Home

PS3 vs Xbox 360: Which is better for sports gaming?

This is a discussion on PS3 vs Xbox 360: Which is better for sports gaming? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Rookie

MoneyMonti's Arena

OVR: 0
PS3 vs Xbox 360: Which is better for sports gaming?

I currently have an Xbox 360 pro version. But I'm gonna upgrade wither to an Xbox 360 s pr a PS3 slim. I play sports games primarily, which system is better for this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: PS3 vs Xbox 360: Which is better for sports gaming?

This thread might not last, but just know that most sports games that are on both systems are first coded and designed through Xbox 360, and then ported over to PS3. Normally, this will lead to some lingering effects on the visuals for the PS3 side (jaggies, rendering, lighting, framerate, etc.). It's not insufferable, and in fact it probably isn't noticeable unless you play both next to each other, but the difference still seems to be there.

Otherwise, keep in mind that PS3 holds MLB The Show exclusively to their console. I can't think of any other major disc-based sports games that are exclusive to one console or the other, but for many baseball fans, this is a biggie.

Also, I would say that the controller is a bit of a factor. Many people I know really like the 360 controller, especially for shooters. I, for one, prefer the PlayStation controller. Its symmetry and convex sticks are the selling points for me. Add the dual-triggers, and you're all set with that puppy. This decision would obviously be of your preference.

The final thing you might have to consider is online play, if you do such a thing. Who do you want to play with? That's all.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 09-06-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I am mainly a PS3er, but year after year of EA Sports having better 360 titles made me move over to the 360 for EA Sports games. The look better and the things as basic as menus seem more responsive to me. The Show looks and plays awesome on the PS3, so I'm not sure what EA's deal is with why their PS3 versions are inferior. Haven't played a 2k game in a lot of years outside of Top Spin, so I can't really comment on the difference between PS3 and 360 with their titles.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Whichever controller you like the best and friends on each. However I have and play both versions of Madden (a league on both) and if I could only play 1, it would be the 360 version. Menu and player editing is smoother and IMO the on field textures look better.
Also I have more friends on LIVE than on PSN.

Like earlier said though.. If you want the best baseball game by far you'll need a PS3. Any other sports I'd like the 360.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

I prefer the 360 for sports games, mainly for the controller.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 7

If you love baseball then the PS3 is a must. But all other sports games including EA games and 2K games look a bit better on 360.

When it comes to shooters, the 360 controller is KING. I do like the PS3 controller better for sports games but not shooters.

If smoothness and graphics are important to you then go with 360

If free online, and baseball is important to you and graphics dont mean much then go with PS3

This is just based on sports.

Exclusives are down right PS3

360 has some good ones but PS3 is better.

Me personally I am more of a multi platform gamer therefore the only sports game I get on PS3 is the show and this year madden due to co workers online league.

Good Luck

Or just get both and be happy
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30

I just bought a 360 primarily for NBA 2K12. When I saw how good my friends' game looked compared to my PS3 version, I knew I was getting one. It makes a world of a difference. I still prefer the Dual Shock over the 360 controller though. It's going to take some getting used to.

I do think sports games in general do look smoother for some reason on the 360.
PSN: xxplosive1984
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/os_scoobysnax/profile
Old 09-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

I dont own a XBOX 360 but graphic wise the 360 looks better but I like Sonys controller better and you get The Show. If you are a big baseball fan I would go with the PS3. If you dont like baseball then 360 may be better for you.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »