Home

November NPD

This is a discussion on November NPD within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: November NPD

Also, can't find the link right now, but MS has reported roughly 50% of the sales have been Arcades which means that a significant # of people are spending 250 or 300+ on the 360. I don't think it just price but price definitely has something to do with it. Given the economic situation at Sony, I don't see any price cut imminent. They've already lost more money on the PS3 than they gained on the PS2- profitability, not market share, is the bottom line.

They better pray for Killzone 2 to move units. Resistance 2 is a great game and it barely made Top 10 sales in a month where people's threshold for game purchases is pretty low.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #18
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Also, can't find the link right now, but MS has reported roughly 50% of the sales have been Arcades which means that a significant # of people are spending 250 or 300+ on the 360. I don't think it just price but price definitely has something to do with it. Given the economic situation at Sony, I don't see any price cut imminent. They've already lost more money on the PS3 than they gained on the PS2- profitability, not market share, is the bottom line.

They better pray for Killzone 2 to move units. Resistance 2 is a great game and it barely made Top 10 sales in a month where people's threshold for game purchases is pretty low.
Like Little Big Planet, I see no way that Killzone 2 moves systems. One, people are going to remember the first one was a pile of crap, and two, there's nothing about it to pull people in. It's just another FPS to tons of people as Resistance 2 was. For instance, my local Gamestop didn't even have a midnight opening for Resistance 2 because the interest wasn't high enough, yet there were a few hundred there for the Gears 2 midnight opening.

God of War 3 is really their next system mover from here till next Xmas.

Don't get me wrong, MS doesn't have anything huge on the horizon either, but their price cuts have pushed them way ahead. If Sony can't do that, well, they aren't moving out of 3rd anytime soon.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 12-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #19
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

OVR: 25

the funny thing for Ps3 is they have had some good exclusives this year but COD:WAW maybe the best selling ps3 title of the year.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Like Little Big Planet, I see no way that Killzone 2 moves systems. One, people are going to remember the first one was a pile of crap, and two, there's nothing about it to pull people in. It's just another FPS to tons of people as Resistance 2 was. For instance, my local Gamestop didn't even have a midnight opening for Resistance 2 because the interest wasn't high enough, yet there were a few hundred there for the Gears 2 midnight opening.

God of War 3 is really their next system mover from here till next Xmas.

Don't get me wrong, MS doesn't have anything huge on the horizon either, but their price cuts have pushed them way ahead. If Sony can't do that, well, they aren't moving out of 3rd anytime soon.
It's all about creating some hype. Little Big Planet is a niche product, it doesn't appeal to the casual gamer like an action title or an FPS does these days. Gears of War has been everywhere, be it with television ads or IGN and print, where as Resistance 2 wasn't/isn't. If Sony can create a buzz for Killzone 2 then they can find some success there, the same can be said for God of War. They just better make sure Killzone 2 is actually any good. If they push it and it ends up being a poor game then that will do irreversible harm. I don't think many people have the first one fresh in their minds, so this is basically starting over for the franchise. It doesn't have to be innovative, it can be just another FPS and still move units. Gears of War 2 doesn't do anything new or exciting, but the general public likes to know what its getting. If people wanted a truly unique experience then Little Big Planet would be flying off the shelves.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

The problem with LBP is it is a casual game on a non casual system.

They wanted to appeal to the casual gamer crowd and I'm sure they did, but not for a $399.99 price tag when they can get a Wii for around $200 or a 360 for $199.99.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #22
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
The problem with LBP is it is a casual game on a non casual system.

They wanted to appeal to the casual gamer crowd and I'm sure they did, but not for a $399.99 price tag when they can get a Wii for around $200 or a 360 for $199.99.
Great point.

I haven't played LBP, but I'm sure if it was on the Wii it would have sold 1.5 million copies.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 12-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #23
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Great point.

I haven't played LBP, but I'm sure if it was on the Wii it would have sold 1.5 million copies.
Probably would. It's just a unfortunate situation for Media Molecule because they really do have a great game. Hopefully it sells well over a long term period for them.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #24
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit
No price drop,a crap economy, and cheaper Blu-Ray players; if Sony expected to improve this holiday season on last year they were being delusional. The PS3 is what it is at this point and not until the next price drop will it see a spike in sales. Given that Sony can now sell stand-alone Blu Ray players at $299 the PS3 also could be in line for a price reduction sometime soon.
The ps3 hasn't had a price drop because Sony can't afford to do so. While MS finds ways to lower the price of the 360, Sony tries to justify keeping the prices at $400 and $500 because they have to. They don't even have the two different models anymore. All ps3 models are the old stripped down 40 gig consoles, with no ps2 BC and 2 usb slots.

The ps3 is in an interesting position, especially with the economy turning bad all over the world. Plus, Sony has apparently missed this holiday boat, unless their plan was to have people start buying ps3's because they can't find a wii or 360.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »