Home

Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments

This is a discussion on Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball66
these game companies need to lower the price of the games, that would help a lot with any piracy. games had come down a few years ago but now a lot of them are in the $60 - $70 range(canadian), i would say 40-50 would be a better selling point.
yeah i agree back in the day they were like what 49 bucks brand new.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #34
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
these game companies need to lower the price of the games, that would help a lot with any piracy. games had come down a few years ago but now a lot of them are in the $60 - $70 range(canadian), i would say 40-50 would be a better selling point.
i've always thought it was funny how back in the day, when the games were $40 (and still overpriced) everybody said things would be better once we had the ability to have games downloaded instead of actually having a physical copy. now we finally have it and they charge the same damn price plus tax, there's absolutely no reason to buy the games on demand.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #35
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

I know a guy who has had his 360 soft modded, and plays online all the time....kinda frustrating when Im paying $65 bucks a game and he doesn't pay anything. But at least I can have peace of mind playing online, and support the few companies that actually make a decent product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #36
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Piracy doesn't care about price, as it simply follows popular content. Hollywood movies are among the most pirated stuff on the planet, yet they aren't really that expensive to see in theaters or for the dvd. The ps2 had a larger user base last gen, the games were $10 cheaper, and the piracy was more widespread than it is now on the 360.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #37
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

besides, games at $50 might mean more safe games and less new IP. if you are worried about sequels and shovelware now, you will see many more of them at that price point.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
i've always thought it was funny how back in the day, when the games were $40 (and still overpriced) everybody said things would be better once we had the ability to have games downloaded instead of actually having a physical copy. now we finally have it and they charge the same damn price plus tax, there's absolutely no reason to buy the games on demand.
Exactly, it's a joke.

I buy music online, because at least there's an advantage to only picking the songs I want. Plus, I'm going to listen to that music over and over.

But with buying downloadable games, there's no advantage when you are paying the same price, especially since you lose the ability to sell the game back when you are done.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #39
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk880
Exactly, it's a joke.

I buy music online, because at least there's an advantage to only picking the songs I want. Plus, I'm going to listen to that music over and over.

But with buying downloadable games, there's no advantage when you are paying the same price, especially since you lose the ability to sell the game back when you are done.
because digital distribution is still new, at least for full retail games. It's hard for companies to see the benefits in the change, as the music industry embraced it reluctantly, even though cd sales were plummeting year after year. Game sales are great right now, and companies aren't eager to piss off retailers with cheaper releases online or moving to only digital distribution.

The PSP Go's price is largely attributed to Sony needing to build in a higher retail markup for the hardware, since it's download only. If stores can't sell games for a console, why would they carry the consoles when they make little off them?

So until the proper internet infrastructure is in place for digital distribution to be a serious option to sell big budget retail games, we'll only see a token interest in the option.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 12

does the 360 have a web browser?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »