Home

Kinect Reviews

This is a discussion on Kinect Reviews within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Kinect Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Oh and one other thing, I'm the exact target group that Microsoft and Sony is aiming for, I'm a young, male consumer with expendable cash who likes to be the first adopter of hardware. For example I had an iPad within 3 weeks of it's launch. So the fact that I'm unable to purchase a Kinect (despite really wanting to) does not bode well for the device I think...
You really aren't the target market though. First of all, like Cyros said, 40 years old isn't really young and second of all, Microsoft has said themselves that they are going after people who don't play very many games. The whole point of Kinect was to bring new people in who for whatever reason find controllers intimidating, not have everyone who already owns an Xbox buy one. If you were just a 40 year old guy who didn't play very many games but you bought one anyway then Microsoft would be happy about that.

Anyway, I have absolutely no interest in the games but like others said, the voice stuff and controlling the dashboard is what I really want so I'll be getting Kinect eventually but I'm not expecting any Kinect-only games to ever interest me. It will be interesting to see how developers integrate it into "traditional" games though.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I see your point but my point I think is still pretty valid, gadget gurus like myself usually make or break products like this through word of mouth and initial sales. If we're passing on it then it probably means a dark future for it.

Just to expand on that, if someone like myself who really wants one but can't buy it then how does Microsoft hope to convince more regular folks, who IMO you correctly said is the target market and are somewhat "meh" about it supposed to be convinced to go get one?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
I agree, they should've packed in Kinect Sports with this thing. That would've been a wiser choice. Bowling and table tennis look like a blast with some friends.
I think Sony made the same mistake with Sports Champions and not including a bowling and tennis game. Both MS and Sony are idiots..............look at what helped sell the Wii, those 2 packed in games alone were reasons why people were buying the Wii.

Quote:
I measured my living room and I have 5 1/2 feet from my TV to my chair. Plus I game in the dark 95% of the time. Other than those two things I'd be all over Kinect. Honestly I think this has fail written all over it because of those two requirements. Most people have their chairs closer to their TV than 6 feet and game in low lighting conditions. Move will end up being more successful IMO.
I'm about 7-8 feet away from the TV and can't move furniture around. I couldn't get the PSeye to recognize EyePet, which was a concern. I wonder if the 7-8 feet would be enough for Kinect. I must have spent 15 minutes trying to calibrate everything and no dice, so I said screw it and gave up.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Haha, I think its relative. It's not young overall but for gaming companies they look at the age of 35-40 as the ideal age for this sort of thing because that's when you're still "young enough to be playing" and "old enough to have expendable cash".

Also, I don't see how anyone could sit 9 feet away from their tv unless maybe they had a projector of 100" screen. I have a 67" samsung and sit 5 1/2 feet away. Of course then I usually sit closer than most folks at a movie theater as well.

All in all I'm just disappointed I can't get Kinect because I had planned to buy it day one.
5 feet from a 67" screen!? man!! Is your eyesight bad? That's extremely close. LOL

I sit about 7-8 feet away from my 47" and it looks perfect to me.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:

Also, I don't see how anyone could sit 9 feet away from their tv unless maybe they had a projector of 100" screen. I have a 67" samsung and sit 5 1/2 feet away. Of course then I usually sit closer than most folks at a movie theater as well.
Damn that's close! I have a 63" and I set 9 feet away. If I sat any closer I would feel like I'm sitting in the front row of a movie theater and wouldn't be able to see the entire screen.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

My eyesight isn't bad (20/30 in one eye, 20/10 in the other); I just like the screen filling as much of my field of view as possible. I never understood why anyone would buy a 67" tv and then sit 15 feet away. I mean sometimes you have to depending upon your living room or whatever but it makes no sense to me why people would do it voluntarily.

CaptainZombie - are you saying you think PS Move wouldn't work for me either w/5 1/2 feet for my setup?

Oh and just one other point, I really cannot sit any futher back from the screen even if I wanted, there is a big post in my den preventing me from going back further. One thing I could do is push my TV back a bit closer to the wall but I'd think at maximum that'd give me another foot of space, putting me about 6 1/2 feet.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

DirtyJerz, I forgot to mention I have eyes like those lizards where the eyes are mounted on the side of their head, LOL.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
DirtyJerz, I forgot to mention I have eyes like those lizards where the eyes are mounted on the side of their head, LOL.
Like this, Lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.8 KB, 231 views)

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »