Home

OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

This is a discussion on OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #89
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Thanks for the advice. I will be building with a new case and will not be purchasing a monitor. I plan to hook it up directly to my TV via HDMI.
Oh nice well you will be able to build a beast rig!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #90
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
An i5 2500k is a nice processor that won't break the bank and is easy to over clock.
Choadler I wanted to comment on this. Not directed strictly at you but the entire overclock mentality I don't really agree with.

Between blue screens, random crashes, increase temps, and loss of stability. I find the headache compared to the positives is not worth the effort. Spending several days getting everything overclocked and stable only to achieve 3 to 5 more frames per second does not seem remotely worth it to me.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #91
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Choadler I wanted to comment on this. Not directed strictly at you but the entire overclock mentality I don't really agree with.

Between blue screens, random crashes, increase temps, and loss of stability. I find the headache compared to the positives is not worth the effort. Spending several days getting everything overclocked and stable only to achieve 3 to 5 more frames per second does not seem remotely worth it to me.
Phobia, I agree to a certain extent. I was able to over lock my system within 10minutes without a single crash to desktop. Some processors are easier to oc then others. Some mobo's are easier to oc on then others. I was able to go from a 3.0 to a 3.6 ghz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #92
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
Phobia, I agree to a certain extent. I was able to over lock my system within 10minutes without a single crash to desktop. Some processors are easier to oc then others. Some mobo's are easier to oc on then others. I was able to go from a 3.0 to a 3.6 ghz.
Yea it does depend on a number of factors, what your overclocking, and how many different components. I just find the increase is so minimal to lack the reason.

Another words, I would be interested to see what your FPS increased by going from 3.0 to 3.6. Run a game without the overclock, log results, then run game same area with overclock. I doubt your increase is very noticeable.

This goes for games, loading, boot times, etc.

Everyone has their preference, some people LOVE overclocking and getting every last drop of power out of everything. Others like myself find the advantage not worth the effort.

I understand why people do it, I just don't like it
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #93
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Yeah, we're beyond the era of overclocking yielding significant gaming performance outside of extreme circumstances.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #94
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

To the Moon is finally coming to Steam.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #95
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Man, I fired up the Witcher 2 for the first time since buying it on sale a couple months ago... I love how the tutorial starts slow and then suddenly says 'ok now here are 10 other moves for you to remember'.

Anyways, what are people using in the living room for their keyboard/mouse, anything in particular? We've got a lapdock, but it's really more for having a laptop + mouse on it, a full size keyboard kinda cramps the mouse area.

Going to pick up a wireless keyboard and a 360 controller wireless receiver this weekend probably. Installing a lot of controller friend games on the living room PC.. racing, Dungeon Siege III, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #96
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Man, I fired up the Witcher 2 for the first time since buying it on sale a couple months ago... I love how the tutorial starts slow and then suddenly says 'ok now here are 10 other moves for you to remember'.

Anyways, what are people using in the living room for their keyboard/mouse, anything in particular? We've got a lapdock, but it's really more for having a laptop + mouse on it, a full size keyboard kinda cramps the mouse area.

Going to pick up a wireless keyboard and a 360 controller wireless receiver this weekend probably. Installing a lot of controller friend games on the living room PC.. racing, Dungeon Siege III, etc.
Adding PC gaming has been quite awesome for me and really wish I would of done more of it sometime back. I have my PC in the office and running a 25 ft HDMI cable to the plasma. The wireless 360 receiver signal can reach all the way to the other room which is great. I just need to still get a mouse/keybd that will reach to the other room. Now that I've been enjoying PC gaming, I would of built my rig a little differently a few weeks ago. I didn't think I would like it as much as I have. I've been able to max everything out without any hiccups and playing the Witcher 2 on here is like your jaw dropping to the floor and not being able to pick it up. I don't have ubersampling turned on so I can only imagine how things look with that on. The PC sales are great, where can you get the same game for $5-10 on the console when there is a sale?

The only real downside I see so far and its something to get used to again is when software isn't working properly. Obviously its not like popping a disc in your PS3/360 and than playing the game. I've had a few small setup issues, but with patience its worth it.

Mestevo, I'm like you, looking for those controller friendly PC games is a plus. I'll go the PC route now with third party games especially if there is controller support.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »