Home

Do sports games run smoother on the ps3?

This is a discussion on Do sports games run smoother on the ps3? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 23
Do sports games run smoother on the ps3?

I had a 360 for years and sold it. I had it hooked up through the vga port on my lcd monitor because it was one of the originals without the hdmi port. So it's hard to compare here for me. But i have the ps3 now and got it with the show and have it hooked through hdmi. I've since picked up Madden. I also dloaded a bunch of demos. These are the ones i tried for comparisons sake.

NBA Live 09
MLB 2k9
NBA 2k9

One thing I noticed was how much smoother playing these games are on the ps3. They are demos so i dont know it its just because its off the harddrive or if this is a trend with the ps3? The 360 used to have a tendancy of being pretty herky jerky in between plays and stuff like that though. The ps3 is smooth as silk so far. One thing i don't like the ps3 does have some anti aliasing problems in these games. It's more clear and sharp because of the hdmi i'm sure but there are also more pronounced jaggies sometimes. If I hook up a 360 through hdmi will i have those as well? Also is the ps3 just smoother running like this in general? MLB 2k9 is a smooth playing game and all the animations are really smooth on the ps3. That's what surprised me the most. All the slow down and speed up and glitch out stuff isn't there. Live is also really smooth where on the 360 it would slow to a crawl during replays. NBA 2k9 also appears to run at a quicker clip. The 360 version was really solid as well but it had framerate issues with certain camera angles.

The consensus has been that most multiplats run better or smoother on the 360 that's why i'm a bit surprised here?

Last edited by kGinGreen; 05-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Do sports games run smoother on the ps3?

Does anyone want to chime in on this? Also the anti aliasing issue with the ps3? It seems like most multiplats dont have those refined edges like it should. There are noticeable jaggies in most multiplats or rough edges.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
AB>

Moses Shuttlesworth's Arena

OVR: 34

I feel like the 360 is smoother....and the graphics on 2k9 on the ps3 are horrid in comparison to 360's.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

When I had both systems and would compare games, every sports game ran and looked better on the 360. That's just my opinion, but I didn't find one multi-platform game that performed better on the PS3.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Banned

I borrowed my friends 360 and did a comparison head 2 head last night. You are right sir. It's close. The ps3 actually runs really well. The 360 wins.. I sort of answered my own question.

I have the shadow controller for my ps3 which is the equivalent of the 360 controller on the ps3 and the I'm convinced it's the best controller they offer. It's looser but it's a solid design and works well. Between it and the 360 controller it's a different feel but it's nice. I can't stand the siaxis pad for sports games. The shadow controller does the trick. The 360 controller has the quickest, tighest sticks known to man and is perfect although it feels cheap.

I compared

Madden 09-PS3 version looks sharper and has better lighting. 360 version has tourneys and still looks really solid. The 360 just has a fuller look to it. Hard to explain. It's surprising they look different if you look at them but both look great. Both are also smooth as silk. Tie

NBA Live 09-Identical. EA is obviously buying into the ps3 and releasing their games identical on each system now. NBA Live 09 is identical on both systems although the ps3 framerate can drop at times just a bit more. The 360 version will hiccup sometimes and the audio will cut in and out. The ps3 version can look slightly cleaner but it's so close it's ridiculous. Tie

NBA 2k9-The PS3 version has rough edges and jaggies. 2k is obviously not doing as nice a job porting. It still runs well and looks great on the ps3. It looks cleaner and lighter in areas but it has that jaggy outline around everything. Winner 360

MLB 2k9-See above. Same game. The lighting is actually more pronounced on the ps3 here. It has better lighting for sure. But the jaggies are just as bad. 2k really needs to anti alias their games on the ps3. Winner 360

GTA IV-The ps3 version looks softer and has better lighting. It's also lower res and blurrier. The 360 version has better framerates. I like the look of the ps3 version and think it edges the 360 here although the 360 still has better framerates.

EA is obviously doing their due dilligence on both consoles and I'm sure it's the same for NHL and FIFA as well. 2k not so much.

Anyways my search for the best sports gaming console continues lol. The PS3 has the Show. I like the Show. It's a great game and really polished but I honestly dont know if its worth it. It's definately not the end all be all for me.

The 360 has been the lead console so far and it shows although these are very small things. Do you see any reason why that will change? Otherwise I might end up going back to the 360. It has the tighter controls and better versions of these games although its really close. I need to decide which console i want to stick with the rest of this gen because i refuse to own both. I'll be really disapointed if i go back and suddenly madden 10 comes out and the ps3 version is a lot better.

PS3-free online and MLb The Show
360-slightly better versions and tighter controls.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 05-20-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
DickDalewood

OVR:

A year ago (when I owned both systems), I would have voted 360 without taking a breath.

Now, however, I feel the gap has closed, which is why I went to one console. Even if there is still a SLIGHT difference, you're never going to notice until you play the two versions side by side.

Other than the wonky replays, Madden and NCAA played exactly the same last year.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

I think the colors are better on the PS3. The 360 tends to look washed out to me.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
I think the colors are better on the PS3. The 360 tends to look washed out to me.
Yeah the ps3's colors and lighting are definately richer. GTA IV is a prime example of that. It looks really washed out on the 360.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »