Home

ps3 fan noise and repair?

This is a discussion on ps3 fan noise and repair? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
ps3 fan noise and repair?

i've had my 40gb model (situated in an open area by the way) since march of 08 and the fan has always made a fair bit of noise (louder than my computer). It starts out ok then about 10 minutes after playing the show or watching a movie it kicks into a different gear. The fan sounds like its running smoothly, just very loud, no clicking noises or anything like that. When watching movies it does periodically get quieter then it speeds back up to the point where you can hear it over the tv speakers (which is very annoying). I called sony and they said to send it in for repair. What i'm wondering is has anyone else here sent theirs back for this reason (to damn loud) and if so did they rectify the problem?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Pro

JoshCA916's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: ps3 fan noise and repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
i've had my 40gb model (situated in an open area by the way) since march of 08 and the fan has always made a fair bit of noise (louder than my computer). It starts out ok then about 10 minutes after playing the show or watching a movie it kicks into a different gear. The fan sounds like its running smoothly, just very loud, no clicking noises or anything like that. When watching movies it does periodically get quieter then it speeds back up to the point where you can hear it over the tv speakers (which is very annoying). I called sony and they said to send it in for repair. What i'm wondering is has anyone else here sent theirs back for this reason (to damn loud) and if so did they rectify the problem?
i have now had my 40GB system for a year and never had a problem with the fan making noise watching movies or playing games, but i do clean mine out every once in a while, there is a video on youtube you can watch where the guy shows you how to do it, it is really just to test your fan but it also cleans it at the same time, you may want to check it out and see if it helps, just put this in the search and watch the video, 40Gb PlayStation 3 Fan Test/Dust Extractor
Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: ps3 fan noise and repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCA916
i have now had my 40GB system for a year and never had a problem with the fan making noise watching movies or playing games, but i do clean mine out every once in a while, there is a video on youtube you can watch where the guy shows you how to do it, it is really just to test your fan but it also cleans it at the same time, you may want to check it out and see if it helps, just put this in the search and watch the video, 40Gb PlayStation 3 Fan Test/Dust Extractor
thanks for replying, yeah i've seen that video and actually did try it out, didn't help though, mine's been noisy since i got it, i'm hoping if i send it in for repair it might be something as simple as them installing the 19 blade fan if thats what its lacking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »