Home

IGN UK ranks top 25 consoles of all-time

This is a discussion on IGN UK ranks top 25 consoles of all-time within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: IGN UK ranks top 25 consoles of all-time

The list seems more geared towards impact during the console's life span rather than how the consoles hold up over time. The Famicom/NES was a behemoth and a deserving number one, even if few people would take one today over a more modern machine. The 2600 though just wasn't big enough to be #2. It was Atari and their low quality standards that nearly destroyed the gaming industry in the 80's and while many people have fond memories of their machines that's really all they've got. I'm also surprised at how little love the original Playstation gathers. To me, that system was RPG nirvana that has some of the best games ever made. I loved that system and still play its games, though I will concede, the 3D images of that era do not hold up as well as the sprite-based images of the 16 bit era.

1. NES
2. Playstation 2
3. SNES
4. Playstation
5. Genesis

Anything beyond the top 5 is unimportant and largely incomplete. The current crop of consoles get an incomplete from me, and while systems like the Gamecube, Master System and Xbox had their high points, both were over-shadowed by their contemporaries. As for the 2600, I'd place it somewhere in the top 10, I just think second best is way too high.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Agreed. And while I don't discount what the 360 has done for online gaming, it seems people forget that the PS3 helped to usher in a little thing called bluray.
This list is definitely more historical than anything. And that is why people in this thread give the 360 so much more respect, since they haven't played a PS3. (Assumption, of course. I see no other way such a gap between the two consoles can be listed. They are just about the same!) When this generation is looked at the way we look at the NES, I think the PS3 will be the one people prefer due to bluray (historical impact), just like the other consoles on this list. The Atari being number two should give you a good idea of what I mean.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
TNA & WWE thanks you

CWood2's Arena

OVR: 20

Also a little confused why the PS3 doesn't seem to get any love on these lists. Not trying to spark a console war, but with blu ray and some of the cool stuff they've done of late (3D integration, MLB TV app, movie downloads, etc) and the quality of games (Uncharted 1 & 2, GOW, MLB the Show, Heavy Rain), I would think it would get some top 10 respect.

Definitely seems to be more of a nostalgic list, but I think the PS3 is really going to push the envelope over the next few years.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Also a little confused why the PS3 doesn't seem to get any love on these lists. Not trying to spark a console war, but with blu ray and some of the cool stuff they've done of late (3D integration, MLB TV app, movie downloads, etc) and the quality of games (Uncharted 1 & 2, GOW, MLB the Show, Heavy Rain), I would think it would get some top 10 respect.

Definitely seems to be more of a nostalgic list, but I think the PS3 is really going to push the envelope over the next few years.
I think with ps3 it's that it has played catchup which sours many peoples opinions.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #21
OS Member #242

gopadres's Arena

OVR: 22

PS3 definitely needs to be top 10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 AM   #22
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2

Late launch, ridiculous pricing, constant shortages, removing features (fewer usb inputs, backwards compatibility)

All of these were self-inflicted wounds.

Sony has pulled it out of the ashes, once they won the format war.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #23
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Late launch, ridiculous pricing, constant shortages, removing features (fewer usb inputs, backwards compatibility)

All of these were self-inflicted wounds.

Sony has pulled it out of the ashes, once they won the format war.
While that has hurt the PS3, the 360 has not done much better especially with the RROD. I personally dont agree with it being that much higher than the PS3.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #24
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
While that has hurt the PS3, the 360 has not done much better especially with the RROD. I personally dont agree with it being that much higher than the PS3.
True. I was taking a stab at answering someone's question on why the PS3 isn't as loved.

IMO, the PS3 is the better value (now) therefore the better system.

But it almost always comes down to personal preference...just like LCD or plasma.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »