Home

PS3 Slim (120GB HDD)

This is a discussion on PS3 Slim (120GB HDD) within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #41
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: PS3 Slim (120GB HDD)

Rumor: Taiwanese firms awarded PS3 Slim manufacturing contracts

Quote:
Another possibly "frustrating" leak for Sony, word comes from our buddies at Joystiq Japan and Engadget Chinese that two Taiwanese manufacturing companies have been awarded contracts to build Sony's new streamlined PS3, affectionately known as the PS3 Slim. According to UDN.com, half of the orders have gone to Taiwanese group Foxconn, while the other half has gone to Pegatron. The units are expected to start shipping in early July "to cope with expected summer vacation demands."

The news has a ring of truth to it, given that the two firms have manufactured the original PS3. The timing also makes sense, as Japan actually buys most of its game consoles during the summer vacation period (as opposed to the winter holidays in the west). Still, all of this info comes from anonymous sources, so take it with a very hearty helping of salt.

Assuming the news is true, it would mesh well with the PS3 Slim rumors we've heard so far, most notably that Ars Technica expected the units to hit the market in August or September. Add this to the string of rumors and leaks -- even some purported images of the unit itself -- and the PS3 Slim looks like it could be hitting the ground sooner rather than later.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #42
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

worst kept secret ever.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #43
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
worst secret keepers ever.
I think that's what you mean.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #44
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

They could make it the size of an iPod Shuffle, it wouldn't matter as long as the price stays the same. No one is currently saying to themselves, "Man, I would love to pick up the PS3, but it's just too damn bulky!" The real issue is the price, and the PS3's sales won't budge until it drops.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 06-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #45
All Star

bkfount's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
They could make it the size of an iPod Shuffle, it wouldn't matter as long as the price stays the same. No one is currently saying to themselves, "Man, I would love to pick up the PS3, but it's just too damn bulky!" The real issue is the price, and the PS3's sales won't budge until it drops.
but the slim makes the ps3 cheaper to manufacture, which allows Sony to have some wiggle room with a potential price drop. Or they can at least make money on them while pitching the value of the ps3.

A drop is coming, but you have to wonder if they really get it down to $299. This is Sony after all, and they priced the PSP Go at $250. They have some big games coming up and they may just see how those help with sales first before carving off $100 on the ps3.

MS is also positioning the 360 to offer just the $199 Arcade and $299 Elite. They have Natal coming out next year, so they probably won't drop down much lower only to see the price jump back up when they bundle Natal in.

Last edited by bkfount; 06-30-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
A drop is coming, but you have to wonder if they really get it down to $299. This is Sony after all, and they priced the PSP Go at $250. They have some big games coming up and they may just see how those help with sales first before carving off $100 on the ps3.
Well, I feel like that was the strategy with LBP, KZ2, The Show, and inFamous, but I don't think those exclusives will move enough consoles. I don't think the other upcoming exclusives will change that without a price drop. I mean, I honestly feel the system is worth $399, but in this economy it's not working out for Sony.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #47
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

If only it was BC as well.

I am NOT giving up my ps2.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #48
All Star

bkfount's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi151
If only it was BC as well.

I am NOT giving up my ps2.
Well some evidence shows that Sony was at least interested in trying to get full software BC, even some hinting in April that they may look to offer God of War 1 and 2 with the collector's edition of the 3rd.

There's probably tons of ps2 owners like you that Sony would love to see upgrade, but they're going to do it with value or price. To do ps2 BC now, they'd have to emulate the entire ps2 hardware. The previous ps3 model with software ps2 BC only needed the emotion engine CPU emulated. I'm surprised MS supported it on the 360 as long as they did.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »