Home

Your thoughts on Achievements/Trophies?

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on Achievements/Trophies? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Your thoughts on Achievements/Trophies?

Hate them with a passion, if I could turn them off entirely I would be a little more indifferent.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Correct, it's a zero achievement, but if you are a completionist, you're going to go insane if you say have 49/50 achievements. I don't know the rest of the FIFA ones, but you get what I'm saying. Even being zero, there's still an achievement competition percentage that it would negatively affect if you didn't get it.
If it comes to that, I'd probably reccommend that person put down their controller for a little while. But I guess you are right that there are people out there like that.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever gotten 100% of the achievements on any game.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I always hated them and I always viewed them as stroking your ego more then anything else. I don't ever read about what acheivements are in games at all. I just play the game to beat the game and that is it. If I unlock something that is cool, if I don't that is cool as well.

I don't need a motive or incentive to replay a game. Nobody does really, if your game is GOOD, people will replay it. I remember when I was in high school, I replayed Wing Commander 4 at least 8 or 10 times. Why ? Because the game was simply that damn good, plus it had 4 different endings and dozens of different paths you could take to beat the game. And this was on the PS One.

I beat Socom 1 & 2 several times because of the same thing, game was just a blast to play. If you got to rely on acheivements and trophies for replay value, then something is wrong with your game.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
First off, I think achievments/trophies should ALL be hidden.
I can nearly agree with this. But again, if it's not something ridiculous that you wouldn't normally do (like watching the credits reel of a game or something), this sounds like a more formidable way to approach trophies IMO.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #21
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I always hated them and I always viewed them as stroking your ego more then anything else. I don't ever read about what acheivements are in games at all. I just play the game to beat the game and that is it. If I unlock something that is cool, if I don't that is cool as well.

I don't need a motive or incentive to replay a game. Nobody does really, if your game is GOOD, people will replay it. I remember when I was in high school, I replayed Wing Commander 4 at least 8 or 10 times. Why ? Because the game was simply that damn good, plus it had 4 different endings and dozens of different paths you could take to beat the game. And this was on the PS One.

I beat Socom 1 & 2 several times because of the same thing, game was just a blast to play. If you got to rely on acheivements and trophies for replay value, then something is wrong with your game.
Well I would just like something more which says I won something, you know? I remember some old SNES games where once you beat the game, there's nothing. It says "You Win" then goes back to the main menu. You like having some ending cinematic, credits rolling, something which makes it feel more valuable. In this case, a trophy/achievement is always nice to get.

I don't go down looking at the list and aim for 100%. I don't have one platinum and I only have several gold ones. Though I've nearly completed the list for Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time and there's one trophy I can't possibly get now because of the order I accomplished one thing over the other in the storyline. Even replaying the game won't allow me to get it. I would love to use that PS3 hack for this one because I feel I deserve it and know I would have it by now. Is that for me to stroke my ego? No. I just feel like I deserve a platinum by this point is all (or I will when I finish what I need to).

I see it as an incentive, I don't know how else to say it but it is rewarding to hear that little jingle each time I earn one. I don't know why I get one for completing the first mission of a game though.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
MVP

adice15's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well I would just like something more which says I won something, you know? I remember some old SNES games where once you beat the game, there's nothing. It says "You Win" then goes back to the main menu. You like having some ending cinematic, credits rolling, something which makes it feel more valuable. In this case, a trophy/achievement is always nice to get.

I don't go down looking at the list and aim for 100%. I don't have one platinum and I only have several gold ones. Though I've nearly completed the list for Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time and there's one trophy I can't possibly get now because of the order I accomplished one thing over the other in the storyline. Even replaying the game won't allow me to get it. I would love to use that PS3 hack for this one because I feel I deserve it and know I would have it by now. Is that for me to stroke my ego? No. I just feel like I deserve a platinum by this point is all (or I will when I finish what I need to).

I see it as an incentive, I don't know how else to say it but it is rewarding to hear that little jingle each time I earn one. I don't know why I get one for completing the first mission of a game though.
Which trophy did you miss?

Founder of OS Emu Clan.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #23
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adice15
Which trophy did you miss?
The Samaritan trophy. Read up on the "glitch" as to why it becomes impossible if you do one thing before another one, and hopefully you don't make the same mistake or haven't already.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #24
MVP

adice15's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
The Samaritan trophy. Read up on the "glitch" as to why it becomes impossible if you do one thing before another one, and hopefully you don't make the same mistake or haven't already.
Nope I haven't got that gun yet. I read that the trophy is still possible to get though: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/rat...hy-glitch.html

Founder of OS Emu Clan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »