Home

HD Gaming PVR Suggestions/Discussion

This is a discussion on HD Gaming PVR Suggestions/Discussion within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
MVP

PaperBoyx703's Arena

OVR: 22
HD Gaming PVR Suggestions/Discussion

Hey, while I am planning on getting a new laptop I thought to myself about investing in a HD PVR to record the OS Battlefield 3 Clan Battles/Practices/Casual Play and more. Now I have looked at few and am not to sure what's the best and what could be a potential let down, because highest pricing doesn't always mean it is the best on the market or just as good as a lower price. So if anyone has any suggestions on a good HD Gaiming PVR I would love to hear of it and also how well it works for you and how much you payed so that I can feel better about my eventual choice.

Ones I am looking at right now:
AVERMEDIA C281 Game Capture HD ($131.99 AMAZON)
Hauppauge 1445 HD-PVR Gaming Edition($194.99 AMAZON)
YouTube: TBD

Last edited by PaperBoyx703; 03-26-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: HD Gaming PVR Suggestions/Discussion

The Hauppauge is what a lot of people use. I myself us an internal capture card, but since you're using a laptop, that's out of the question.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

I use the Hauppage 1212, which is basically the same as the 1445, except it didn't come with the universal component video cable to connect your console to the back of your PVR. If you already have a cable, then you can probably save a few dollars by getting the 1212. They both come with composite cables that go from the PVR to your TV. Oh, and the 1445 has a green light, while the 1212 is green. The included software is slightly different, but overall, they do the same thing. One last thing, I heard that the compression was a little better on the 1445, but I don't know how true that is... it is nominal if any.

My gameplay vids (non-replay or highlights) on my YouTube page were all captured using the 1212, with the exception of one, which was done with the 1445. (I will have to go back to verify which one.)

YouTube

Last edited by thaSLAB; 03-27-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

The software is a tad bit different in the gaming edition as well. The 1212 has a built in file converter in their software, the 1445 does not. Either way to be honest you will want to use Sony Vegas to edit and render your files anyway.

Hauppage is definitely the way to go.

The only reason you should get the avermedia is IF you already have a portable USB HDD laying around the house already, because the avermedia doesn't come with a HDD, nor does it connect to a PC.

So if you have a to buy a HDD, you might as well get the Hauppage then. Oh yeah FYI, the USB cord with the Hauppage is short, like only 6ft long type of short. Therefore you probably have to rearrange some things.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I have the Hauppauge and have been satisfied

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Another vote for Hauppauge! I love mine, excellent quality and software is really easy to use.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
The software is a tad bit different in the gaming edition as well. The 1212 has a built in file converter in their software, the 1445 does not. Either way to be honest you will want to use Sony Vegas to edit and render your files anyway.

Hauppage is definitely the way to go.

The only reason you should get the avermedia is IF you already have a portable USB HDD laying around the house already, because the avermedia doesn't come with a HDD, nor does it connect to a PC.

So if you have a to buy a HDD, you might as well get the Hauppage then. Oh yeah FYI, the USB cord with the Hauppage is short, like only 6ft long type of short. Therefore you probably have to rearrange some things.
I also agree with this, I use Sony Vegas 9 and I wouldn't use anything else. So much possibilities soooooo little time
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Good point. I meant to mention that too.

Quote:
Oh yeah FYI, the USB cord with the Hauppage is short, like only 6ft long type of short. Therefore you probably have to rearrange some things.
LOL, yeah definitely worth mentioning. He'll probably have to bring his laptop TO the Hauppauge.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either of the Hauppauge units.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-3

YouTube

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »