Home

Question about transferring purchased licenses (Xbox Live)

This is a discussion on Question about transferring purchased licenses (Xbox Live) within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
Question about transferring purchased licenses (Xbox Live)

I know there are a few of you guys here that are somewhat of experts of Microsoft's licenses of content purchased from Xbox Live Marketplace. I was wondering if any of you could help me with a question.

I know that when you purchase a piece of content, let's use a rock band track for an example, that content is tied to the gamertag and the xbox that it was downloaded to. That is to say, it can be used by any gamertag on the original xbox that it was downloaded to. The content can also be used on another Xbox if it is downloaded by that gamertag, and can only be used if that gamertag is signed in. Correct me if any of that is incorrect.

Now my question is this, is there any way to transfer the license that is tied to the Xbox? To try to explain that, if the Rock band track is downloaded on one xbox, and therefore is useable by any gamertag on that xbox. Is there a way to transfer that license to another xbox, so that xbox can have the content be usable by anyone and the first xbox that it was originally downloaded on can now only be used by that gamertag?

Hope that makes any sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Question about transferring purchased licenses (Xbox Live)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Yuhas
I know there are a few of you guys here that are somewhat of experts of Microsoft's licenses of content purchased from Xbox Live Marketplace. I was wondering if any of you could help me with a question.

I know that when you purchase a piece of content, let's use a rock band track for an example, that content is tied to the gamertag and the xbox that it was downloaded to. That is to say, it can be used by any gamertag on the original xbox that it was downloaded to. The content can also be used on another Xbox if it is downloaded by that gamertag, and can only be used if that gamertag is signed in. Correct me if any of that is incorrect.
You've got it correct so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Yuhas

Now my question is this, is there any way to transfer the license that is tied to the Xbox? To try to explain that, if the Rock band track is downloaded on one xbox, and therefore is useable by any gamertag on that xbox. Is there a way to transfer that license to another xbox, so that xbox can have the content be usable by anyone and the first xbox that it was originally downloaded on can now only be used by that gamertag?

Hope that makes any sense.
Yes, once per year. At Xbox.com they have a DRM tool that'll allow you to transfer the license to a new Xbox and have that be the one owning the content. It's a great feature for those people upgrading to newer system/buying a new 360 to replace a dying one, etc. Link below.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/sy...ensemigration/
Old 12-25-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Question about transferring purchased licenses (Xbox Live)

Thanks man thats golden, it'll be great to get all my rock band tracks defaulted to one console.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »