Home

Nintendo E3 2011 Discussion Thread (Press - 6/7)

This is a discussion on Nintendo E3 2011 Discussion Thread (Press - 6/7) within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Nintendo E3 2011 Discussion Thread (Press - 6/7)

The press conference is on Tuesday, June 7 at 9:00AM PST/11AM CT/12PM ET.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Nintendo E3 2011 Discussion Thread (Press - 6/7)

http://e3.nintendo.com/ for live stream, plus trailers and videos available afterwards
Old 05-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

I'm pretty excited to see what they've got in store.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ostPageIndex=3
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 AM   #5

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I'm pretty excited to see what they've got in store.
Agreed.

The next Wii or whatever they are going to call it may be my next console. Hopefully backward compatible so I can play the new classics like Donkey Kong, Mario, etc from the original Wii.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Nikkei Confirms Wii 2 Controller Details

Quote:
In advance of Nintendo's E3 press conference next week, Nikkei has leaked out details on the Wii successor. The report (registration required) mirrors much of what has surfaced over the past few weeks.

Wii 2 will feature a new type of controller that includes a touch screen. The controller will give tablet-like controls to games, tapping the touch panel to control the characters on your television, for instance. The controller can also be used as a portable game machine.

The touch panel on the controller is six inches. The controller itself has a built in rechargeable battery and includes a camera. The camera can be used for a variety of play opportunities -- for instance, a player making an avatar of himself for use in a game.

Nikkei says that Wii 2 could be released as early as mid of 2012. The site lists the system as "Wii successor console."
Old 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless
Sounds more expensive than what we normally see from Nintendo. Also, there's pretty much no way I'd buy a DS f I got this thing.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

From an article back in April.

1UP

Quote:
With Project Cafe, Nintendo aims to create the first social game console. What do I mean by this? Well, here's where you have to start imagining the future with me. First off, no more friend codes, that's for damn sure. But start to think about what a company like Nintendo would want to do to have players gaming and sharing together. Take a look at what it's done with StreetPass on the 3DS (where players' items and achievements can be shared with others nearby even when the system is closed) and think about what it could do on its next connected console. Nintendo merely scratched the surface with its Mii parade (where peoples' virtual avatars could migrate to others' machines) and user generated polls on the Wii -- 5 years later, the company has much more ambitious plans. The new console will be designed around the concept of connecting, sharing, and gaming with others. Like you were gaming together in a café, if you will.

I'll take things a step further. Care to guess where the name "Stream" comes from? You've likely seen the supposed leaked image of the system's ability to stream games to its controller screens, but my understanding is that Nintendo aims to take this concept further and stream video of games being played to other peoples' machines so that friends can see what each other are up to. When you look at Nintendo consoles and handhelds, there's often a clear progression of its intent -- what starts as an experimental feature in one generation fully takes form in another. Chris Kohler just pointed out on Wired, for instance, that Project Cafe's touch-screen controller makes perfect sense if you look at Nintendo's past with the GBA to GameCube link cable.

So when I see the current Wii's dashboard of different TV screens, I can't help but think of that concept taken to the next level: seeing all of my friends' games playing in the different windows. You know, not that unlike what OnLive offers with its streaming service. Forget Facebook alerting you to what your friends have been doing in their games -- how about a platform that actually shows you?

But here's where things get potentially even cooler. Imagine seeing your friend's game in one of the screens. You click on it, and -- provided you have the game too -- you then seamlessly join his or her game. No waiting until the next match and no buffering to sync up consoles. Just a seamless online experience, exactly as Nintendo would want it. And the beauty of this is that the concept extends to not only new games, but potentially Nintendo's back catalog of classics. Got a friend racing the AI in Super Mario Kart? What if the game was retrofitted so that you could hop right in at any given moment? That, my friends, may well be the promise of Project Cafe.
Quote:
One of the features I remember Nintendo touting in the early days of the Wii that never really materialized was the ability to push content to the console since it's always on. Sure, we ended up with emails telling us what we played and what not, but the concept was supposed to be so much more -- you were supposed to be able to check your machine each day and have new things waiting for you. So now, imagine checking your Project Cafe each morning and seeing new creations from your friends or even Nintendo. New levels for games, new characters or items to use, new demos for games you're interested in -- there could be all sorts of new things to see and do each time you open your console. I'm telling you, whether Nintendo pulls this off or not, there's a console experience here that's far more enticing than the one we're used to today.

And that's the thing I want to make clear about all of this: I really have no idea how much of this Nintendo will actually achieve with its new console. Again, Nintendo is hardly a company with a proven track record when it comes to online. But Nintendo does get social experiences, and if it's really ready to take the plunge on consoles, I believe it could revolutionize the market again, just as it did with the motion control interface last generation.

So when Stream or whatever it's eventually called is finally released and not everything is exactly as I hypothesized here, don't be shocked or disappointed. I just wanted to give you a taste of some of the rumblings I've heard, if only to paint a picture of what could be, regardless of how it ultimately takes shape. But I can at least assure you of two things: 1. This is absolutely the direction Nintendo is headed with its next console, and 2. Regardless of whether this all materializes in Project Cafe or in some console or handheld later, the future of social gaming as envisioned by Nintendo is sounding pretty darn exciting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »