Home

My PS3 doesn't want to read discs

This is a discussion on My PS3 doesn't want to read discs within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: My PS3 doesn't want to read discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Loosely speaking they are priced around the same, but you are not just going to go out and buy a new PS3 blue ray drive. You can find a used model for 50 to 70 bucks, but you can get a brand new BD reader for PC in the 40 to 60 range. The repair of swapping a DVD drive or Hard Drive is hardly worthy of sending into the manufacturer. I can understand not everyone understanding how to swap a mobo, proc, or power supply. But when you are talking plug and play items which are no harder than plugging in a flash drive such as hard drives, dvd drives, even video cards or ram. Simply plug and go.
Swapping a PS3 drive is hardly worth sending it off to repair, but that's your argument. You are arguing that sending the PS3 off for a drive replacement is too expensive compared to changing a PC drive yourself. Apples to oranges.

Quote:
Also the reference of lighting strike, this is with any electrical device. Plus how often does this happen. I for one have never had this happen, granted I run good surge protectors. I still see the likely hood of this very slim. With that said though it is no differently, than blowing that brand new $600 dollar PS4 or swapping out blowing PC parts. The difference, is you must replace the entire console regardless of what blew. Where the PC your mobo, powersupply, and ram might be damaged but you proc, drives, case, video cards, etc might still be fine and working. So your expense of damage is still lessened because you can swap out only damaged pieces, not trash entire console. Notice you said "have a lighting strike fry half your PC". Half is still better than all to me.
Point is, send your PS3 to Sony and $100 gets you a working PS3, doesn't matter what's dead. Try that with a PC. Your argument that $100 to fix a PS3 was outrageous compared to repairing a PC but it was using an extremely inexpensive example, and if you are going to argue it that way the other extreme examples are valid as well. PC motherboards can die, pc power supplies can die (and take other components with it), these are all going to be more expensive repairs than sending a PS3 off to Sony. Also, a PS3 is modular to a point, the drives and power supply are all individual components so, no, just because one thing goes out doesn't mean the entire PS3 goes out.

Quote:
Lastly, it is not apples and oranges at all. A console is a PC, it is made up of same hardware. The difference is consoles are designed with a proprietary mindset for developers to build games based off one single "standard". This creates ease of use for the developer and the user. PC's are no differently than consoles except the single fact that many different manufacturers make hardware that anyone can use to build a rig. The difference between consoles and PC's in this regard is you can swap out your damaged hardware on PC and replace ONLY that hardware. On consoles this is not possible, unless you buy used parts off ebay, void warranty on console by opening up, and attempt to do it yourself.
If the console is under warranty, you'd have it fixed for free, it's pretty asinine to argue otherwise. Everything you said about replacing components on a PC can be done on a PS3.

I will reiterate: Comparing cost of repairing PC yourself vs sending a console off to be repaired isn't the same thing. Repairing your PC yourself and repairing a PS3 yourself is a valid comparison. Sending a PC to a repair shop and sending a PS3 to be repaired is valid.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: My PS3 doesn't want to read discs

If you say so

I can continue to argue this but lets just agree to disagree. Because this will get derailed FAST!

Bottom line you think it is comparable, I see none of that.

Edit: You also keep saying PS3, I was talking across the consoles from Wii, 360, to PS3. You are right PS3 is slightly better with components, but the other consoles are not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »