Home

What sports games live up to this gen?

This is a discussion on What sports games live up to this gen? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #33
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: What sports games live up to this gen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekey55
You know, now that I think about it, there is one sports game I believed showcased what next-gen can do and that would be the Skate franchise...amazing animations and physics.

It's probably the only sports game that I think could not be done as well on last generation.
Skate and Skate 2 is a very good point!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #34
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21

The more I think about this.

Really nothing has made leaps and bound jumps.

The developers all say that the 360/PS3 have given them more room for AI code, but they are still tinkering with all of that.

Beyond AI and Graphics, there's not much that's been added.

ONLINE could be done the same way on the old hardware since the main thing lacking then was Broadband being in most gamer's homes.

Games could be redesigned from the ground up (MLB The Show being the leader on this for the PS2).

So, there's nothing that's really redefined sports gaming this generation. It's all been evolution.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXZeke
The more I think about this.

Really nothing has made leaps and bound jumps.

The developers all say that the 360/PS3 have given them more room for AI code, but they are still tinkering with all of that.

Beyond AI and Graphics, there's not much that's been added.

ONLINE could be done the same way on the old hardware since the main thing lacking then was Broadband being in most gamer's homes.

Games could be redesigned from the ground up (MLB The Show being the leader on this for the PS2).

So, there's nothing that's really redefined sports gaming this generation. It's all been evolution.
uhhhh this is a tough sell. I understand nothing has come out and been OUT OF THIS WORLD amazing for sports titles. BUT you got to see that the level things can be improved on from a year to year basis is only so much. A longer release between games we would see a much greater improvement from title to title.

I for one honestly don't think Madden should be released eveyr year. Maybe every 2 years. Then the off year release a roster patch. But of course they won't take away millions out of their pockets for this matter.

What I am saying is things like graphics are "easy" fixes because the system can handle the higher texture res. But things like advanced AI and such is really in the hands of talented coders. No matter what system this is on, it still falls on the hands of who is doing the code.

So it is not really that the tech is going to make better games. But the game designers and code writers have to improve has a whole aswell. BUT this issues are mainly pitfalls with a new industry. I mean the whole gaming industry as a whole has only been around 20 years and look at the leaps and bounds it has made in that short period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #36
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekey55
You know, now that I think about it, there is one sports game I believed showcased what next-gen can do and that would be the Skate franchise...amazing animations and physics.

It's probably the only sports game that I think could not be done as well on last generation.
I hear ya, but sorry my friend, skateboarding is not a sport.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #37
Th*s F*c* C*sh*s Ch*cks

ezekiel55's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
I hear ya, but sorry my friend, skateboarding is not a sport.

You're one of those, huh?...give it a whirl and we'll see how well you fare in a "non-sport" like skateboarding.

I'd like to hear someone like you define what it is then, because I've got scars and a metal plate in my hand from pushing myself in this SPORT, to reach my full potential.

Just because it doesnt involve a ball, whistle, and a crooked ref doesnt mean its not a sport, buddy.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #38
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

I would say "The Big Four" of current gen sports game/series are: NHL 09, MLB 08: The Show, Fifa 09, and NBA 2K9.

All 4 of these titles are a blast to play.

I have to admit, my level of enjoyment of sport games has really increased after I avoided bug threads/posts. For example, I think the AI in NBA 2k9 is excellent, but I'm sure the hardcore folks could point a millions things wrong with it.

One feature that is lacking in almost every series, is the ability to save during an exhibition game. This is a big feature for people who don't have a lot of free time to game and don't want to leave their system on after they head out.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #39
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
I would say "The Big Four" of current gen sports game/series are: NHL 09, MLB 08: The Show, Fifa 09, and NBA 2K9.

All 4 of these titles are a blast to play.

I have to admit, my level of enjoyment of sport games has really increased after I avoided bug threads/posts. For example, I think the AI in NBA 2k9 is excellent, but I'm sure the hardcore folks could point a millions things wrong with it.

One feature that is lacking in almost every series, is the ability to save during an exhibition game. This is a big feature for people who don't have a lot of free time to game and don't want to leave their system on after they head out.
lol good point. I love people pointing out the flaws in a game I am really enjoying
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 17

NHL 08/09. Skate 1 & 2 (I'll go ahead and list this series as within the arena of sports).

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »