Home

Remember When Sports Games Were Just "Fun"?

This is a discussion on Remember When Sports Games Were Just "Fun"? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Remember When Sports Games Were Just "Fun"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I agree with pretty much everything in that. I remember playing through Mario games with a bunch of friends as well. We never complained, we just played the heck out of it and had a blast doing it.

I just wonder when we got away from that. I think it's like someone said, as games got more realistic looking, we started demanding realism and forgot that games are meant to be fun. It's a shame, too. Lots of games get blasted for things that 20 years ago wouldn't have mattered at all to anybody.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
I agree with pretty much everything in that. I remember playing through Mario games with a bunch of friends as well. We never complained, we just played the heck out of it and had a blast doing it.

I just wonder when we got away from that. I think it's like someone said, as games got more realistic looking, we started demanding realism and forgot that games are meant to be fun. It's a shame, too. Lots of games get blasted for things that 20 years ago wouldn't have mattered at all to anybody.
Well about the time I posted that is when I finally took the red pill and woke up. It's all about fun for me now. This doesn't mean I'm not going to post suggestions etc..
But you'll not see me posting "How the F can they leave out the pine trees over the left field fence again this year! WTF!!!"

I just take my time now and enjoy the game for what it is. I've also slowed down a bit as real life and family are priority. So that makes the gaming time I do get even more important to be 'for the fun"

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 02-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Same here. I leave the complaining for other people and I really enjoy most game I play and this was a really good year for sports games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Seriously, I loved this years Madden but some people have problems with it because of stuff like the Players gloves do not have their number on it
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #12
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

I remember playing NBA Action '95 using the Sonics for hours and hours on end, that **** was addicting.

And even up to MVP/NCAA/Madden 2005, I was doing dynasties/franchises seasons and seasons, but now it takes a lot for me to finish one.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #13
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Yup, I've started to play just for fun. I think it all started for me when I played MLB power pros and realized how fun it was, and ever since then I've had such a better experience with games. Had a lot of fun with NCAA bball 10 even though it had plenty faults. I can have a ton of fun with EA football games if I'm playing against someone(not online). Now I still am a stickler for batting stances in baseball games, but as long as I can edit them I'm happy.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #14
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

No. My competitiveness has never let a sports game be just fun for me.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #15
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22

I can't dwell on the past like some guys here have. Maybe becuase of an age disparity? I don't know.

Sure 10-15 years ago games were made to be fun, that's still the case now. It's just that 15 years ago we didn't have the tech to produce games like we can now. Over time, tech changes, expectations change. You can still have a fun game now without having to sacrifice some of the things we had to in the past.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Thread of the year IMO.. I remember it like it was yesterday!!

I have gotten back to it "some what".. i quit messing with sliders "all the time" i get some set and stick with it.. i have to fight the urges back lol. i just want to play the games, bc if i mess with settings etc to much i never enjoy the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I used to have the most fun playing sports games when I liked winning 100 - 0. Now I just don't have the patience for that lol.
This.

When my buddy was moving years back, we found our post it note pad with stats on it.. Kordell Stewart in NCAA or whatever it was called lol. threw for 1000 yards in a game and we won like 145 to 3.. lol.

We also had our user records vs each other in NHL 96. we were 202-202-100 vs each other. lmfao. how the hell did we play that many NHL games? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
P.S. A LOT of folks on this forum need to learn to balance their gaming experience between fun and reality-simulator IMO. There are too many folks who simply cannot enjoy games anymore because of this.
i must admit.. i was one of those guys for a long while. i blamed OS for this lol.. i never been to a place online where so many slider sets were being posted etc.. i almost had to ban myself from the slider forums. just like i banned my self from avforums lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLinn
I remember playing NBA Action '95 using the Sonics for hours and hours on end, that **** was addicting.
NBA Action was a blast, me and my same buddy played the hell out of this as well. Danny Ferry was a beast from 3 land!! lol
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

Last edited by Fiddy; 02-03-2010 at 08:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »