Home

Game makers strike back at used game market

This is a discussion on Game makers strike back at used game market within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #25
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Game makers strike back at used game market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
At least Entertainmart gives you straight up cash instead of credit.
wtf! Ours, at least for DVDs only gives store credit. I need to try games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #26
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
This is the way Steam works on the PC. Games are tied to your account and you can delete and download them as many times as you want. You can even have them installed on multiple pc's at the same time. Of course you can't play them at the same time, but it's still nice to be able to.
Yeah, Steam is nice that way...Starcraft 2 was easy as well. I just installed both on my new desktop and they worked like a charm.

One thing that I find annoying is that the digital copies of games cost exactly the same as a physical one...IMO they have to drop the costs of digital if they want more people to buy that new.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #27
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

IMO This will eventually backfire on these companies. Lets face it, we are living in hard times, and to make matters worse most $60 games aren't even worth that.

Seems like I am let down by a game more often than I enjoy a game. To me there are only a few titles a year that are worth $60. I will pay it if I feel its worth it, but I rent or buy used with the majority of my games. Now even just renting a game we are being punished. Screw the 7 day trial BS too. I rent games multiple times.

I just have a feeling that gamers aren't going to stand for these new practices. They will speak with their wallets.

And just to speculate a little. When the PS4 and new xbox comes out, i look for games to be at least $70 new.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #28
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

Game companies don't make a whole lot of money off rental companies either, they make the money off a $60 game purchase that is then rented to a couple dozen people at least. Publishers and developers have zero vested interest in keeping rental companies or used game sellers in business.

In the end, people said $60 games would hurt the publishers, it didn't, and this won't either. Codes and locked modes or online might work, but if it doesn't they will find something else.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #29
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
I can see your point but video game companys dont make any money off of used game sales and I understand why they do that.
It's pretty impossible to say they make no money from used sales. A consumer may buy DLC for their used games, or become interested in a new franchise. Plus, many people also trade games in towards brand new games.

I feel that companies are only crying about used sales now because they're losing money from an inefficient and flawed business model this generation. Who's fault is it that most 3rd party companies are primarily focused on expensive 360/ps3 HD blockbuster development, especially when the platforms are a distant 2nd and 3rd place to the Wii.

They're the ones that flooded the 360/ps3 with tons of similar $60 games in the same genres each year, all targeted to the same minority slice of "core" gamers. Of course all this competition affects sales, so publishers look to squeeze more money by making sequels they know will sell, or charging $15 for DLC map packs.

Last edited by bkfount; 08-16-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #30
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31_OS
IMO This will eventually backfire on these companies. Lets face it, we are living in hard times, and to make matters worse most $60 games aren't even worth that.

Seems like I am let down by a game more often than I enjoy a game. To me there are only a few titles a year that are worth $60. I will pay it if I feel its worth it, but I rent or buy used with the majority of my games. Now even just renting a game we are being punished. Screw the 7 day trial BS too. I rent games multiple times.

I just have a feeling that gamers aren't going to stand for these new practices. They will speak with their wallets.

And just to speculate a little. When the PS4 and new xbox comes out, i look for games to be at least $70 new.
I agree with what you're saying here. I think the $60 price point is because they want to be greedy. There isn't really a reason for them to jack up the price like that. They would make more money if the entry was more obtainable. Most of these games aren't worth the price point they are coming out the gate with. They work hard on the titles which I do respect. However, many of the companies don't put the real time and effort into titles like they should have in order to catch bugs, improve artificial intelligence, or make the stories sensible. Not to mention the companies who do sell you a gimped game and add DLC that costs over double of the title. I would understand if they were really hurting by losing money, but many of these companies give us DLC that makes them back a significant amount of cash back that they lose without having to pay for the hard copy sell and distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11
Game companies don't make a whole lot of money off rental companies either, they make the money off a $60 game purchase that is then rented to a couple dozen people at least. Publishers and developers have zero vested interest in keeping rental companies or used game sellers in business.

In the end, people said $60 games would hurt the publishers, it didn't, and this won't either. Codes and locked modes or online might work, but if it doesn't they will find something else.
I'm sure it's a little more than them just buying a $60 game and that's it. I'm sure major retail companies have to give some type of licensing fee or something. I'm sure there are some back-end fees or something.

Technically, the $60 prices are hurting game sales. These companies have to market the heck out of their titles because there is less room to buy up games from a consumer standpoint. Look back when the XBOX and PS2 were on the market as the prime gaming choices. The games were $50 and the prices were more digestible to the average man's wallet. Who here bought both Live and 2K on release day? Who here bought Madden or 2K ( and possibly 989 Sports) when they came out? It was more understandable. Maybe that's just me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
It's pretty impossible to say they make no money from used sales. A consumer may buy DLC for their used games, or become interested in a new franchise. Plus, many people also trade games in towards brand new games.

I feel that companies are only crying about used sales now because they're losing money from an inefficient and flawed business model this generation. Who's fault is it that most 3rd party companies are primarily focused on expensive 360/ps3 HD blockbuster development, especially when the platforms are a distant 2nd and 3rd place to the Wii.

They're the ones that flooded the 360/ps3 with tons of similar $60 games in the same genres each year, all targeted to the same minority slice of "core" gamers. Of course all this competition affects sales, so publishers look to squeeze more money by making sequels they know will sell, or charging $15 for DLC map packs.
Main reason why they are struggling now. Look at the type of titles there are on the market. There are mostly shooters coming it seems whether third or first. What happened to the other genres? Give us a twist. The suits are running the business to the ground and will continue to until there is some type of evolution/revolution injected into the model. I like gaming a lot but don't really like being played like a fool financially.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #31
Pro

Steelersfan85's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I think game companies need to start releasing downloadable versions of their game the same day that the hard copy drops. They should price it at $5-$10 bucks cheaper than what it would be at the store. They'd be making a little less money on it, but they'd also be cutting out any chance of lost profits by someone buying that same game used.
They could do this except release the digital version like 3-5 days early to encourage people to buy that instead of the physical copy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #32
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan85
They could do this except release the digital version like 3-5 days early to encourage people to buy that instead of the physical copy.
They need to do something to make us want to go digital. If it's the same price but I have all these DRM issues/limitations with digital, what's my motivation to get digital instead of the disc version?

Make it cheaper, give it to us sooner, something to make it worthwhile for people to use digital download purchases...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »