Home

Does anyone feel the 360's disc capacity is really limiting sports in general?

This is a discussion on Does anyone feel the 360's disc capacity is really limiting sports in general? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Does anyone feel the 360's disc capacity is really limiting sports in general?

Developers only have an X amount of time, budget, and resources. Sports developers are in a tough spot of having to deliver an annual product. Games this generation are more expensive to make and most of the teams working on them are bigger. When you're having to develop a game that's going to be on multiple platforms, not only do you more than likely not have the time to do so, but factoring in sales and what not, it probably just doesn't make sense from a business perspective to use that extra space that's afforded by Blu-ray in any meaningful way.

If the 360 had a format that afforded more disc space, it would be interesting to see the kind of sports games we would see, and really games in general. At the same time, I don't know about anybody else, but some of these sports games break my damn heart when it comes to the gameplay. Offering more space isn't going to help with the tuning of gameplay, ultimately it's just going provide the opportunity for more fluff.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Does anyone feel the 360's disc capacity is really limiting sports in general?

the bluray benefits for gaming are small. It certainly isn't needed for evey game, and some of the ones that do require the larger capacity could have the game on a DVD-9 disk if they really had to. It isn't the size available that matters, but what the developers do with what they have to work with. Huge open world games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 fit just fine on a single DVD.

The folks making The Show have done amazing work, but it's hard to really say that the same stuff couldn't be done on the 360 in some way or another. Just basing this off of the size of the ps3 games is kind of misleading, but you can't really blame Sony for hyping this.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 14

To answer your question Pared

I think sports games started getting limiting with these "next-gen" consoles, regardless of the size they work with. The justification just isn't there to make a complete game. Everything is about the bottom line and the next fiscal year. The development costs for these consoles are extremely high. Add that to the development cycle for games, which primarily is yearly, and we get what we've seen for the last few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 9

I believe blu-ray is the future, but not the present of sports gaming. I haven't heard any developers of multi-platform sports game complain about space or release an inferior product on the 360.

A large drawback of blu-ray is the speed. The show takes forever to load, while DVD based games on 360 load much quicker. This will not be an issue once they release faster loading blu ray drives as they have with DVD over the years.

A natural progessrion will occur as games need that extra space and the technology matures where it doesn't have any drawbacks vs. DVD. I think the next generation of consoles is where we will see unified blu-ray players along with developers really taking advantage of its strengths.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
All Star

bkfount's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivo1050
I believe blu-ray is the future, but not the present of sports gaming. I haven't heard any developers of multi-platform sports game complain about space or release an inferior product on the 360.

A large drawback of blu-ray is the speed. The show takes forever to load, while DVD based games on 360 load much quicker. This will not be an issue once they release faster loading blu ray drives as they have with DVD over the years.

A natural progessrion will occur as games need that extra space and the technology matures where it doesn't have any drawbacks vs. DVD. I think the next generation of consoles is where we will see unified blu-ray players along with developers really taking advantage of its strengths.
Bluray being the future is debatable. Many people think that physical media is eventually going to end up taking a backseat to digital distribution. Obviously this depends on how fast high speed internet continues to spread, along with HDD prices dropping. But it does look like this is the future, as both Sony and MS provide digital distribution options right now.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

well hard drives are cheap for everything except consoles(at least the 360). the 360 uses laptop hard drives for it's hard drives(I believe most are Seagate, unless they have changed brands), and you can get a 500 GB laptop hard drive for under $140(about the same price as the 120GB drive for the 360). I guess they charge a lot for the software in them or something.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
All Star

bkfount's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
well hard drives are cheap for everything except consoles(at least the 360). the 360 uses laptop hard drives for it's hard drives(I believe most are Seagate, unless they have changed brands), and you can get a 500 GB laptop hard drive for under $140(about the same price as the 120GB drive for the 360). I guess they charge a lot for the software in them or something.
no, they charge for the process to package the HDD in the proprietary case basically. Like a year ago, when the 120 gig HDD was $180, iSuppli estimated that it cost MS $100 to produce and package it. It's still $149, which is $50 less than an Arcade model. If they cut the price to where they would barely break even, I'm sure they'd actually see sales of XBL content shoot up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 16

not every 360 had a hard drive is a killer

so ps3 users get a game that is meant for a system withOUT a hard drive.

think about this.......

why does EVERY ps3 exclusive game destroy anything xbox or multi platform games that has come out?

compare:
gran tourismo prologue to forza 2
mlb the show 09 to mlb 2k
killzone 2 to gears of war and/or halo

all the games on ps3 are superior in every way to the 30

now you may LIKE forza, mlb 2k and/or halo & gears of war......but imagine if they were made on a ps3 how much better they would be

360 is holding this generation back.

when developers get hip and start making games for ps3 THEN port what they can to 360 is when this generation will take off

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »