Home

Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments

This is a discussion on Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral50
Due to piracy.

This is becoming ridiculous! Like the way many devs have stopped making PC versions of their games, the same should happen with 360.

First we had both the big NBA games leaked days before release and now I've read that Borderlands has done the same.

Batman, Need for Speed Shift, DIRT 2 - all huge games leaked online before release and even more scary, having more downloading pirates than their PC counterparts.

I don't know how to actually hack and mod a 360 but it seems to be too easy. It was rarely mentioned in the media, but I always believed the Dreamcast died a quick death because of how easy it became to play copied games.

Why release games to a system that is so easily pirated?

I thought it was hilarious when GTA was announced for DS. With how easy that handheld console is to 'hack/mod', I instantly thought that 90% of the DS owners interested in this game will own a card reader and won't buy it. What do you know, a couple months later we read that the game has not sold well at all. Suddenly a PSP version is announced (which is almost as easy to access copied/downloaded games).

The Wii is apparently very easy to hack and play downloaded games as well. Which probably accounts for a good portion of the statistics of poor selling games, especially the 'mature' ones.

Big props to Sony for their PS3. I think this is the longest a console has gone without being hacked to play copied games and I really hope they continue the trend.

I know it's only a very minor stat, but here in Australia where there are nearly double the 360's to PS3's, all of the big name multi console franchises have sold more on PS3 in the last 12 months. Yes, this probably means the amount of faulty 360's has added to the total 360 number but also that many people are downloading their 360 games.

It's really sad.

Back to the sports side of things, I'd like to hear what both the EA and 2K devs on this forum think about their games being leaked online before the release date.
I'm confused - are you quoting a really stupid article? If so - where's the link so I can read the original one. It's a pretty stupid rant.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
As far as I am aware, no you can't pirate PS3 games.

And I'm pretty sure there was a stat or quote from the Crysis devs that said something like 1 person bought the game to every 20 who pirated it, so if that's anywhere near true, it shows that game profits are either heavily reduced or even turned into losses due to heavy piracy.

And it should matter to people who actually buy their games. Piracy ruins profit for the many artists, programmers, writers and so on who create the game and in turn, means they have less to work with for each new title. Basically, less profit means lower quality games and in extreme cases it could force some games to not be released on certain platforms or even contribute to the death of a console.
Crysis was a PC game and goes to my point that piracy is rampant on PC but nowhere else. Its not a major issue on the 360 because most people dont know how to mod their consoles or want to risk voiding a warranty. Out of the hundreeds of gamers I know, maybe 1 or 2 have modded consoles and those guys are big time hackers. Most people will just buy games.

Also your piracy argument doesnt hold water because it assumes that every person that pirates a game would have purchased it if it they werent able to get it for free. Yes some of them would have bought it but many would have just never played it.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Piracy on consoles is limited for many reasons. The average user won't use it because of the constant changes. You need to stay on top of updates, patches, network updates, to stay connected to the network with a hacked console. One mistake and the console is blacklisted.

Don't really understand why you are saying that developers should abandon the 360.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

There are plenty of PS3 pirated games out there. LOL This is funny to say they should abandon the 360.

Musicians should also probably abandon making any music CD or MP3 file as well then.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Piracy isn't a big enough issue for the 360 to outright abandon it, look at sales. They would be giving up potentially hundreds of thousands of copies sold because of maybe around 10k pirated copies.

Console piracy is really an overblown issue. Even last gen, the PS2 was a piracy paradise, and it did quite well. It doesn't matter at all how many people pirate a game, but how many are buying it. Many of the people pirating games probably wouldn't buy them if they had to, so it doesn't really count as lost sales.

Last edited by bkfount; 10-16-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
There are plenty of PS3 pirated games out there. LOL
No there isn't.

But anyways, the op's assertion is absurd.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Due to piracy.

This is becoming ridiculous! Like the way many devs have stopped making PC versions of their games, the same should happen with 360.

First we had both the big NBA games leaked days before release and now I've read that Borderlands has done the same.

Batman, Need for Speed Shift, DIRT 2 - all huge games leaked online before release and even more scary, having more downloading pirates than their PC counterparts.

I don't know how to actually hack and mod a 360 but it seems to be too easy. It was rarely mentioned in the media, but I always believed the Dreamcast died a quick death because of how easy it became to play copied games.

Why release games to a system that is so easily pirated?

I thought it was hilarious when GTA was announced for DS. With how easy that handheld console is to 'hack/mod', I instantly thought that 90% of the DS owners interested in this game will own a card reader and won't buy it. What do you know, a couple months later we read that the game has not sold well at all. Suddenly a PSP version is announced (which is almost as easy to access copied/downloaded games).

The Wii is apparently very easy to hack and play downloaded games as well. Which probably accounts for a good portion of the statistics of poor selling games, especially the 'mature' ones.

Big props to Sony for their PS3. I think this is the longest a console has gone without being hacked to play copied games and I really hope they continue the trend.

I know it's only a very minor stat, but here in Australia where there are nearly double the 360's to PS3's, all of the big name multi console franchises have sold more on PS3 in the last 12 months. Yes, this probably means the amount of faulty 360's has added to the total 360 number but also that many people are downloading their 360 games.

It's really sad.

Back to the sports side of things, I'd like to hear what both the EA and 2K devs on this forum think about their games being leaked online before the release date.
" You dont throw the baby out with the bath water"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #16
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

the only reason the ps3 hasn't dealt with piracy yet is because BD-R's and BD Burners cost as much as a PS3 and retail games, there's no point for it to be pirated when it costs just as much to get the real deal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »