Home

Playstation 4 games in development says Game Informer

This is a discussion on Playstation 4 games in development says Game Informer within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #57
True.

Chef Matt's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Playstation 4 games in development says Game Informer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
I really doubt it will be 2016 before we see a new playstation. I'm sure the PS3 will be supported well into 2016, but surely we'll see something new AT LEAST a couple of years before then.

How would Shane McGlaun of Tweak Town know anything about when the PS4 is going to be released anyways? That's the only source I've seen mention 2016, and I doubt that guy is the only one privy to that kind of information. No one in the press knows yet, but all of the speculation I've seen points to a 2012-13 release... which would make much more sense.
Yeah of course, and we all know that, but we're just all hoping this "uncredible source" is correct. lol
We Are Not Ready!
The celebrity chef culture is a remarkable and admittedly annoying phenomenon. Of all the professions, after all, few people are less suited to be suddenly thrown into the public eye than chefs. We're used to doing what we do in private, behind closed doors.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #58
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
I really doubt it will be 2016 before we see a new playstation. I'm sure the PS3 will be supported well into 2016, but surely we'll see something new AT LEAST a couple of years before then.

How would Shane McGlaun of Tweak Town know anything about when the PS4 is going to be released anyways? That's the only source I've seen mention 2016, and I doubt that guy is the only one privy to that kind of information. No one in the press knows yet, but all of the speculation I've seen points to a 2012-13 release... which would make much more sense.

make sense to who though? These companies don't make money on the sytems until years into the cycle - the longer they wait the more actual profit they grind out of this generation.

The costs of putting out a new system are monumental and as others have mentioned, there is not much leaving me wanting. I mean the graphics this gen are great for the most part...we still have to close the gap concerning AI and animation imo. A new system for a few more textures just won't cut it.

What are you going to give me 'next generation' that I missing now? All of the previous generations have had huge leaps in improvements all over the map, but now I almost feel like they are reaching. 3D, Motion, etc... I think 4 years is very reasonable time left. Imagine 4 years from now in time for the holliday season.

You know you're getting there when the smaller developers can push the system, but they aren't even close right now. There are a lot of crappy games being released still with crappy graphics and so on.

2 years or even 3 imo is just way too early.

An example I can think of is I think it was 2007 when I first heard of euphoria and natural motion which I think is a big deal and really like it...but I don't remember hearing about too much stuff like that the past year or two. Things that can really improve games and give them a major boost in one area. Maybe that rage game with it's environement rendering ability, but other than that it's just 3d crap and motion control which all the systems are more than capable of handling.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #59
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
make sense to who though? These companies don't make money on the sytems until years into the cycle - the longer they wait the more actual profit they grind out of this generation.

The costs of putting out a new system are monumental and as others have mentioned, there is not much leaving me wanting. I mean the graphics this gen are great for the most part...we still have to close the gap concerning AI and animation imo. A new system for a few more textures just won't cut it.

What are you going to give me 'next generation' that I missing now? All of the previous generations have had huge leaps in improvements all over the map, but now I almost feel like they are reaching. 3D, Motion, etc... I think 4 years is very reasonable time left. Imagine 4 years from now in time for the holliday season.

You know you're getting there when the smaller developers can push the system, but they aren't even close right now. There are a lot of crappy games being released still with crappy graphics and so on.

An example I can think of is I think it was 2007 when I first heard of euphoria and natural motion which I think is a big deal and really like it...but I don't remember hearing about too much stuff like that the past year or two. Things that can really improve games and give them a major boost in one area. Maybe that rage game with it's environement rendering ability, but other than that it's just 3d crap and motion control which all the systems are more than capable of handling.
Yep pretty much agree with this.

Whenever the next consoles come out it seems like the jump will have to come from things like AI, physics and animation rather than a signficant graphical jump like we saw with the current systems.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #60
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Yep pretty much agree with this.

Whenever the next consoles come out it seems like the jump will have to come from things like AI, physics and animation rather than a signficant graphical jump like we saw with the current systems.
I'm really hoping the new consoles have more RAM, as I believe that Ian/Adam always refer to the lack of RAM holding the games back. I believe the 360 only has 512MB?

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #61
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere

When I said that it makes sense, I meant that it makes sense when you consider the normal cycle of console releases. I didn't necessarily mean that it makes sense from a business standpoint. That being said, I think a 2012/2013 release would be fine.

Sure, they're probably either going to lose money or have a very small profit margin to start with. Though I don't think Sony will have the same kind of issues in this area that they did with the PS3. Now that Bluray has been established, they don't have to eat the cost of supporting an expensive new medium. The cost of putting a Bluray drive in a console in 2012 will be nothing compared to what it was back in 2006.

Aside from that, the new console will probably just see the typical type of hardware upgrades. Much more RAM, processing power, storage capacity, etc. These are all technologies that jump leaps and bounds over the course of 6 or 7 years.

Plus, it's not like they're going to take the PS3 out back and shoot it when the new console drops. Just look at all the of the success that the PS2 had after the PS3 was released. As long as they support it like they did with the PS2, the PS3 will be seeing quality titles at least a few years into the next gen™.

Most of us don't even think about a new console purchase until it has been out for a couple of years anyway. The hardcore guys will be there in droves to support it on day 1 and throughout the first year or so, but most of us will still be happy with our "old gen" consoles for a little while longer. Which is great, because by the time I buy a PS4 in say... 2014/15, the price will be down and they will have had a couple of years to work some of the kinks out.

I dunno, maybe I'm one of the only guys who feels this way, but I really don't see a problem with things playing out that way. At that point I will have owned my PS3 for 6 or 7 years, and will be excited to look into buying a new console that isn't running off technology that will almost be a decade old at that point.

Last edited by Jgainsey; 09-01-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »