Home

AMD Reveals Avatar-Like Graphics For The Upcoming Xbox 720

This is a discussion on AMD Reveals Avatar-Like Graphics For The Upcoming Xbox 720 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: AMD Reveals Avatar-Like Graphics For The Upcoming Xbox 720

This isn't tech marketing, it's just awful journalism.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
The article may be poorly written and/or translated, but the comment about "Avatar-like" graphics was drawn from tech hype.

This was not the first article to quote that from AMD. I read it about a month ago as well.

Every console generation we get "Pixar-like" speak. And it never delivers.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
MVP

mestevo's Arena

That's because the quotes are 8+ months old and were ridiculous to begin with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37

I think the leap will be more than people think. People can say that computer graphics aren't that much better than consoles, but remember, developers can't create a game with super graphics that only supports huge computers. They have to lower certain things to support everyone. With a console, there are no restrictions, besides obvious limits.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
I think the leap will be more than people think. People can say that computer graphics aren't that much better than consoles, but remember, developers can't create a game with super graphics that only supports huge computers. They have to lower certain things to support everyone. With a console, there are no restrictions, besides obvious limits.
This kinda of makes no sense. Games are developed to the technology available, that is why computer games offer scaled down versions of itself for lower end machines. So if you have the best of the best out there you can crank the graphics to 11, but if you have a mid range PC you can run it on medium settings with less shader work being done, less bump mapping, lower res textures, etc etc.

Another words even when these new consoles drop they will not be much better than the graphics available to high end gaming machines now. Technology and new ways to go around technical difficulties will be developed that allow games to look better but from strictly a hardware perspective, "next-gen" consoles will be on par with high end gaming PC's running 500 dollar video cards and 8 gigs of ram. It is the tech being written that allows these resources to be used in a better manner that will give slightly better graphics than current PC games. BUT PC games will continue to look better than consoles always.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
Well I agree, but the hardware they are putting in the consoles (graphics cards) are already being used in PC's now. It simply is not going to be as good as advertised. I will certainly eat my words if I am proven wrong, but I just don't believe it.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Consoles could see a brief time 'on top' because of the synergy between the hardware involved but it would be a brief advantage at best.

Hopefully someone really pushes the envelope (and remains successful) or they get a lot out of the currently available hardware they select, since that will become the lowest common denominator for PC ports for the foreseeable future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
This kinda of makes no sense. Games are developed to the technology available, that is why computer games offer scaled down versions of itself for lower end machines. So if you have the best of the best out there you can crank the graphics to 11, but if you have a mid range PC you can run it on medium settings with less shader work being done, less bump mapping, lower res textures, etc etc.

Another words even when these new consoles drop they will not be much better than the graphics available to high end gaming machines now. Technology and new ways to go around technical difficulties will be developed that allow games to look better but from strictly a hardware perspective, "next-gen" consoles will be on par with high end gaming PC's running 500 dollar video cards and 8 gigs of ram. It is the tech being written that allows these resources to be used in a better manner that will give slightly better graphics than current PC games. BUT PC games will continue to look better than consoles always.
Not even certain that the new consoles will look better than current pc's now. You are still hindered by HDTV resolution of 1920x1080. You have resolutions that far exceed that on PC monitors that will look sharper and crisper than what the tv's will put out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »