Home

Activision CEO says PS3/PSP support might stop in 2010

This is a discussion on Activision CEO says PS3/PSP support might stop in 2010 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Activision CEO says PS3/PSP support might stop in 2010

well developers that talked like this did jump off the Gamecube last generation. While the Gamecube and Xbox were around the same in sales when this happened, the problem was that too many people were buying Nintendo's 1st party titles instead of the multiplatform stuff.

All Activision cares about is selling more games. The gap between the ps3 and the 360 in the US is around 8 million copies, and a large chunk of Activision's sales come from US gamers.

It's not like Sony was sitting around oblivious to the cries for a price drop until the largest 3rd part company demanded one. Not only does Sony still lose around $40 on each PS3, but as a Japanese company, the stronger Yen against other currencies makes them lose more money. MS would match any price drop immediately, and it likely won't do much to narrow the gap in the US anyways.

It's even likely that when the ps3 slim comes, it gets no price drop. Both the DSi and PSP go were hardware revisions that offered no price drop to consumers. It's being done to make the ps3 cheaper to make.

Last edited by bkfount; 06-19-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
Also if your an online gamer your going spend another $100 for your wirless adapter.
I'm an online gamer and I didn't buy the wireless network adapter.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
All Star

bkfount's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless
I'm an online gamer and I didn't buy the wireless network adapter.
me either.

I understand the reason behind using it to put down the 360, and it would be nice to have it built in. However, I got wifi on the 360 without ever buying the $100 adapter. You can even make you own 120 GB HDD, the maximum size the 360 allows, for $60.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

I really doubt that Activision is going to stop pimping Guitar Hero, COD, and Tony Hawk anything on the PS3. LOL! That is purely stupid of them and would lose a decent amount of sales by doing that even if they lag behind the 360.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Activison is the #1 3rd party publisher so that'd be major.
Only because of the billion dollars WoW brings in. In the last Game Developer top 20 publishers list, Activision (79) was third behind EA (123) and THQ (84) in number of games released. In terms of average review score, Activision was one of the worst.

In the end, Sony accounts for over 17% (handhelds total account for 8% but it's not broken down so we don't know how much of that is PSP) of Activision's revenue stream (360 is 12%, Wii 14%, WoW 38%). Considering they are losing money, I wouldn't count on PS3 support going anywhere.

I also don't see where he got this $500 million from, it's not in their balance sheet.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
All Star

bkfount's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsX8
I really doubt that Activision is going to stop pimping Guitar Hero, COD, and Tony Hawk anything on the PS3. LOL! That is purely stupid of them and would lose a decent amount of sales by doing that even if they lag behind the 360.
probably not huge titles like that, but they could certainly stop porting over games that are lower margin games already, like their licensed kid movie games like Ice Age. They already make games that have no PS3 version, like the crash bandicoot franchise. Activision was also one of the companies upset over how Sony charged them for DLC.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Who knows, maybe this will push Sony to drop their price, thats What I am waiting for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
same reason why we saw all preview videos on the PS2 opposed to the xbox, it came out first.

about the accessories prices, I don't see anything on sale for the 360 either. Also if your an online gamer your going spend another $100 for your wirless adapter.
Not really on wireless adapter. I got something that worked great and it costed me 15 dollars

If there is a Price cut on the PS3 watch the sales explode. That's all I'm saying. You know what the Ps3 is a great machine. Don't get me wrong. But the problem is that people can't look past the price. How many units would Ps3 sell if they dropped the price 100.00...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »