Home

Playstation 4 games in development says Game Informer

This is a discussion on Playstation 4 games in development says Game Informer within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
MVP

Tiko7523's Arena

OVR: 14
Playstation 4 games in development says Game Informer

The most recent edition of Game Informer Australia magazine is claiming that Sony has told them that developers are preparing games for the currently unanounced Playstation 4.
The existence of the Playstation 4 has been predicted by many gaming-industry analysts, and is said to be releasing in 2012. This is no means a direct announcement of the new device, but it is an indication that Sony is preparing its publishing partners for the release. As a standard game can take anywhere between 2-4 years to be properly developed, it is necessary for developers to know the specifications for a new console well before the public finds out about it.
A development cycle for the launch games can be as little as two years, this is pointing towards a 2012 release for the console. As the Playstation 3 will be at a grand old age of 6 at this time, it is not unlikely that this will be the year the console launches. So this claim by Game Informer may be true, giving us an even greater indication that Sony is actively pursuing the follow up to the Playstation 3. It is more than likely just developers being given information about the possible specification for the device, allowing them an opportunity to properly develop games for the device well before the actual console is announced.

Source: Game Informer Australia Issue #9
The snippet (seen above) is part of the magazines 'Bite Size' segment, which is the location for all the news that has happened in the past month. This is a news section for the magazine, not a rumor section, so the information is possible.
It is a not very likely at all that Sony will announce the successor to the Playstation 3 anytime this year, but an announcement next year is increasingly being true as more and more rumors come to light, only time will tell.

http://www.neowin.net/news/playstati...ment-says-sony

PSN gamertag Tiko7523
Xbox Live Tag: Tiko7523
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Playstation 4 games in development says Game Informer

Excellent. Hopefully, the technology continues to advance.
I suspect Sony would delay for as long as possible any announcement on a new console. Because once it's official, with a release time frame, it would hurt sales of the PS3, as people in the market for a console might opt to wait for the newer machine.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
MVP

Tiko7523's Arena

OVR: 14

i just wish and am hoping for them to have a nice launch line up for ps4 when it eventually comes out

PSN gamertag Tiko7523
Xbox Live Tag: Tiko7523
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Excellent. Hopefully, the technology continues to advance.
I suspect Sony would delay for as long as possible any announcement on a new console. Because once it's official, with a release time frame, it would hurt sales of the PS3, as people in the market for a console might opt to wait for the newer machine.
Maybe, but I don't think so in this economy. I don't think too many folks (unless they're hardcore gamers) are going to opt for the more expensive choice. Look at how long PS2 outsold PS3 after the launch of the latter.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Actually if Sony announces a new console and they are the only one to do so for that year, people will just opt for xbox 360 or Wii.

IMO I don't think we will see a new console for microsoft or sony until 2013. Why ? Because for once in the history of video games, there are console platforms that are so powerful and sturdy tech wise, these systems haven't even been close to being maxed out yet.

This generation of gaming, graphics of these videogames are amazing, especially in these sports games and FPS. What developers need to be focusing on for the rest of this generation and next generation are the story lines.

Story lines for this generation of gaming has really taken a big hit. For the most part they are non existent. Instead you have a game with 6 hours of single player game play with a D grade story line and B grade online part of the game. Too much focus is on online modes.

Got to the point now people buy games based off of how many people in multi-player does it support compared to what the story line of the game is about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I don't think I'm leaving my PS3 for a long time.

HD was the big push to go from Xbox/PS2 to this current generation and that won't be an issue this time around. Plus, I play sports games 95% of the time and if the transition for sports games is anything like it was on PS3/360 then I won't be getting a PS4 until 2016-7.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I don't think I'm leaving my PS3 for a long time.
Same here. I really don't have an interest in a new console right now. I already have a huge backlog of great games I haven't played yet, plus there are some outstanding ones coming very soon (LittleBigPlanet 2, Gran Turismo, etc.).

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson

Story lines for this generation of gaming has really taken a big hit. For the most part they are non existent. Instead you have a game with 6 hours of single player game play with a D grade story line and B grade online part of the game. Too much focus is on online modes.

Got to the point now people buy games based off of how many people in multi-player does it support compared to what the story line of the game is about.
Unfortunately I think the "online" focus will be even stronger with the next-gen consoles.

Focus on the single player component of games is an endangered species.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »