Home

Setting up Xbox Live

This is a discussion on Setting up Xbox Live within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Go Titans..

OVR: 34
Setting up Xbox Live

Alright I've got a friend of mine and he's been begging me to get on live so we can play madden, and today I've decided to put forth a little effort to see if it's possible. I understand I have to pay for Live itself, but my main question is just about getting the wireless connection.

I've got a Netgear adapter hooked up to my desktop to supply a wireless internet connection around the house for the other desktops.

My questions are this -

Can I just buy another adapter like the netgear and just plug it into the USB on the Xbox and be set?

Can I get an ethernet cable and just plug it in to the xbox and desktop and be set?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 4
Best bet is buy the Xbox wireless adapter. You can rig it between the computer and Xbox without it, but I don't recommend it.

On, On, On, To Victory!!

Gamertag: stewgilligan
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Go Titans..

OVR: 34
Re: Setting up Xbox Live

Bumping this for some more suggestions. Come on guys
Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_OS
Alright I've got a friend of mine and he's been begging me to get on live so we can play madden, and today I've decided to put forth a little effort to see if it's possible. I understand I have to pay for Live itself, but my main question is just about getting the wireless connection.

I've got a Netgear adapter hooked up to my desktop to supply a wireless internet connection around the house for the other desktops.

My questions are this -

Can I just buy another adapter like the netgear and just plug it into the USB on the Xbox and be set?

Can I get an ethernet cable and just plug it in to the xbox and desktop and be set?
A hardwire connection Is always best, if you want to use a wireless connection you will need the Xbox wireless adapter.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
If you have a slim, then your half way there as the slim is wireless already. No need for an adapter.

It should automatically pick up your connection

Sent from Awesome Phone
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Like Cusefan said, the hardwire connection is always going to be better. I wouldn't go wireless unless it's your only option to prevent lag with the online gaming.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN
Like Cusefan said, the hardwire connection is always going to be better. I wouldn't go wireless unless it's your only option to prevent lag with the online gaming.
Yeah, I have a wireless router, but got better performance when I used an ethernet cable instead.

If you have the option and it's not tough to wire it like that then you'll be better off, but otherwise wireless will work (on a slim, otherwise you need the adapter)
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8
Depending on the Xbox you have your options will be different.

Your best option for all models will be a hard wired connection straight from your router to your Xbox with an Ethernet cable.

If you don't want a cable running across your house you can always connect wirelessly. If you have the new Xbox slim you don't need to buy anything just go to your settings on ur Xbox and connect to your network.

If you have an older model Xbox you will need to purchase a wireless adaptor that will connect to the back of your Xbox.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002RS...=operasport-20

After you plug that in you can go into your network settings on ur Xbox and connect to your wireless network.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »