Home

IGN: Kinect seems like the lame donkey in the race.

This is a discussion on IGN: Kinect seems like the lame donkey in the race. within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: IGN: Kinect seems like the lame donkey in the race.

Well I guess I won't be getting Kinect now. I don't have 6 feet of open space in front of my tv. I'd guess 5 foot at best. Oh well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #26
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11
Sony had a moderately popular franchise with this controller:

MS came out with this new franchise in the same genre with this controller:

Gee, I wonder why someone would call that a copy.
Who doesn't copy.. lol

Sony said a HDD wasn't necessary. Said the rumble was "old" gen while MS kept it in...
Now the PS3 has a HDD and they brought back the rumble.
Now PSN is going with a pay system...

Both going with motion now.. So they copied Nintendo..

So yeah everyone copies at some point.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #27
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Who doesn't copy.. lol

Sony said a HDD wasn't necessary. Said the rumble was "old" gen while MS kept it in...
Now the PS3 has a HDD and they brought back the rumble.
Now PSN is going with a pay system...

Both going with motion now.. So they copied Nintendo..

So yeah everyone copies at some point.
Yeah, copying isn't new...everyone stole the mouse from Xerox I think lol

I'm interested in Kinect/Move, but I'll probably hold off just because they're both targeting the non-gamer at first...

I'll let them mature a bit and see how they are as time goes on.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #28

OVR: 34

I think Kinect is nothing but a risk being taken to test the waters and possibly give the 360 a little longer life cycle. I never understood the concern or frustration with motion controls in gaming (where many feared replacement of the controller). That's not going to happen anytime soon, if it ever happens at all. Gaming is leisure time. Is a peripheral welcomed that would allow motion controls? Sure, but look at the success of the Wii. Most of the popular titles are not heavy motion based games.

To me the motion controller will always be a peripheral, never the norm.

Last edited by DaveDQ; 08-03-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 08-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #29
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12

Well $150 is a big risk. No thanks.

Wait! Didn't the HdDVD drive add on cost something like that at one time? We see how that went.

XBox One GT: TheBadazz
PSN GT: TheBadazzOG
Nintendo Switch #:
5725-3994-1005
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #30
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

It was $200 at launch and then later it went down to $180 IIRC.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #31
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30

Another (more positive) preview

Quote:
I’m not saying I was totally won over by some of the games on offer (which if I’m being honest were far too casual for my liking), instead it was a few observations I made while there which really made up my mind that there is only going to be one winner when it comes to motion control this Christmas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #32
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Exclusive: How does Microsoft Xbox Kinect work?

Quote:
Microsoft invited T3 for a UK exclusive, all-access tour round the labs at the company's HQ in Redmond, Seattle to see exactly how Kinect works, and the work that’s gone into it. Kinect is made up of three distinct subsystems that each marries hardware and software, all of which are detailed in the three links below:
Movement Tracking

Voice Recognition

The Motor

On the mic array:

Quote:
The problem facing the microphone subsystem is that it needs to be sensitive to voices up to 10 feet away, while being able to ignore ambient noises and any sounds other than your voice. To solve this problem, the Microsoft lab went to 250 homes with 16 microphones and took a host of recordings from different setups, determining in the end the very best mic positioning.

The end result is an array of four downward-facing (so that the front of Kinect stays clean and grill-free) mics, spaced one on the left and three on the right. In fact, this specific microphone placement is the only reason why Kinect is as wide as it is.

This array works best at picking up voices at distance, but it still needs help. The onboard processing unit cancels out noise that it determines is coming from your beefy 5.1 surround system, while a software system called ‘Beam Forming’ works with the camera to work out where you are to create an envelope of sound around you. This hammers in the sound of your voice and ignores your friends or family members either side of you.

Kinect has an ‘acoustical model’ for countries and individual regional dialects, built from 100s of hours of actors from round the world talking through various sayings.
Gizmondo: Deep Inside Kinect

Quote:
Raghu Murthi, the general manager for Natural User Interface Hardware, is holding a Kinect, stripped naked, as a dozen people gawk at its innards. The exposed metal seems cold. He's telling us about the optical system—how it sees with the three holes in its head that seem like eyes. Without the plastic housing they look like they're bulging out. We're at the beginning of day-long tour of Kinect, gathered in the Great Room, the living room you wish had, but tucked behind a sliding wall inside one of the many food courts on Microsoft's sprawling campus. 3D sensing has been around for 15 years, Raghu explains. What Microsoft has done, he says, is taken 3D depth-mapping technology that typically costs $10,000 to $150,000, and made it at volume, for cheap.

Interview: Andrew Oliver, Blitz Games

Quote:
now with the new software libraries, if you're sitting down on the sofa, it works. OK, so one big thing that people were questioning was whether you could sit on the sofa. The new libraries work, but there are certain things, like in our fitness game, where you sit on the floor where it kind of gets confused. But the most expensive motion capture systems you can get out there, probably Vicon, it's like: you can break those as well, and that's why you employ clean up animators to go an fill in all the little gaps and stuff like that. So, we don't have the luxury of having that offline clean up ability, we have to do it live.

But then, what is it that you're doing live? For example, in Biggest Loser the skeleton doesn't work when you're lying on the floor, but what we had to do was say look at it in another way. They've given us the software library, and it can't cover all cases, but we can look at the silhouette and see that the player is currently doing a press up. You can actually see that their bum's lagging, and they're bending their back. Then I would need to do a software algorithm that kind of works that out. It's just a bit of image processing. So they've given you a generic piece, which is actually pretty impressive and covers most cases - certainly all the standing up, and now sitting down. If you want to go further than that, then do it yourself in software.
Quote:
The first wave of games cover some predictable genres. Is that an expression of what developers feel comfortable creating right now, or of what publishers are comfortable funding?

It's a bit of both. They're kind of obvious big motion capture genres. For launch titles, developers got pretty much a year. It was an internal secret at Microsoft, I believe, until E3. Once it had been announced last year at E3, then it was up to developers to talk to their publishers to get them to agree to contracts. Development kits are handmade, difficult to come by and expensive. They only gave them out to developers who are working on 'proper games', so developers who had a signed game with a publisher could have a kit.

For example, Harmonix are known for karaoke and Guitar Hero so Dance Central is a natural fit. It's completely obvious that if you have motion capture, you can make a fantastic dance game, so they could very easily get that all agreed to as a launch game. People have to do what's obvious and the developer has to know that it's going to work with absolute confidence, so they can do it in a year, and that there's going to be a market. And the publisher has to believe that it's going to work, and make them money. But some of the ideas we've had since - some which are in development, and some which are going round internally now - are just like, so out there.
Quote:
There are floor moves in that game though, which Kinect might struggle with...

No. Because some will use skeletal tracking and if floor moves are important - which you can argue in that, they are - it's possible. We've proved it's possible - Kinect knows when the skeleton hits the floor. So what you have to do is jump to your own routines that work out what's now happening on the floor. It's absolutely possible. You just have to look at what your game design needs, and then work out what you have to write. These things are definitely coming, it just hasn't been done yet. Games programmers aren't used to image analysis, so that's what we're all learning, which is why we have a lot of programmers working in completely new areas. But interesting areas.

What kinds of resources are these additional software algorithms taking up on the Xbox 360 hardware?

Well that's interesting, because obviously if you're trying to run your game and look at these huge depth buffers and colour buffers, that's a lot of processing. And it's actually processing that a general CPU is not very good at. So you can seriously loses half your processing if you were to do it that way. We've found that it's all down to shaders, but turning a depth buffer into a skeleton is pretty hardcore shader programming. What you tend to do is write all your algorithms, get it all working in C++ code, and then work out how to now write that in shaders.

By shaders you mean that it's running on the GPU?

Exactly. The GPU on the Xbox is very powerful but we've all only been using it for glossy special effects. A really good example of this is Kinectimals, as the most intensive thing that you can do on a GPU is fur rendering. So that GPU is doing all the fur rendering, and I can guarantee that it's also doing a lot of image processing too. It's brilliant that the Xbox has a really good GPU and can handle both these things, but actually writing that shader code to do image analysis is hardcore coding at its extreme!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »