Home

HD Gaming PVR Suggestions/Discussion

This is a discussion on HD Gaming PVR Suggestions/Discussion within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #33
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: HD Gaming PVR Suggestions/Discussion

The 2 does HDMI. Now, I kinda want to get one of these.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob

The 2 does HDMI. Now, I kinda want to get one of these.
I understand that it does HDMI, but customers are saying that the PS3 has some sort of copyright protection thing against using HDMI with it, or something like that.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

Sorry, didn't understand that. Thanks for the heads up as I was really looking into getting one.

Twitch

Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #36
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Sorry, didn't understand that. Thanks for the heads up as I was really looking into getting one.
Well, so am I. Somebody in another thread said they're making that up or something, but I don't really know what the clear answer is.

If you don't mind using component, I'll sell you mine if I can find one the PS3 can use HDMI with. I don't mind component, but I have to do so much cable switching in the back to make it happen. It's tremendously inconvenient for me.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #37
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

I've got a component one already. I just prefer HDMI and hate switching back and forth to record madden games. Thanks though.

As far as switching. You tired to just keep them both connected and just switch from the PS3? That is what I do. It's easier than going back and forth. When I want HDMI I just change the settings on the PS3 and visa verse. No more going back and forth.

Twitch

Year 1:

Last edited by N51_rob; 12-08-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #38
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
I've got a component one already. I just prefer HDMI and hate switching back and forth to record madden games. Thanks though.

As far as switching. You tired to just keep them both connected and just switch from the PS3? That is what I do. It's easier than going back and forth. When I want HDMI I just change the settings on the PS3 and visa verse. No more going back and forth.
Actually, my setup is really tricky. If you want to hear the description, continue below...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

There's my bedroom, and there are two TV's. Under my stand I have my HD-PVR, PS3, cable box, and receiver among other things. My PS3 and cable box are both connected to my receiver via HDMI, and outputs to my big TV. I also gave myself the option to be able to watch cable on my small TV by outputting to component. To let them both output at the same time, I choose to have one or the other connected to my HD-PVR, which then outputs component to the small TV. If I ever wanted to connect my HD-PVR to my big TV, I have a separate set of component cables running out from the input of the big TV that I could run into the HD-PVR's output.

By default, I have the TV component cables connected to my HD-PVR, and running out to my small TV. If I ever had to do something as drastic as wanting to record PS3 material and play off my big TV, I'd have to disconnect the output and input component cables running into the HD-PVR (that connect my cable box and small TV), connect the component cables running from my PS3 and running from my big TV into the output and input sections, switch my PS3 to component by resetting the display configuration, and then change my theme, color, and background settings again since it all erases. Now I can't watch TV meanwhile either... unless I bring my component cables that were running into the HD-PVR all the way around from the back, unplug the component cables going into my TV that were from the HD-PVR connection, and then plug in those cable box cables. To be able to bring everything back, I would have to go in reverse. Oh, and I haven't even gotten into the optical cables.

The much more beneficial option would be to have everything run into my receiver via HDMI so one cable can run straight into the HD-PVR 2, allow myself to still have digital/lossless audio, and the switch is only by pressing one single button on my Harmony remote like I normally would anyway. If there is a component input option on this thing, the only switch I would have to make to record/play on my small TV would be from the PS3, like you do/said.

Of course, none of this is possible if I can't use my PS3 through HDMI with this.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #39
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well, so am I. Somebody in another thread said they're making that up or something, but I don't really know what the clear answer is.

If you don't mind using component, I'll sell you mine if I can find one the PS3 can use HDMI with. I don't mind component, but I have to do so much cable switching in the back to make it happen. It's tremendously inconvenient for me.
Supposedly
"the PS3 encodes the HDCP signal, which your TV can decode, but all HDMI capture devices can't."

Now this was from a while back so unless things have changed you can't use HDMI to record with the PS3 without using an HDMI to Component converter.

I use the Gaming Edition(1st one) on my 360 and it just became to cluttered in my room so I unhooked it. Worked great though.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 12-08-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 17

Thinking of getting a HD PVR 2 for Christmas and found this video. It bypasses the HDCP with the use of some converters. It also has a link to someone who used the same method with the HD PVR 2. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4BkAzkCV8&feature=plcp

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »