Home

Xbox One

This is a discussion on Xbox One within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #793
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
I work with databases and have seen the archives of data that is being collected, and how "useless" information can be transformed into huge detailed violations of your privacy. And all the actuary scientists and statisticians that are being hired to look at this data and make correlations that you & I would never think of.
Easiest way to get people to openly accept 24/7 surveillance, is to put it in devices people are hooked on and enjoy.

People need to think long and hard about this. Conversations are no longer "private".

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 04-06-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #794
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: Xbox 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
If Microsoft had/has a good reason why the console needs to be connected all the time this wouldn't be a problem. But as far as I can tell there isnt one.
I think it's because of ads.
When people ask why gold members see ads I always tell them because silver never have a reason to be online other than to dl or update something so they almost never see them. If everyone always has to be online then everyone will always see them. Of course the ammount of customers they should lose because of this undercuts the whole thing.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #795
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

What are the statistics of gold versus silver? What are the statistics for the 360s that have been online versus those who never have put it on? I'm honestly not a fan of this always online just as I'm not a fan of having to pay for matchmaking on the XBOX. Majority of people are not going to be into the always on. Play station having the free multiplayer and used games being. Me to be played will win this war within the first year easily. First-party games are already less than stellar on the XBOX 360. Sony is definitely in it to win. Microsoft might even fall behind the Wii U pulling a move like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #796
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

MS where are you with the reveal? Like most I hope this all ways on always needing internet is not true...this will really hurt their next gen console for sure. Thing is if Adam Orth is what most of MS thinks about this then they will do it and the only thing that will make them even consider changing their minds is if at the reveal when they say Always On always needing an Internet connection most of the people get up and walk out.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #797
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I've already said that I think always-online is stupid but what's funny to me is that all the people I've seen who are the most vocal in their opposition (not just here or on the internet) are people who are online every day of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
That's the thing that makes it funny to me. You have some commenting (over at Kotaku) on articles that only people that are very interested in this stuff will see. And, if you are very interested, you will surely have some type of "always on" device so you can get the latest word on things...you are interested in.

There is this stubbornness I am seeing that tends to show itself in human nature when things change. I also think the "always on" thing isn't necessary, but for me I'm in a position where, if my internet isn't working, I'm not able to watch anything on TV. All our TV entertainment is done via the 360, so I have to be always on. And, it is very rare that I do not have a connection. So being always connected is essential for me.

But even beyond that, I want my device to be always connected. I enjoy the "live" feel that my phone has with things updating and me being notified about it. I like the ability to filter that information to my liking. I like getting on my xbox and browsing updates, demos, friends' activity etc. It's a very natural thing.

And again, the only ones debating this entire topic are people that are always on....so what's the big deal?

Right, but the problem is, always-on is a 2-way street. What happens when Microsoft's servers/ XBox Live goes down? Or is overloaded when a new game drops? I can see it now...can't play GTA VI because too many people on all at once...
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #798
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
And Sim City followed Diablo 3, an always-online game that had server problems at launch but didn't dissuade anyone from getting Sim City. I don't trust any of this outrage until I see people actually do something other than whine on forums, and I'm pretty sure that that's Microsoft's strategy too.
Right, but if there were other games that were essentially exactly like Diablo 3 or SimCity with similar brand name-recognition that did not require you to be always online, which one do you think more people would have bought?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #799
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
I think it's because of ads.
When people ask why gold members see ads I always tell them because silver never have a reason to be online other than to dl or update something so they almost never see them. If everyone always has to be online then everyone will always see them. Of course the ammount of customers they should lose because of this undercuts the whole thing.
Ads are a part of it. They obviously want complete control and monitoring over what each one of their boxes do. Some anti-piracy ambitions, along with control over advertisements. But not a thing that suggests its in the consumer's benefit. Im not sure about some of this spying stuff some people are speaking but Im not really a fan of the kinect being required and functional 24/7
Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #800
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Ads are a part of it. They obviously want complete control and monitoring over what each one of their boxes do. Some anti-piracy ambitions, along with control over advertisements. But not a thing that suggests its in the consumer's benefit. Im not sure about some of this spying stuff some people are speaking but Im not really a fan of the kinect being required and functional 24/7
Because the benefits haven't been leaked/rumored. Like SimCity and Diablo, they aren't doing it just because they can (region play/features and the real money auction house in their cases). 'So we can deliver the best targeted ads' isn't going to fly either.

I wouldn't be surprised if mandatory kinect and online are simply the common denominators of the environment, rather than a requirement to even look in the consoles general direction like some of these replies are expecting. Some games may require one or the other, but I'd be surprised to see the console require both 100% of the time.

Stop making yourselves look silly with the spy stuff though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »