony's PlayStation 3, with 13 million units in users' living rooms, and Microsoft's Xbox 360, with 23 million units. This year, the Wii is expected to sell more than the best-selling PS2 sold in its best year, 2003.

Just as interesting as how Nintendo has changed the gaming world, however, has been its business approach. Nintendo sells games along the time-honored razor-razor blade model, namely pushing out the console and then enticing users to buy more games.

"More casual players aren't as likely to be attracted by hardware features, so it's all about delivering a fun, easy-to-use and addicting game experience," says Anita Frazier, toy and video game analyst at NPD Group.

Another factor in enticing those casual users is keeping its console cheap. "The key thing about Nintendo is they want their things to be at price points that anyone can respond to," says Hiroshi Kamide, director of research at KBC Securities Japan. Nintendo's strategy is to buy inexpensive components instead of making them in-house, allowing the Wii to sell for $260 while the PS3 costs $300.

But here's the winning point: Unlike its competitors, Nintendo has figured out how to make money from its console sales. Sony loses money on each Playstation sold. Microsoft might just break even. But every Wii brings in $6 of operating profit for Nintendo, says David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Securities.

Nintendo also sells 60% of Wii games itself, compared with 30% for Microsoft and 15% for Sony. Wii users are expected to buy the most games this year, 220 million, compared with 120 million PS3 games and 125 million for the Xbox 360.

The top three Wii games--"Wii Play," "Super Smash Brothers Brawl" and "Super Mario Galaxy"--are all Nintendo's own titles, but the top three for PS3--"Grand Theft Auto IV," "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" and "Assassin's Creed"--are all from outside developers, not from Sony.

By making most of its games itself, Nintendo risks sacrificing the chance to earn licensing fees from as many third-party developers as its competitors. It also prices games cheaper--at $50 versus $60 for the other two consoles. But so far the gambit has paid off: Wii locks in fans because many of its most popular games appear exclusively on the Wii. And Nintendo has a higher gross margin on game software than the others at 65%, compared with between 50% and 60%.

Those only-available-here games sell better than games that have been ported to other consoles because the Wii's unique features--the motion-sensor remote, for instance--make it hard to translate into other systems. PS3 and Xbox 360 games can be ported between those two systems fairly easily, but developers that want to make a game for all three consoles need a dedicated Wii team to write the Nintendo version.

Ubisoft's new "Shaun White Snowboarding" game, which shipped in late November, uses the Wii Fit motion board to simulate full-motion snowboarding; its Xbox and PS versions push online virtual snowboarding with friends.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Why the Wii dominates

The reason it dominates is because children love it, period. Same reason the DS does so well. Anything Pokemon will set sales records.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
D*d y** g*t th* m*m*?

caseyd's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
The reason it dominates is because children love it, period. Same reason the DS does so well. Anything Pokemon will set sales records.
That's true, but I think parents are going to be more willing to drop cash on something that the whole family might be able to use. Parents and grandparents also enjoy the Wii. You could never say that about the PS3 or 360. Also, the games are easy. That's a draw to kids, parents and those that don't have a lot of time or patience to learn 50 button presses for their games. I just want something that I can sit down and play for 15-30 minutes and not have to think about it too much. The Wii fits that perfectly.
Animal Crossing Town: Danville
Old 12-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
You think huh, do you know how many adults I know who own the wii, I know more adult couples who own the Wii then kids. SO thats not true, I always thought that way about the Wii too, but owning one and knowing a lot of people who own one, thats just not true at all. Bottom line the Wii is a for all age system period, and to tell you the truth I bet you more adults play the Wii then kids do.

I work as a tech in one of the biggest nursing homes and the Wii has picked up lots of interest from the Nursing Home industry and many elderly people are playing the Wii, the Wii is becoming something way bigger then Nintendo or anyone could have thought.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Dominates what? the PS3 and 360?
Nobody thinks the Wii is an alternative to the next-gen consoles. It does what it does and apparently its very good at it.
But saying it 'dominates' is kinda outta left field.
Its like saying Checker board sales dominate Chess sales.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
Dominates what? the PS3 and 360?
Nobody thinks the Wii is an alternative to the next-gen consoles. It does what it does and apparently its very good at it.
But saying it 'dominates' is kinda outta left field.
Its like saying Checker board sales dominate Chess sales.
Well, it's a gaming console. And as far as gaming console sales numbers go? Yes, the Wii dominates.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Man, I was at Gamestop the day after Thanksgiving. Sales guy was selling a Wii to an older gentleman and got him to purchase the Wii, Wii Play, and maybe something else and told him he had a total of 14 games. All I could do was shake my head.

My Video Game Streams
Old 12-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 17

That's the most un-informed and myopic article i've read in a while. It's what happens when you have an outsider writing an article on the game industry and only getting info from one source (Nintendo). The Wii dominates at selling consoles to people who will never keep up with console cycles (i.e. ever buy another one) and who maybe will buy 5 games tops for the duration of their ownership. Of course there are exceptions to that rule. Hardcore gamers are the ones who spend money on a consistent basis in the industry, and Nintendo has all but lost that crowd.

What that article doesn't tell you is that the quality of Wii games, while fun and simple for casual gamers, is crap. I saw a stat recently in GI that nearly 70% of all Wii titles have gotten unfavorable reviews. It's a shovelware system at this point. And there aren't really any decent games that don't have "Zelda", "Mario", or "Metroid" in the title that appeal to hardcore gamers (the ones who routinely spend money on software). I don't buy those software projections for a second, considering the the article completely ignores the software sales history to date......which would show the Wii software getting slamdunked by the blockbuster titles of the other two systems.

Interesting that the article praises Nintendo for creating so many 1st party titles, yet Reggie Fils-amie had to slam 3rd party developers a couple weeks ago for designing all their AAA titles for the 360 and PS3.......because he knows the Wii library is crap. The Nintendo "Seal of Approval" means about as much as the Krusty The Clown Seal of Approval these days.

And what this article also doesn't tell you is that every single title ported to the Wii from the other 2 systems gets average review scores that are well below that of their 360 and PS3 counterparts.

Shaun White Snowboarding? That game is garbage.....and reviewed as such for the Wii.

Last edited by metallicatz; 12-05-2008 at 09:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »