Home

Kinect Reviews

This is a discussion on Kinect Reviews within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Kinect Reviews

They are starting to pour in...........

IGN = 7.5

------------------------------------

Gamespot Impressions

------------------------------------

Kotaku

Quote:
It was ironic that in searching for an electric socket in which to plug my Kinect a week ago, I had to unplug my Wii. I now need to find a second socket. Kinect doesn't replace the Wii any more than it does an Xbox controller. It's not even a sure thing as a games platform, not until it has its first great game. But it doesn't have to be. If Kinect becomes nothing more than a replacement for the TV remote, it'll prove to be a winner. For its launch price, though, it needs to be more. If Microsoft keeps supporting it, and if its flaws can be patched and improved through software, Kinect can be revolutionary.

What We Loved and What we Hated

-------------------------------------

Gizmodo

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 11-04-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
MVP

Tiko7523's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Kinect Reviews

it is interesting i just wish it didnt have so much specifications for it to work well.... like having to be in a lighted room, also having to have space in your living room.

PSN gamertag Tiko7523
Xbox Live Tag: Tiko7523
Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #3
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Seems like teh Kinect itself is pretty good form most reviews. The software is what's lacking though at the moment and that's lowering ratings.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

Joystiq weighs in: "For all the talk of revolutionizing the Xbox 360 experience and making gaming more natural/ accessible, it's bordering on absurd how broken Kinect is when it comes to something as simple as working in your home. I find the technology itself fascinating, but the fact that I know a lot of people who simply won't get Kinect to work in their rooms beyond troubling. Given that Microsoft conducted a beta program with actual consumers, this issue is doubly surprising, but it could just be that Kinect just works that way (or doesn't, given your room) and there's no way short of redesigning the sensor to fix it."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/04/kinect-review/

Glad I am waiting to see how it goes before purchasing.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I can give you this much info.

Yes, 6 feet from your TV is the bare minimum, 8 feet works perfectly. Yes you need open space, but Joystiq harping on it, it's pretty much a given. Unlike the Wii or even Move, there is no controller, it's all motion, all you moving as the controller, not sure how this is an issue that they are just now bringing up.

I have a very well lit room and it works fine, again, not sure on that. I've tried it in very bright situations and very dark ones, works fine both ways.

The technology is VERY impressive, especially the voice capabilities.

That being said, it's a novelty, it will wear off if the Wii wore off on you.

The games. Just going off what I've played.

Kinect Adventures is included for a reason, it's God awful terrible. Barely any fun, you'll play it for 10-15 minutes and probably never again. Just not a fun game.

I've seen some reviews bash Kinect Sports with Bowling, honestly, I found it more fun than Wii Bowling. Very, very fun game, love the volleyball as well. This is a game you definitely need room for, as you move all around the beach court that is on the ground.

Joy Ride. I can see it being fun, just never grabbed me like I hoped.

Will be trying out Kinectimals, Dance Central, and Yourself Fitness later tonight.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I can give you this much info.

Yes, 6 feet from your TV is the bare minimum, 8 feet works perfectly. Yes you need open space, but Joystiq harping on it, it's pretty much a given. Unlike the Wii or even Move, there is no controller, it's all motion, all you moving as the controller, not sure how this is an issue that they are just now bringing up.

I have a very well lit room and it works fine, again, not sure on that. I've tried it in very bright situations and very dark ones, works fine both ways.

The technology is VERY impressive, especially the voice capabilities.

That being said, it's a novelty, it will wear off if the Wii wore off on you.

The games. Just going off what I've played.

Kinect Adventures is included for a reason, it's God awful terrible. Barely any fun, you'll play it for 10-15 minutes and probably never again. Just not a fun game.

I've seen some reviews bash Kinect Sports with Bowling, honestly, I found it more fun than Wii Bowling. Very, very fun game, love the volleyball as well. This is a game you definitely need room for, as you move all around the beach court that is on the ground.

Joy Ride. I can see it being fun, just never grabbed me like I hoped.

Will be trying out Kinectimals, Dance Central, and Yourself Fitness later tonight.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
I think both Move and Kinect are hampered by not so great launch titles......but MS has the better launch lineup over Move. I am waiting this thing out a little bit, but I would get Kinect Sports, Kinectimals and Dance Central for sure. Nothing on the Move launch window made me want to shell out $40.......besides maybe wanting to get Brunswick Bowling. Lights Out did get one bad review so far, it will be interesting to see what others rate it. The longer that both Move and Kinect can be successful, the longer this generation of gaming will last.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/04/k...ox-360-review/

I think the 6 feet space requirement will be the major downfall, with price being the second.

As is, it sounds like some good hardware that can grow to great heights if Microsoft supports it correctly.

I'll pass for now.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I agree with that, had it been $99, I think it would have sold much better. $150 is not a good price point, and I'm almost shocked they stuck with it. Especially bundling such a ****ty game with it. LOL

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »