Home

My PS3 Just Got "Red Screen of Death"

This is a discussion on My PS3 Just Got "Red Screen of Death" within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 31
Re: My PS3 Just Got "Red Screen of Death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
You must be the first EVER to get a red screen of death, I too have never heard of this.
I found some videos of it on YouTube. I have no idea what actually triggers it, though.

I got a red screen one time when trying to start up LittleBigPlanet. But it was just a red screen with no text at all on it. And I restarted the console and the game loaded up fine the next time and ever since. This doesn't seem to be the same issue.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

Have you tried hooking it up to another TV? Is connected via HDMI, component or RCA?

Is there a Error # as well?

Searching around I read where it could be an error when switching Audio output from optical to HDMI. Is this the case?

Last edited by tktnuri; 06-10-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Rookie

thanks for all the replies guys. i found a good discussion on the red screen of death here : http://www.amazon.com/Ps-Red-Screen-...=operasport-20. I read that this error is most likely caused by corrupt files on your HDD, most likely a firmware update. Still makes no sense though because i have had the latest update since i've had the console. i turned it off during the main menu screen, with nothing DL'ing. and then the next day it doesnt work. I called Sony today and at first they wanted to charge me $150 for repair cause i didnt have the receipt. Then I told them it was a gift and it was brand new and they checked if i was under the 1 year warranty, and finally said they would do it for free. Im waiting for them to send me a box now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
Rookie

I dont believe there was an error #. Just a message that read something like "a serious error has occured. Please contact technical support" in like 20 different languages. Google ''Red Screen of death ps3'' if you want to see the message. I guess the same type of error happens on PSP too.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

You should be able to return the system and get a new one without the receipt. You just need to know where it was bought. When the system is purchased, the serial number is scanned and a purchase record is made in a Database. They will be able to call it in and find out the exact date and time it was purchased.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Worst case, call Sony, it's only 3 weeks old, you'll get it repaired for free.
No he wouldn't because he doesn't have the receipt. They require proof.

I haven't heard of this red screen either.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
Rookie

yea they want me to fill out a form, and on that form theres a big blank box where you attach your receipt.. but i already called and told the girl i didnt have a receipt.. she said hold on let me check if your under the 1-year warranty.. i gave her the serial number and she ran it and determined that i was under warranty and they would repair it for free.. I'm still worried though because like i said theres a big blank box on the page where you attach your receipt, i guess ill just write a note telling them the serial # and that its under warranty.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »