Home

OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

This is a discussion on OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #4313
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I'm really thinking about building my own PC as well but man, I'm pricing stuff out and I just can't see I'd save any money from just buying a prebuilt low-end gaming PC like Microcenter here in Columbus builds for about $600-800.

In fact it looks like it'd be more expensive by a couple of hundred bucks and I'd also have no warranty for it either. I don't mind the no-warranty stuff so much if I'm saving money but if I'm not and actually paying more, that's sort of a double whammy.

I mean one aspect is the Windows 10 license for a new build. For you guys who are knowledgeable could I use a pre-existing Windows 7 key that I have or if I'm using it already on another computer will it not work?

I ask because the way I installed Windows 10 on this PC is I had Windows 7 running on it from the way it came (it came with a disc) and I just upgraded it to Windows 10.
Reposting this since no one answered. What do you guys do about a Windows 10 install on a new build? Can you reuse a key from another, older unused computer? The price of a Windows 10 copy destroys my pricing.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #4314
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

If you upgraded from 7 to 10 in the free upgrade time, you would've gotten a new 10 license. You can technically use the old 7 license key again, but luck of the draw might get you deactivated by the licensing servers.

You can find a Windows 10 pro key for less than $50.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #4315
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Reposting this since no one answered. What do you guys do about a Windows 10 install on a new build? Can you reuse a key from another, older unused computer? The price of a Windows 10 copy destroys my pricing.
If you have a retail copy of windows 10, there shouldn't be an issue as long as only one computer is running the key. At worst you may have to activate by phone using their automative service, although that is something I've never had to do for 10.

If it's an OEM copy, then supposedly wouldn't be able to use it again as it locked to that computer. I've have success in re-using them in the past, but if it doesn't work and you try to contact MS, they would just refer you to your computer manufacturer as they don't support OEM keys. OEM key are cheaper and usually what you get if you buy a computer from Dell, HP, etc. But is often used by customer builders since it cheaper.

If the older computer is not going to be used, you can give it a shot. If it doesn't work, you should still be able to install Windows( may have to use a default key you can find by Google search to get it to install), just won't be activated yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #4316
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
If you have a retail copy of windows 10, there shouldn't be an issue as long as only one computer is running the key. At worst you may have to activate by phone using their automative service, although that is something I've never had to do for 10.

If it's an OEM copy, then supposedly wouldn't be able to use it again as it locked to that computer. I've have success in re-using them in the past, but if it doesn't work and you try to contact MS, they would just refer you to your computer manufacturer as they don't support OEM keys. OEM key are cheaper and usually what you get if you buy a computer from Dell, HP, etc. But is often used by customer builders since it cheaper.

If the older computer is not going to be used, you can give it a shot. If it doesn't work, you should still be able to install Windows( may have to use a default key you can find by Google search to get it to install), just won't be activated yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Ok, I have two retail copies of Windows 10 and I could just disable one of them I suppose and if needed use the phone activation. Thanks for the heads up.

And Windows 10 for $50..that helps ease the worry as well.. I've just seen them for like $100 but I've not really aggressively looked online either.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 07-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #4317
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Ok, I have two retail copies of Windows 10 and I could just disable one of them I suppose and if needed use the phone activation. Thanks for the heads up.

And Windows 10 for $50..that helps ease the worry as well.. I've just seen them for like $100 but I've not really aggressively looked online either.
You can score legit retail copies of Win10 Pro for $50 if you look good enough. Simple route of going to big chains will be $150 to $200.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #4318
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
You can score legit retail copies of Win10 Pro for $50 if you look good enough. Simple route of going to big chains will be $150 to $200.
I may ask for you guys help down the road if my Windows 10 reuse doesn't work. But we are a long ways from that, i don't even have a roadmap or funds at this point. At this point it's just a nagging idea LOL

I want a new PC and although it seems building it is not in any way I can see more cost effective, I think i just want to do it because I want to make a project out of it and use my own decision on every part.

But we'll see if I actually follow through on it LOL.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #4319
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPERNUT
Did it ever boot to begin with or just started doing this? Did you update to latest bios? Are you booting in UEFI mode in bios settings?
Yeah, always booted before. Played battlegrounds and such all the time. Just started doing this.

Not sure about update and not sure what UEFI mode is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
1) Which operating system is this? 7, 8, 10?
http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-...screen-cursor/

2) Do you have a system disk? If so, pop it in, boot to it, then do a "System Repair"

3) Do you use a virus scanner and/or go to shady sites? It could be caused by a virus, booting to safe mode and running malwarebytes.
1. Its windows 10.

2. Nope I do not. I did the automatic free windows 10 update. Its been years with this pc so I dont have the original windows disk anymore.

3. No. Use the pc for only Gaming and Youtube. Tried to run in safe mode but it goes to the same black screen.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Old 07-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #4320
Gaming Fool.

PAPERNUT's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
Yeah, always booted before. Played battlegrounds and such all the time. Just started doing this.

Not sure about update and not sure what UEFI mode is.1. Its windows 10.

2. Nope I do not. I did the automatic free windows 10 update. Its been years with this pc so I dont have the original windows disk anymore.

3. No. Use the pc for only Gaming and Youtube. Tried to run in safe mode but it goes to the same black screen.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Possible hard drive failure, but does sound more like a Windows error. I would update the bios on your motherboard to the latest version and try that first. I sometimes get a boot error from time to time with my Gigabyte one after Windows updates as they cause all kinds of hell. Try looking for profiles screen in bios and see if you find anything that says "last successful/good boot and try that. You should already be in UEFI. Look up errors in Google for your mobo model number and see if anything looks similar and troubleshoot from there. Last would check the hard drive as it may have failed.
Twitter
YouTube

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »